stratosam

how to install a desktop on archlinux

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Hello,
I am a beginner with raspberry pi and I have a school project to experiment with the Pi. So I installed a few OS, but when I try to install Archlinux I can't do it. All I want is to log to a desktop environment and take a few screenshots. I read that I have to do that by myself, but after a few days of trying, I got nothing. All I want is a way to easily install gnome or something else and be able to log into the desktop screen. Please help me, I can't figure it out. And please try to explain in a simple way, because I don't know a lot of things. Thanks in advance

p.s.: I tried installing gnome using pacman -S gnome (if I remember correctly), and after 30-40 minutes of downloading, it said that I don't have enough space (i have a 16gb sd card). This might be because, I also tried to download other packages before it. Also, I read that to log into a desktop using startx, you need to create a file .xinitrc into the user folder and add one line, but that confused me even more.

Oakham

Re: how to install a desktop on archlinux

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 pm

LXDE or XFCE will be OK, Gnome and KDE are too bloated and resource hungey:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... de#p306464

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... me#p412615
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

pepedog

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Oakham, and others, thanks for helping, my time is nonexistent due to my mum dying and building works at my home.
I hope someone bumps kernel and firmware along on github.

Might add that rootfs partition can be resized, but can't be specific. Noobs may use different partition numbers.
And to reclaim space by downloaded packages, pacman -Scc

stratosam

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for the help. I followed the instructions of the first link and made it work finally :) I appreciate it a lot.

Oakham

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:39 pm

pepedog wrote:Oakham, and others, thanks for helping, my time is nonexistent due to my mum dying and building works at my home
I do try, I am a very trying, sorry to hear about Mum, it is nearly 8 years for me and still miss her... :cry:
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

Return to “Arch”