boris_G

The weirdest problem

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:07 am

Hi all,

I swear this is all true...

I am trying now to compile my old version of Asterisk with app_rpt and the necessary modules to enable the USB Radio Interface (URI) made by DMK Engineering to work on Arch, after a suggestion on a mailing list. That and the old adage "Not for beginners" tempted me.

I am needing to compile Zaptel, which, while out of date, is needed for various modules in order to get app_rpt to work. And I managed to get it to "make" - until it fell over whining about libnewt.

The biggest issue I have found with this, and I understand now why (more in a sec) is the fact the kernel sources are not provided properly for the OS to use. This is a vexed question, related to the fact that until five days ago, the GPU boot process was an industrial secret.

Hopefully now the boot process is open sourced, we can expect to see an open bootloader, and standard kernels being used, rather than these modifications. But in the meantime, my question is thus:

If Zaptel was compiling before, and not whining about the kernel sources, and the only thing I've changed from compilation to compilation is the presence of libnewt, what is actually going on here? Note, now, it bombs out straight away with the "no kernel source" message.

This is more a point of interest now, I'm actually waiting for the distros that will make use of standard kernels on the RPi, and I'll go from there. Hopefully the process for getting the kernel source, compiling Zaptel against it, and then onwards to Asterisk (with app_rpt) will be a simple one.

If anyone can correct me on the making of those distros, ie, will they actually be made (although I'm guessing that would be the first thing to do with the open sourced boot software), that would be great too. I'm not actually looking for a timeframe, as long as I can get this running before early October next year, thats the timeframe I'm looking at.

Onwards, due to the issues I found with the RPi and URI, I have invested some research into another device, but it still needs a computer running app_rpt (and chan_voter) to tie the network together. This'll allow me to have a full simulcast transmit PMR voting system, and the RPi is one of the lowest powered Linux computers I know. Also one of the cheapest. So getting the software, bereft of the URI itself, is now a priority, I don't want to run this "director" on a power hungry Atom system.

(And yes, it must be bad if I'm calling an Atom "power hungry" ^.~)

Thoughts on this matter of interest, and comments on the development of standard kernel systems is very much welcomed!

Many thanks!

Boris.

drirr

Re: The weirdest problem

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 am

Hi,

Did you just grab the sources and tried to compile them? I see there is a PKGBUILD in AUR for it, might be worth a shot (you'll need to change the "arch"): zaptel-svn. Looking at the PKGBUILD it doesn't seem to depend on libnewt, but that might just be that the PKGBUILD isn't properly written to reflect all dependencies.

As for the kernel source, if you install the package "linux-headers-raspberrypi" you should get the needed files.

Regards,
Fredrik
Raspberry Pi (rev 000f, 512MB RAM) with heatsinks and a modmypi case running Arch Linux ARM (armv6h) hooked up to a 750GB 2.5" USB-harddrive

dsc3507

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:32 am

Interested if you have been successful in making Allstar work on the Pi? It woul dbe great to have a ready made image or instructions on how to do this somewhere!

WA3DSP
[email protected]

G0FHM

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm kind of hoping that it can be made to work on the Pi also....

I know that the Pi won't have the power needed to be able to handle the DSP side of things - but with my node, the PL is handled by the radio and COR is handled by an active low circuit feeding a parallell port pin, so pretty low overhead. Surely simpleusb should be able to handle it?

I know that a lot of the D-STAR boys are using the acid distro (I think) on the Pi as a base for the KI4LKF software suite for DV repeaters & nodes.

J

dsc3507

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:45 am

I have Allstar fully working on the Pi in Raspbien if anyone is interested.

Return to “Arch”