Havinit
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 pm

[solved]RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi,

Just got my 3B+ yesterday and have loaded it up with latest Archlinux-ARM tarball. The onboard wifi device is not detected (although the Bluetooth on the same chip is). No sign of a wlan0 in e.g. iw list or rfkill list.

I assume this is because the newer kernel+firmware that Raspbian had ready to go before launch-day has not been packaged for Archlinux-ARM yet, so it is now just a waiting game?

Just want to be sure that's the issue and not that I'm failing to do some configuration step or whatnot. I skipped over the Pi3 so I'm a newbie to the onboard wifi world.

Thanks in advance if anyone can set this niggling doubt to rest for me, while I sit obsessively hammering pacman -Syu ;)
Last edited by Havinit on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 16729
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Havinit wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:49 pm
Hi,

Just got my 3B+ yesterday and have loaded it up with latest Archlinux-ARM tarball. The onboard wifi device is not detected (although the Bluetooth on the same chip is). No sign of a wlan0 in e.g. iw list or rfkill list.

I assume this is because the newer kernel+firmware that Raspbian had ready to go before launch-day has not been packaged for Archlinux-ARM yet, so it is now just a waiting game?

Just want to be sure that's the issue and not that I'm failing to do some configuration step or whatnot. I skipped over the Pi3 so I'm a newbie to the onboard wifi world.

Thanks in advance if anyone can set this niggling doubt to rest for me, while I sit obsessively hammering pacman -Syu ;)

You will need to contact the ARCH Linux Arm Developers / Community as they are solely responsible for supporting their software:

https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/


The Raspberry Pi Foundations Raspbian Stretch latest release does obviously work..
Adieu

gkaiseril
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:54 pm

A quick check of the release notes for the 2018-03-13 image states:
2018-03-13:
* Raspberry Pi 3 B+ support
* WiFi is disabled until wireless regulatory domain is set (Pi 3 B+ only)
- The domain can be done through 'Raspberry Pi Configuration' (rc_gui),
'raspi-config' or by setting 'country=' to an appropriate ISO 3166
alpha2 country code in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
* Default wireless regulatory domain is now unset
...
You need to make sure you have set the appropriate country code by any of the possible ways to change the Pi's configuration.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 16729
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:54 pm
A quick check of the release notes for the 2018-03-13 image states:
2018-03-13:
* Raspberry Pi 3 B+ support
* WiFi is disabled until wireless regulatory domain is set (Pi 3 B+ only)
- The domain can be done through 'Raspberry Pi Configuration' (rc_gui),
'raspi-config' or by setting 'country=' to an appropriate ISO 3166
alpha2 country code in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
* Default wireless regulatory domain is now unset
...
You need to make sure you have set the appropriate country code by any of the possible ways to change the Pi's configuration.

How is this related to ArchLinuxArm :roll:
Adieu

Havinit
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.

@fruitoftheloom: I do realise that only Raspbian is the "anointed" distro, and I'll certainly join and post on archlinuxarm forum in a few days if an update hasn't resolved it by then (which is what I'm anticipating will happen). But I'm already a member here so I thought I'd see if any other Arch users on here already knew the score. There must be some reason for this subforum to exist, no?

@gkaiseril: I think the disabling unless country-code is set is a Raspbian-specific tweak; apparently it was introduced in the same Raspbian image (13/03/2018) that has the new firmware. I didn't see any suggestion in the threads I've read that it's a feature of the new hardware itself but perhaps I'm wrong. In any case the people having issues with that do actually have a wlan0 device showing up, which Arch doesn't, hence my assumption that it just doesn't have the necessary driver/firmware yet.

cjan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 pm

latest Archlinux-ARM tarball installed then update to last Linux alarmpi 4.14.27-1-ARCH #1 SMP.

Havinit
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 am

@cjan: Are you saying that that kernel has the required update? I updated to that last night but it has not changed the situation.

This is all there is in dmesg from brcmfmac:

Code: Select all

[[email protected] ~]# dmesg|grep brcmfmac
[    7.848567] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_map_chip_to_name: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin for chip 0x004345(17221) rev 0x000006
[    7.850795] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[    7.986350] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt failed with error -2
[   11.007447] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50
[   12.017191] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50

cjan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:06 am

Havinit wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 am
@cjan: Are you saying that that kernel has the required update? I updated to that last night but it has not changed the situation.
sorry can not help, don't have 3b+.
last kernel and firmware just for new 3b+.

cjan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 am

cjan wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:06 am
Havinit wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 am
@cjan: Are you saying that that kernel has the required update? I updated to that last night but it has not changed the situation.
sorry can not help, don't have 3b+.
last kernel and firmware just for new 3b+.
seems miss 2 files in /lib/firmware/brcm

Code: Select all

brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
*brcmfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob
*brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

cjan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:46 am

btw, firmware-raspberrypi got update an hour ago.

Havinit
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am

Excellent, just updated and all is good. Thanks for the tipoff :)

SA7SKY
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am
Contact: Website Skype

Re: [solved]RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Are firmware-updates delayed on its way to Europe.

I did the whole procedure a minute ago but still no change on the version:

4.14.27-v7+ #1100 SMP FRI MAR 16

Besides that: same problem, no wlan0 detected.

Any hint?

//Helge

Havinit
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: [solved]RPi 3B+ Wifi

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:27 pm

@SA7SKY, when you say you did the whole process, do you mean prepared a new SD card from a freshly-downloaded tarball?

Have you also updated by running "pacman -Syu" (as root)?

User avatar
manawyrm
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:18 am
Location: Alfeld (Leine), Germany
Contact: Website

Re: [solved]RPi 3B+ Wifi

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:41 am

Just FYI if you encounter something like that again:

Code: Select all

[    7.986350] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt failed with error -2
http://www-numi.fnal.gov/offline_softwa ... rrors.html

Error code -2 is ENOENT - /* No such file or directory */.
That can give you the required hint, that you're missing a firmware file.
Especially happens with propritary HW like TV tuner cards or enterprise network cards, that need FW blobs to work correctly.

Have fun,
Tobi

Return to “Arch”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests