Solder

Official images is useless?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi everybody,

I download any arch image what I found, but all useless. The installation and booting works great, network, hdmi, etc. is fine...but pacman -Suy is kill the system.

Yes, the boring "glibc /lib existing" problem. The desktop solution not work, I tried many time. Digging the google, found some "solved" marked solution, but not work, too.

So, if anybody here, who know the real solution, not be shy, please. A step-by-step guide, for dummies is will be greatest.

Many thanks, and sorry may trashy english.. :roll:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Official images is useless?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:01 am

Try the official Raspbian - its somewhat more robust at the moment - Arch is still in development.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

pepedog

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 am

I don't think that's a fair statement, James. A rolling release carries risks, just as version upgrades do.
Have been running alarm for over 2 years myself, suits me as version upgrades were a pain.

eix

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am

they should simply update the alarm image..to prevent LOTS of newbies issues

MacTzu

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I have had no issues what so ever.

jamesh

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:00 pm

pepedog wrote:I don't think that's a fair statement, James. A rolling release carries risks, just as version upgrades do.
Have been running alarm for over 2 years myself, suits me as version upgrades were a pain.
I have no conceptual problems with Arch myself, but at the moment, surely its behind Raspbian which just works on the Raspi? The best advice to the OP must be to start with something that actually works out of the box without having to spend extra time trying to figure out problems?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

MacTzu

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Soldier,
I'm happy to help, could you supply more information ?

MacTzu

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 pm

ok,
sorry I just replicated your problem. So I will post in the glibc section if need be look there.

Solder

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:45 pm

MacTzu wrote:Soldier,
I'm happy to help, could you supply more information ?
The situation: I buy a raspi board, and collect some stuff. Have a power supply (phone charger, 5V/780mA), a 2G SD card, keyboard, LAN cable to my router (DHCP worked), keyboard and a HDMI cable to my tv.

Progress:
- download the official image
- dd to sd card (sudo dd bs=1M if=archlinuxarm-13-06-2012.img of=/dev/sdd) [/list]
- boot from sd card
- login with root, everything ok
- run the recommended method,

Code: Select all

pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
pacman -Su
After the first command, this is the output:

[root@alarmpi ~]# pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
:: The following packages should be upgraded first :
    pacman
:: Do you want to cancel the current operation
:: and upgrade these packages now? [Y/n] n

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: glibc: ignoring package upgrade (2.15-10 => 2.16.0-4)
:: Replace systemd-tools with core/systemd? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
warning: ignoring package glibc-2.16.0-4
warning: cannot resolve "glibc>=2.16", a dependency of "binutils"
warning: cannot resolve "glibc>=2.16", a dependency of "gcc-libs"
warning: cannot resolve "glibc>=2.16.0", a dependency of "pacman"
:: The following packages cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      binutils  cryptsetup  dbus-core  device-mapper  gcc-libs  glib2  grep  initscripts
      less  lvm2  mkinitcpio  pacman  pcre  syslog-ng  systemd  wpa_supplicant

Do you want to skip the above packages for this upgrade? [y/N] y
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (56): bash-4.2.037-1  ca-certificates-20120623-1  coreutils-8.17-3
              cracklib-2.8.19-1  cronie-1.4.8-3  dhcpcd-5.6.0-1  e2fsprogs-1.42.5-1
              filesystem-2012.8-1  fuse-2.9.1-1  gzip-1.5-1  hwids-20120831-1
              iana-etc-2.30-3  inetutils-1.9.1-4  iproute2-3.5.1-1  iputils-20101006-4
              kbd-1.15.3-3  keyutils-1.5.5-3  kmod-10-1  krb5-1.10.3-1
              libedit-20120601_3.0-1  libgssglue-0.4-1  libidn-1.25-1  libldap-2.4.32-1
              libnl-3.2.11-1  libpcap-1.3.0-1  libusb-compat-0.1.4-2  libusbx-1.0.12-2
              linux-api-headers-3.5.1-1  linux-firmware-20120625-1
              linux-headers-raspberrypi-3.2.27-5  linux-raspberrypi-3.2.27-5
              logrotate-3.8.2-1  man-db-2.6.2-1  man-pages-3.42-1
              net-tools-1.60.20120804git-2  openntpd-3.9p1-19  openssh-6.1p1-2
              pacman-mirrorlist-20120826-1  pam-1.1.5-4  pambase-20120701-1
              pciutils-3.1.10-1  perl-5.16.1-1  ppp-2.4.5-4  procps-ng-3.3.3-3
              psmisc-22.19-1  raspberrypi-firmware-20120914-1  readline-6.2.004-1
              run-parts-4.3.2-1  shadow-4.1.5.1-1  sysvinit-2.88-7  sysvinit-tools-2.88-7
              tzdata-2012e-1  usbutils-006-1  util-linux-2.21.2-5  wget-1.14-1  xz-5.0.4-1

Total Download Size:    72.70 MiB
Total Installed Size:   284.29 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -15.32 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
Choose yes. After download and checking, this error:

(56/56) checking package integrity                      [##############################] 100%
(56/56) loading package files                           [##############################] 100%
(56/56) checking for file conflicts                     [##############################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
filesystem: /etc/profile.d/locale.sh exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
Allright, "solve" this, and try again:

[root@alarmpi ~]# mv /etc/profile.d/locale.sh /etc/profile.d/locale.sh.old
[root@alarmpi ~]# pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
    pacman
:: and upgrade these packages now? [Y/n] 
Press "Y" again. Completed witout problem. Rebooting (because firmware update), and login again. (ssh not work from this point) Then run:

[root@alarmpi ~]# pacman -Su
    pacman
:: and upgrade these packages now? [Y/n] n

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace systemd-tools with core/systemd? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (14): binutils-2.22-10  dbus-core-1.6.4-1  gcc-libs-4.7.1-6  glib2-2.32.4-1
              glibc-2.16.0-4  grep-2.14-1  less-451-1  mkinitcpio-0.10-1  pacman-4.0.3-3
              pcre-8.31-1  syslog-ng-3.3.6-1  systemd-189-4  systemd-tools-185-1 [removal]
              wpa_supplicant-1.0-1

Total Download Size:    16.82 MiB
Total Installed Size:   82.92 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       5.76 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
Press "Y" again. This is the end of the story, when downloading and checking the packages, bring the famous "glibc: /lib exists in the filesystem" message.

