JimDod

hctosys.c unable to open device rtc

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm

I get a error when powering up under the 2013-1-22 version. What is it telling me? How do I fix it?

pepedog

Re: hctosys.c unable to open device rtc

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Ignore it, would possibly go away if you bought an add on real time clock

JimDod

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 am

what would the RTC interface to? GPIO serial?

pepedog

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 am

If I had one, I could tell you. Hopefully someone will answer, but if you have network connection time will be set.

maribu

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 am

Hi,

here is an example for rtc connected via I2c:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 44&t=16218

The instructions should also work for Arch Linux with one exception: It is suggested to write an script for sysvinit. But sysvinit is depreciated and replaced with systemd in Arch. If you want to create a deamon for systemd, have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd.

If you have an internet connection most of the time, I personally wouldn't bother to buy a rtc. You can manually set date with:

Code: Select all

date -I -s 2013-02-28
and time with:

Code: Select all

date -I -s 15:11
Regards,
Maribu

pepedog

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 am

Arch has the module for this one built into kernel
http://code.google.com/p/raspy-juice/

pirat3

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Not using a RTC clock. How do I get rid of this?

pepedog

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:54 pm

I had a call to make and can be corrected if I'm wrong.
The error causes no problems, just a "hey, you don't have that hardware!!!!"

If however you did have the hardware and it wasn't built, it's a big job getting it to work (including compiling the kernel)

You could always put loglevel=2 in /boot/cmdline.txt

pirat3

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:12 pm

I am aware that this doesn't cause an issue anywhere else ... I still want to get rid of it.

Can't I just disable this? My rpi will only ever use internet time.

I don't want to loglevel=2 for a few reasons...

sdjf

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Isn't there a file that can be edited or removed that would disable it? I see the error text is in the subject line, but what about the line or lines just before it?

I see four rtc files in /usr/ called rtc, but do not have Pi online right now to paste file paths in here.

Try running following to see the files:

find /usr/ -name rtc

There could be other associated files, but removing those might do what you want. But back system up, who knows if that action might damage anything else.

Argh, I see that removes rtc but not the file calling it, I would guess you need to run a find on that other file and see if you can edit out the call to rtc, doing so without error could be tricky.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

pirat3

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:23 pm

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I think I saw something about it being compiled into the kernel. In that case, can't I still disable it or do I need to compile my own at this point?

sdjf

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 pm

I wonder if there may be some way to put a setting in the other txt file in /boot besides cmdline. I wonder if a line in /boot/config.txt that set --hctosys, you might try googling this stuff if you haven't.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time

If you are writing something that looks for the errors in your logs, you could always set it to ignore the rtc error.

Yeah, does look like it was compiled into kernel. But isn't compiling your own kernel more work that it is worth? I would guess every time that the system gets updated, you would have to recompile, that can get old fast unless you enjoy it.

It does not look like the folks who wrote this stuff thought an error message about hardware not being present is not a big enough deal, for them to make it possible for us to disable it.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

pepedog

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 am

I think I can remove HCTOSYS

sdjf

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:21 am

pepedog, isn't there some parameter that would enable us to set where we wanted to get system time from, that could go in cmdline.txt? I saw in other forum that other folks really appreciated what you did on this, it is just that not everybody wants it. I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal if it didn't create that error message. I know I disabled the service that checks the internet for time by renaming the file, I forget what it is called, but this rtc stuff does not seem to have a way to do that, that is the problem.

On setting a parameter, I can imagine choices being the ntpfd server (or whatever it is called), rtc, maybe other stuff and also one option that says Nope, do not want any of the above.

pepedog

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am

Not really, it's a builtin module.
It's done now
git commit -m "core/linux-raspberrypi remove RTC_HCTOSYS" -a
Awaiting build

Interestingly enough, when I last tried this a whole host of stuff was ripped out, not this attempt though
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic ... =20#p27964

pirat3

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 am

I get a '?' symbol instead of the warning message now ... same as if I put loglevel=2 in the command line like you suggested earlier.

pepedog

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:34 am

I have a feeling the ? is when the video mode switches with a certain service starting (possibly virtual console), the raspberry logo dissapears.
When booting, do you see video alive from rainbow screen onwards? Then the logo?

Return to “Arch”