bmentink

Re: DirectFB on Raspberry Pi

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:09 am

Hi There,

Tried a "yaourt -SA fusion-git" but not found .... is there a mirror or repository I should include?

Thanks,
B

bmentink

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:37 am

Hi again ... ok I have found on trying to install direct-fb that the module is called "linux-fusion" so tried installing that.

It seems that it lists kernel26 as a dependancy, where is that? Does the kernel have to be re-compiled to install linux-fusion?

I can't get enough information from this thread to install everything, can some please give me a quick lists of steps .... ( a mini HOWTO)

Many Thanks,
B.

bmentink

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:54 am

Ok, I'm fumbling along here by myself .. :shock:

I have found the correct package is linux-fusion-git and it only needs the kernel headers so compiles fine .. great.

So I get the directfb installed ok. My next hurdle is with gtk2-dfb, I get this error:

Code: Select all

pacman -U gtk2-dfb-2.24.11-1-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: gtk2-dfb and gtk2 are in conflict. Remove gtk2? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libglade: requires gtk2>=2.16.0
So I go and try to install libglade and I get this:

pacman -U libglade-dfb-2.6.4-3-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "gtk2-dfb>=2.16.0", a dependency of "libglade-dfb"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      libglade-dfb
So it seems I have a circular dependancy going on, What gives?

bmentink

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 am

Ok, latest update to this adventure:

Forced the upgrade to libglade with -Udd and then installed gtk2-fb after getting rid of some conflicting directory ..

I then could run netsurf ... it came up and I was able to see some web pages, but all the window text is munted (just square boxes) so was pretty hard to navigate ..

Is this how it is at present? Is there more to do?

I put the following in .directfbrc

mode=1280x720
depth=16
#no-vt
pixelformat=RGB16
disable-module=linux_input
Cheers,
B.

maribu

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 am

Yes, I also have the some problems with text rendering.

Do you have installed gtk(2) (for xorg)? If so, you like have broken this package by removing conflicting directorys.

Tipps to install gtk2 for DirectFB temporary:

Right now it is this way: DirectFB and xorg packages do work together, but directfb-gtk does conflict with xorg-gtk, as both are installed at the same place.

If you want to try directfb-gtk, I suggest to remove the gtk packages and all other conflicting packages with "pacman -Rdd". This way you can keep all programs which depends on gtk2. (But they will not work after removing gtk. Also they will not work wit directfb-gtk, because they are compiled against xorg-gtk. You have to recompile them against directfb-gtk, to make them work with directfb.)

If you get problems with other conflicting files, run:

pacman -Qo /path/to/conflicting/file

This will tell you which packages also conflict with directfb-gtk. Remove them to with pacman -Rdd.

If you finished testing DirectFB, just remove directfb-gtk an reinstall the packages you removed with pacman -Rdd and all xorg-gtk programs will start to work again.

In which shape is gtk2 for DirectFB?
Not in a very good shape. Not all functions are implemented, there is no good way to get window decoration (the borders around the window), and it is a bit buggy. One very annoying thing (among others) is that menus are misplaced. They seem to be managed as DirectFB-Windows, which pop up in free space and not directly under the menu button you have clicked. Mostly you cannot navigate with you mouse in menus, but you have to use your keyboard instead. There is no gtk-only panel or directfb panel, so you can't get a desktop experience.

Most gtk2-programs depends on both gtk and x11. This means somewhere within the build process it crashes and it isn't easy to fix this.

So you don't want DirectFB as a Xorg replacement.

Is there a way to get full desktop experience using DirectFB
Not directly, but using XDirectFB will get you full desktop experience. XDirectFB is the xorg-X-server drawing on Directfb. You could think of it like xorg is using DirectFB als graphic driver. I didn't manage to compile XDirectFB. Like all other DirectFB ports, it highly out of date and a lot of trouble to get it compiled on an up to date system.

If you could manage to get XDirectFB working, you would be able to use xorg programs out of the box without recompiling them.

This is how it looks right now. Best option would be waiting for a weston backend which works with the Raspberry Pi (someone is working on that) or waiting for an xorg driver.

Regards,
Maribu

bmentink

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi maribu,

Thanks for the excellent explanation. Yes I did have gtk for xorg and I did re-install that together with all the other packages to get back a standard X desktop, so no harm done.

It is a shame XdirectFB is not in good shape ... that would have been ideal. I might have a look at that myself .... otherwise I will play the waiting game .. :)

Cheers,
Bernie

qexing

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:05 am

Hi, u really did a great job.

