tfpereira

Oracle JVM?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi,
I know raspbian has it, but isn't the oracle JVM available on Arch? I've seen some comparison and it runs much faster in comparison to the openJDK, and for what I'm doing performance is of the essence (well, what isn't on the RPi).

drirr

Re: Oracle JVM?

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 am

Due to license changes[1] most (if not all) Linux distribution have stopped shipping Oracles JDK/JRE. You can grab in from AUR, but you will have to package it yourself. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about makepkg if you haven't come across it before.

Do you just want to run java applications? Then the you only need the jre, if you want to compile things as well you'll need the jdk. Since the official Arch distribution only supports i686/x86_64 you will have to do some changes to the PKGBUILDs. Step one would be to find the correct file to download, ALARM is running ARMv6 hardfloat so that's what you're looking for.

[1] http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 32835.html
Raspberry Pi (rev 000f, 512MB RAM) with heatsinks and a modmypi case running Arch Linux ARM (armv6h) hooked up to a 750GB 2.5" USB-harddrive

Return to “Arch”