So, what is the right method?

Edited: Sorry the longest post, and thank you.

jakebpg

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:13 pm

I've got the same problem here. I posted under the pacman -S pacman fail post I think it was.

The image is useless unless you want to spend hours and hours of research to find the fix.

Is it to much to ask for a new image that already has the glib problem corrected and therefore eliminating further update problems! I know Arch is a rolling platform, I've been using it for at least two years on my laptop without running into any problem like this. I bricked my pi half a dozen times yesterday(9-15-12) trying to get it to work. I even followed the instructions on the Arch web site, to no avail and bricked it again!

Doesn't anyone have a working SD card with a valid working image on it that they can simply dd to an image file and upload to github?

And as I have already stated I know Arch is a rolling platform and problems will inevitably crop up time to time but having a bad image to start just makes things that much worse and is one of the primary reasons many people keep away form Archlinux. I was hoping it would be a little better for the pi unlike it is on the Archlinux site where when asking for help newbs are shunned, told to read the wiki or just told ARCHLINUX IS NOT FOR YOU! I'm a retired CIO and know many people that have had that experience on the Archlinux forums including myself and like I said was hoping it wouldn't be the same way for the RPI.

eix

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

jakebpg wrote:I've got the same problem here. I posted under the pacman -S pacman fail post I think it was.

The image is useless unless you want to spend hours and hours of research to find the fix.

Is it to much to ask for a new image that already has the glib problem corrected and therefore eliminating further update problems! I know Arch is a rolling platform, I've been using it for at least two years on my laptop without running into any problem like this. I bricked my pi half a dozen times yesterday(9-15-12) trying to get it to work. I even followed the instructions on the Arch web site, to no avail and bricked it again!

Doesn't anyone have a working SD card with a valid working image on it that they can simply dd to an image file and upload to github?

And as I have already stated I know Arch is a rolling platform and problems will inevitably crop up time to time but having a bad image to start just makes things that much worse and is one of the primary reasons many people keep away form Archlinux. I was hoping it would be a little better for the pi unlike it is on the Archlinux site where when asking for help newbs are shunned, told to read the wiki or just told ARCHLINUX IS NOT FOR YOU! I'm a retired CIO and know many people that have had that experience on the Archlinux forums including myself and like I said was hoping it wouldn't be the same way for the RPI.
Completely agree! I give up Arch Linux, at least the ARM version. Lost about 46 hours for nothing, documentation sucks, support is nil.

I think it's just a bit of arrogance mixed up with inexperience which leads to this type of bad experience; anyhow, I am using raspbian now and it's smooth and high quality.

pepedog

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:13 am

@eix, 46 hours? glibc update hasn't even been there for that time.

An update for others that might be interested, I started with official image and got thru all updates via devious methods. One unrelated issue is everything running, but console login not working, ssh is.
Once I crack that and create image, I'll pass it on to Liam who uploads.

Info on alarm
Archlinuxarm is not archlinux, just crafted where needed to work on arm. Just as raspian is not debian.
No one gets money from alarm, I have donated a LOT of time and money to them, I create images for rpi (and others), someone else does package build.

sdjf

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks so much for all your hard work for us, Pepedog. I am confused, is alarm the same thing as ArchLinuxArm for the Raspberry Pi?

And does your posting a link to that archlinuxarm thread mean that the Pi image is not going to be updated after all?

My Pi has not come yet, and I have been waiting to download the most recent image for when it does come as having to update an older image immediately is not something I want to have to do, since I am on dialup and everything will tie up phone significant time.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

pepedog

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 pm

There is a new image, and it's probably on server but don't know link.
Not everyone would be happy about starting afresh, so hopefully they can recover

sdjf

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks Pepedog. What this difficult experience others have had is teaching me, is to make a backup of the system before doing updates.

I had already decided any data files I download will go on a separate media, so if the system gets badly mangled, all that is lost is the system and not a bunch of other work.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Solder

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 am

The problem seems to be solved, showed up a post with the solution, and found an image that works for me. At now.

Howsoever, many thanks every people who trying help.

Have a good pi. ;)

pepedog

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:28 am

@solder, thanks for finding
@sdjf sorry I missed answering, alarm is the lazy man way of saying archlinuxarm

cTn

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am

pepedog wrote:@solder, thanks for finding
@sdjf sorry I missed answering, alarm is the lazy man way of saying archlinuxarm
I am really happy to see that a new "updated" image is out, with all the changes to the /lib and change from initscripts to systemd, i think it deserved a rebuild, this should make things much easier for newcomers and people that broke their build. good job!

pepedog

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks.
Now to make a hard float version, the repo is in place. With that it looks like midori isn't working so v5 may be best for certain things for a while

sdjf

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 am

pepedog wrote: @sdjf sorry I missed answering, alarm is the lazy man way of saying archlinuxarm
thanks, that's cool, easy to miss. now let's hope my pi arrives before you have gotten stuck making yet another image.

Return to “Arch”