mchlwllmthms

Can VLC be run without a GUI, strictly from the command line

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:04 pm

What I really want is to launch images/videos/music files directly from the command line after boot... More specifically, though, what I'm ultimately hoping to achieve is output of karaoke mp3+cdg files from the command line, but first things first.

Is this doable? I've installed VLC, but I get a raft of errors when I try to open anything with it (just using "vlc 01.mp3", etc.). I just don't want to bother sifting through errors and log-files if it's not even a possibility to operate VLC this way. Would love some ideas!

Nr90

Re: Can VLC be run without a GUI, strictly from the command

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:21 pm

If you want to use a CLI video player why not use omxplayer?

Code: Select all

omxplayer -o hdmi somefile.avi
omxplayer is hardware accelerated.

gkreidl

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:28 pm

check the VLC documentation, especially for the
--interface
option-
With
--interface dummy
you can run it without any interface, but you will not be able to control anything; this is mostly for running VLC as a streaming server.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mchlwllmthms

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Nr90 wrote:If you want to use a CLI video player why not use omxplayer?

Code: Select all

omxplayer -o hdmi somefile.avi
omxplayer is hardware accelerated.
Doesn't look like omxplayer will support the cdg format that karaoke tracks use, but VLC does.

mchlwllmthms

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 pm

gkreidl wrote:check the VLC documentation, especially for the
--interface
option-
With
--interface dummy
you can run it without any interface, but you will not be able to control anything; this is mostly for running VLC as a streaming server.
What I'm attempting to do is to use a web interface (hosted on the pi) from a tablet/netbook/laptop/etc. to play mp3+cdg karaoke files displayed either via HDMI or via composite/analog, and use the web interface to start, stop, pause, etc...

sdjf

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 am

Have you heard of VNC aka Virtual Network Computing? It would enable you to log in to a desktop on the Pi if this application does not work out for running from command line. You would need to install VNC on both ends, the Pi would be a vnc server, your other computer would be the client.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

gkreidl

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:50 am

mchlwllmthms wrote: What I'm attempting to do is to use a web interface (hosted on the pi) from a tablet/netbook/laptop/etc. to play mp3+cdg karaoke files displayed either via HDMI or via composite/analog, and use the web interface to start, stop, pause, etc...
VLC has its own web interface (must be enabled). It's one of the --interface options.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Arch”