exiva

Arch boot problems after updating

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm

After updating arch with either pacman -Syu and getting the new kernel/pi firmware, or

Code: Select all

pacman -S linux-raspberrypi-next linux-headers-raspberrypi-next raspberrypi-firmware-next 
It seems arch is temperamental to start back up again, and I have to unplug/replug USB a few times to get anything but either 1 flash of the ACT led or a solid ACT led.

I'm using a Class 10 Sandisk Ultra SD card, and a 1A usb charger on a 512mb pi. This problem only occurs with Arch. I've used raspbian without issue.

sdjf

Re: Arch boot problems after updating

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:48 pm

By unplug USB, you mean turn power on and off by unplugging the micro USB cable?

I am noticing similar issues, although not with the -next kernel. ACT light often does not do anything when plug in power. Have to unplug and replug, but then at some point I do get a green ACT that goes on and off and on and off.

What is normal behavior of the ACT led supposed to be? Sometimes I get what appears like faint green but not always. Checked power and it ranges 4.75-5.28 at TP1-TP2.

I wonder why would there be a difference between distributions on this.

Oh, I realize you are talking about after updating, but I am not updating and experiencing what I think are similar issues.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

exiva

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:57 pm

sdjf wrote:By unplug USB, you mean turn power on and off by unplugging the micro USB cable?[/quote[

Yeah.

I am noticing similar issues, although not with the -next kernel. ACT light often does not do anything when plug in power. Have to unplug and replug, but then at some point I do get a green ACT that goes on and off and on and off.
Yep, Same thing. I have to do it a few times to get it to start to boot. I guess I'll just try and not have to reboot the pi much until the problem is fixed.

sdjf

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:15 pm

This LED stuff is all pretty new to me. If the light does not stay on, does that mean the system is not loaded properly? Running headless, I do not have a display that would tell me.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

micerinos

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 pm

sdjf wrote:This LED stuff is all pretty new to me. If the light does not stay on, does that mean the system is not loaded properly? Running headless, I do not have a display that would tell me.
Have a look at this page:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware

Where you can read:

5 Status LEDs
  • D5(Green) - SDCard Access (via GPIO16) - labelled as "OK" on Rev1.0 boards and "ACT" on Rev2.0 boards
    D6(Red) - 3.3 V Power - labelled as "PWR" on both Rev1.0 and Rev2.0 boards
    D7(Green) - Full Duplex (LAN) (Model B) - labelled as "FDX" on both Rev1.0 and Rev2.0 boards
    D8(Green) - Link/Activity (LAN) (Model B) - labelled as "LNK" on both Rev1.0 and Rev2.0 boards
    D9(Yellow) - 10/100Mbit (LAN) (Model B) - labelled (incorrectly) as "10M" on Rev1.0 boards and "100" on Rev2.0 boards

sdjf

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 am

Thank you I have seen that, but it does not say what the lights being on or not or flashing mean.

What does it mean if the green ACT light is only on occasionally vs. all the time?

Dweeber

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:27 am

sdjf wrote:Thank you I have seen that, but it does not say what the lights being on or not or flashing mean.

What does it mean if the green ACT light is only on occasionally vs. all the time?
The ACT light only blinks when the system is reading or writing to the disk. If it is not doing either, it is not lit.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

derhoch

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:37 pm

same boot problem here. the only way to boot my 512MB PI reliably and to get full access to all the ram is to use a firmware with fixed split from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... 6e4e2/boot

it seems that "gpu_mem_512=<val>" is very unstable on my hardware revision

Return to “Arch”