Is there any possibility to recompile this on Wheezy hardhf distribution?
Thanks~~~

maribu

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:40 am

Maybe you don't even need to recompile it. The packages in Arch Linux are a simple tarball. Just type tar xf package.pkg.tar.gz and you get all binarys. If the librarys on which the packages depend are newer in Arch Linux than in raspbian the binarys won't work.

If you want to recompile the packages just look in the PKGBUILDs. You just have to copy every command and you'll get your package installed.

Regards,
Maribu

qexing

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 am

maribu wrote:Maybe you don't even need to recompile it. The packages in Arch Linux are a simple tarball. Just type tar xf package.pkg.tar.gz and you get all binarys. If the librarys on which the packages depend are newer in Arch Linux than in raspbian the binarys won't work.

If you want to recompile the packages just look in the PKGBUILDs. You just have to copy every command and you'll get your package installed.

Regards,
Maribu
The binary packages in your dropbox need glibc newer than wheezy system, I've already compiled directfb gtk-dfb and netsurf.

When I run gtk-demo program, there is a input twice bug:
when I type in characters via keyboard or click/right click via mouse, all these input events seems occured twice. If I type "a", then "aa" is in gtk-demo's textbox, type "z", then "zz" is in textbox. if I click in gtk-demo's textarea, it acts as I double click in textarea, and text is selected.

Also due to this bug, if I click menubar, nothings happens but menubar does highlights, if I rightclick, context menu shows, then it disappears quickly.

So, it look likes all input events happened twice.

Also there is some rendering bug with netsurf-gtk browser on directfb, while this is really tiny one compare to the input twice bug.

Any suggestions? Thank you ~~~ ^_^

Regards
Uranus

maribu

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:47 am

The last list of this configuration:

mode=1280x720
depth=16
#no-vt
pixelformat=RGB16
disable-module=linux_input
does the trick. Save the configuration as ~/.directfbrc

Regards,
Maribu

qexing

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for your help, disable linux-input module, now input event works fine, however menu bar in gtk-demo and netsurf still doesn't work. several directfb examples work really good. ^_^

When I use gtk-demo's menu example, I switch menu bar to vertical mode, it seems menu list showes in the bottem-right of screen, doesn't pad to the menu bar, i was wondering whether this is why clicking on menu bar doesn't work (menu bar normally in horizontal mode like netsurf) ?

As you said, font rendering in netsurf is really unusable, fonts in most sites are extremely small, even NetSurf offical site. while I'm quite happy that some multi-type unicode sites works fine.

And this is error message when i use menu bar in netsurf:

gdk-directfb-message: unhandled directfb windowing event 0x01000000

Does it helps? Thanks

Regards
Uranus

corruption

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Any news?

I found :
http://directfb.org/index.php?path=Main ... 0-07-0.dok

But the Kernel Moduls (fusion.ko and linux-one.ko) are for the kernel 3.2.27++ and i can't got it to run.

Have someone got GPU acceleration possible?
If yes how to install on ArchLinux?

talesgomes27

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Hello, I want to build Directfb on Raspberry but, when i try to compile it came with the following error:

Making all in egl
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/chubaka/raspberrypi/DirectFB/DirectFB-1.6.3/systems/egl'
  CC     egl_primary.lo
In file included from /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos.h:185:0,
                 from /opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/vc_dispmanx.h:33,
                 from /opt/vc/include/EGL/eglplatform.h:110,
                 from /opt/vc/include/EGL/egl.h:36,
                 from egl_system.h:33,
                 from egl_primary.c:62:
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:112:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_delete' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 void vcos_timer_delete(VCOS_TIMER_T *timer);
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:109:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_reset' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 void vcos_timer_reset(VCOS_TIMER_T *timer, VCOS_UNSIGNED delay);
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:102:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_cancel' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 void vcos_timer_cancel(VCOS_TIMER_T *timer);
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:95:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_set' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 void vcos_timer_set(VCOS_TIMER_T *timer, VCOS_UNSIGNED delay);
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:80:15: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_create' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 VCOS_STATUS_T vcos_timer_create(VCOS_TIMER_T *timer,
               ^
In file included from /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos.h:127:0,
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:269:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_resume' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 void vcos_thread_resume(VCOS_THREAD_T *thread);
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:262:5: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_running' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 int vcos_thread_running(VCOS_THREAD_T *thread);
     ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:251:15: warning: inline function 'vcos_change_preemption' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 VCOS_UNSIGNED vcos_change_preemption(VCOS_UNSIGNED pe);
               ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:234:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_relinquish' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 void vcos_thread_relinquish(void);
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:186:15: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_get_affinity' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
 VCOS_UNSIGNED vcos_thread_get_affinity(VCOS_THREAD_T *thread);
               ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:112:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_delete' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:109:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_reset' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:102:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_cancel' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:95:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_set' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_timer.h:80:15: warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_create' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
               ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:269:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_resume' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:262:5: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_running' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
     ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:251:15: warning: inline function 'vcos_change_preemption' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
               ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:234:6: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_relinquish' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
      ^
/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/vcos_thread.h:186:15: warning: inline function 'vcos_thread_get_affinity' declared but never defined [enabled by default]
               ^
  CC     egl_system.lo
egl_system.c: In function 'InitEGL':
egl_system.c:78:6: error: implicit declaration of function 'bcm_host_init' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      bcm_host_init();
      ^
egl_system.c:122:6: error: implicit declaration of function 'graphics_get_display_size' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      graphics_get_display_size(0 /* LCD */, &egl->DisplayWidth, &egl->DisplayHeight);
      ^
                 from egl_system.c:47:
egl_system.c: At top level:
      ^
      ^
      ^
      ^
               ^
      ^
     ^
               ^
      ^
               ^
      ^
      ^
      ^
      ^
               ^
      ^
     ^
               ^
      ^
               ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [egl_system.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/chubaka/raspberrypi/DirectFB/DirectFB-1.6.3/systems/egl'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/chubaka/raspberrypi/DirectFB/DirectFB-1.6.3/systems'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/chubaka/raspberrypi/DirectFB/DirectFB-1.6.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I configured as follows:

