JimDod

how do I complete boot before login

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Right now I get a login prompt and am still seeing boot information. I would like to have the system do a complete boot and then offer me the login prompt.

pepedog

Re: how do I complete boot before login

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:41 pm

It has, because things start in parallel login ready before everything else has finished.
Press enter

JimDod

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 am

I'm auto logging in and running a script. I don't trust the state I'm in because boot has not completed.
I just want to know how to not have these things run in background.

maribu

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:34 am

Hi, JimDod!

You could achieve this with using targets. Have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd.

The idea would be the following: Currently getty (login) is part of the multi-user target.

This shows you what multi-user "wants":

Code: Select all

ls /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/
And this shows you the configuration of the multi-user target:

Code: Select all

cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target
You could just create your own target, like "mynewtarget", configure it to require the multi-user target to be finished and move getty from multi-user target to "mynewtarget". Make sure to activate "mynewtarget"! Otherwise you wouldn't be able to login any more! Make sure you have sshd enabled, so you can log in via network just in case.

Maybe it would also work to change the configuration of the getty target. Which deamon do you need to be started before getty? You could just include it here and systemd will handle everything for you.

Actually the default configuration of systemd is very carefully set up. I really can't believe what would be missing when getty is started. I guess (imho) if you would configure getty to be started as last service, you wouldn't gain anything from that except longer boot time.

Regards,
Maribu

Return to “Arch”