handuel

Kernel panic booting with qemu.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I have just got my pi, and am using the archlinux image for it (I'm a reasonably experienced linux user, and wanted the challenge of running a more complex distro). However I do not have a network adapter for the pi, so cannot install any basic software such as gcc. However I do have a computer running ubuntu, with internet access. As a workaround I decided to first boot the image in qemu and install the software I'll want, before writing the image in the normal fashion and using it on my pi. So I downloaded the latest image of arch linux for the pi, and had a hunt around and found a pre-compiled kernel image (http://www.smithae.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/zImage-devtmpfs) which people have been using to run arch for pi in qemu. I am running qemu with:
qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1136-r2 -hda archlinuxarm.img -kernel zImage-devtmpfs -m 192 -append "root=/dev/sda2"
Everything seems to work until I get this: Kernel panic - not syncing: failed to kill init!
A screenshot of the rest of the qemu window can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/lvnVX.png
Does anyone know a fix for this issue, or another way in which I can get some basic software onto my pi using another linux pc.

rinky451

Re: Kernel panic booting with qemu.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:48 pm

guy i didnt understand the arch linux set up either. I tried the fedora remix they have offered but I didnt care for it either. It seems per the forum that Rasbian Weezey has the best support of all so that is what I have been running and really satified with it so far. I know this doesnt pertain to you request but just wanted to say where the most support it.
rinky

handuel

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm

It's not that I don't understand the set up, I imagine I'd run into a similar problem if I tried doing the same thing with raspian, thanks for the advice, but I enjoy running arch for the challenge :p

sdjf

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Read the man page for pacman. It very clearly says you can install packages from a local repository.

To me, that means if I put everything I want on an external media card or USB stick and plug that into my pi when it arrives, I will be able to install whatever I want without the pi going online.

Towards that end, I have already downloaded all the packages I want, and researched and also downloaded the dependencies as best as I could. I expect it will work, maybe it would be easier for you to do the same thing.

I could have waited to see what dependencies pacman complains are missing when it tried to install things, but I decided I would rather have everything available when my pi arrives.

I know there may be updates, but I can always add them to my SD card that will be my local repository.

I have a script I can run that checks the repository for my packages of interest, and tells me which ones have newer versions so I can get them if I want to.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

handuel

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks for all the responses, wish I'd known about installing from a local repostiory sooner, I actually fixed it by chrooting to the sd card, (I needed to install one of the qemu packages to do this, so I could run software compiled for arm), and installing the necessary packages.

cedeon

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:47 pm

I appreciate you found a work around by not using QEMU but I'm having exactly the same issue as the OP. Something is killing the init process on the Arch userspace but I can't seem to find out what.
I've compiled my own QEMU compatible (versatilepb) kernel but it panics shortly after successfully mounting root.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
(-(-.(-.-).-)-)
My RPi blog: https://blog.wculver.com

cedeon

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

I think I have it figured out.

I think QEMU (& the kernel I made!) is using a softfp abi and the Arch Linux userspace is using the hard float abi.

If someone could confirm that a mismatch like this would cause this error as soon as it kicks of init, that would be great.

Regards
(-(-.(-.-).-)-)
My RPi blog: https://blog.wculver.com

pepedog

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:32 pm

With kernels it doesn't matter soft/hard

Return to “Arch”