export EGL_CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads"
export EGL_LIBS="-lEGL -lGLESv2 $LIBS -L/opt/vc/lib"

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-static \
    --enable-zlib --disable-x11 --enable-sdl --disable-vnc --disable-osx \
    --enable-video4linux2 --enable-voodoo --enable-multi \
    --enable-fbdev --enable-egl --with-gfxdrivers=gles2 \
    --disable-x11vdpau --disable-mesa
Any idea? I don't know what is wrong! :(

sirderigo

Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Hello, i´m trying to install DirectFB on the Pi but, until now the compilation fails, already compiled linux-fusion in the last Arch Kernel, can someone please provide prebuild binaries?

baskion

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:35 am

I am getting this error too with DirectFB-1.7.0

"warning: inline function 'vcos_timer_delete' declared but never defined [enabled by default]"
I tried to add "-fgnu89-inline" to CFLAGS. But I got a lot of warnings
"warning: command line option '-fgnu89-inline' is valid for C/ObjC but not for C+"

and finally got this error:
"egl_system.c:82:6: error: implicit declaration of function 'bcm_host_init' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]"

Has someone successfully compiled DirectFB-1.7.0? if so, could you post the configure options?
Thanks

nixphoeni

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm

baskion wrote:and finally got this error:
"egl_system.c:82:6: error: implicit declaration of function 'bcm_host_init' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]"
For 1.6.3 (but I believe recent versions have the same problem, based on the DirectFB git repo) I had to edit systems/egl/egl_system.c and insert:

#include <bcm_host.h>
somewhere near the top of the file.
Not sure if this is a fix required in DirectFB or raspberrypi/userland.

zebox

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:09 am

Hi, All!
Could you help me with directfb? I try start simple directfb app (which show green background and some text) on Pi and got black screen (with no error). Pi connect to TV via HDMI. I try start app from ssh console. What I do wrong?

If I start this app on my desktop or VM it work fine.

To .directfbrc I added "no-vt" parameter and try choose difirent option RGB, depth, but no luck :{.

Now i used standart rasbian directfb pakage version 1.2., may be problem in this?

hojuruku

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Great work!

I remember accelerated (2D) Direct FB was such a pain in the < expletive deleted> to set up on the AMD Geode, one guy wrote the patch and when his website went down it was lost forever. My old geode bit the dust, as did my HPIntel laptop (MCE failed to shut down cpu after fain failure - Intel's planned obsolesce). So now I'm all in on the pi.

Did you submit this patch to the DirectFB maintainers so all the other distros will benefit?

I'm thinking in my free time I'll try and collect all the perks for Raspberry PI (#1 & #2) like this and make two optimized gentoo/sabayon unofficial releases.

xXRoboBoyXx

Sun May 14, 2017 4:16 pm

maribu wrote:Ok, adding:

no-vt

to .directfbrc in your home directory does the trick. Now I can run it from ssh. I got

DirectFBError [gdk_display_open: GetInputDevice]: No resource has been found by the specified id

as error on my gtk hello world program. Lets see what I find about this.

Regards,
Maribu
I don't have that directory :O When i look in etc and in /home/pi Nothing there Even in /home!!!

Return to “Arch”