NalleBerg

Setting up Arch Linux on a PI 3 (with all wistles and bells)

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:31 pm

I have written a tutorial for installing Arch on a PI 3, complete with XFCE, software manager and even a menu editor. It's all there!

http://nalle.no/node/9

Enjoy!

cjan

Re: Setting up Arch Linux on a PI 3 (with all wistles and be

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:17 am

very good, why not build a install able img like manjaro-arm do?

Koeshi

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am

I am going to guess the answer is "because Arch".

Also PINN provides an option for skipping all the partitioning and sizing if you want and going straight to configuration.

cjan

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:41 pm

PINN is not arch-way too.

NalleBerg

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm thinking of that, but there are a few reasons why I didn't do it now:
  • The building is also fun
  • Arch will come with a 64-bit version, this one is 32-bit.
  • I am Norwegian. A lot of adaptations for that is on this verison, even though I didn't put it in the tutorial.
I will make a image, for a 32 GB card containing «everything», like LibreOffice, Gimp and Cups printer system with appropriate GUI(s) - and scanner setup. Cups and scanner setup didn't make into this version of the tutorial I am more or less fiddeling with it now. I will wait till the 64-bit version comes, so in the mean time, write (or copy - paste) all the needed commands. I am just saving you some time searching the net.

./nalle.

NalleBerg

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Koeshi wrote:I am going to guess the answer is "because Arch".

Also PINN provides an option for skipping all the partitioning and sizing if you want and going straight to configuration.
This is what the Arch team said about this tutorial - I posted it there too.
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopi ... 60&t=10791

./nalle.

Koeshi

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:09 pm

cjan wrote:very good, why not build a install able img like manjaro-arm do?
cjan wrote:PINN is not arch-way too.
Neither is Manjaro. I am unsure what point you are trying to make here, could you clarify?
NalleBerg wrote:
Koeshi wrote:I am going to guess the answer is "because Arch".

./nalle.

They don't seem very happy to me...

Please understand I wasn't trying to criticise your guide. I was merely commenting on cjan's question and naming an alternative for those that don't want to do the whole install process the long way.

NalleBerg

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 pm

NalleBerg wrote:

./nalle.
They don't seem very happy to me...

Please understand I wasn't trying to criticise your guide. I was merely commenting on cjan's question and naming an alternative for those that don't want to do the whole install process the long way.
No they don't, do they? However, since none of them have commented my last post where I give them the cred and link from my page, as they rightfully deserve - I agree with them in that, they haven't posted any more objections, so I think they have accepted my tutorial, more or less (puhft! long sentence there).
How they would respond to an image, I don't know. I will however, once 64 bit version comes and after I have rewritten the tutorial for that and presented that on Arch Wiki, make an image. That Image will be presented on the Arch wiki first. If they don't give me a ceasse and desist, I will make a few images with various state of finishness. But one will be dead complete as a ready office computer with all one could need on a normal office - if it is in the repo. As far as I understand, the 64-bit version will use their ARM8-64 repo with a lot more packages then the Arm7-32 repo.

However, I've been looking at PINN - looks fun! I won't make anything like that. I will make more like a collection of dd/win32Imager -images. So from me: One OS, one image. ;)

Koeshi

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:03 pm

I look forward to them bringing out a 64bit version for the Pi, but they have been saying they would since the Pi3 release so I am not going to hold my breath.

NalleBerg

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 am

Koeshi wrote:I look forward to them bringing out a 64bit version for the Pi, but they have been saying they would since the Pi3 release so I am not going to hold my breath.
Hm, I need to think about that. I have just det It up two times. One for practice and one for the tutorial.

Now, you're more or less implying, I need to do It again?
Well, OK I will make å RPi 3 - page but It light take some time though.

procount

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:29 am

Here is some background to PINN and Arch Linux and what it does.

Arch stopped producing NOOBS images for Arch some time ago, so it was only possible to install Arch from scratch by following the Arch guidelines.
PINN is a fork (enhanced modification) of NOOBS that provides some extra features.
One of those additions is the ability to install Arch from it's native bsdtar file format, without the need to convert it to the NOOBS .tar.xz format first.
The Arch image it installs is the latest image from the Arch website.
PINN just automates the Arch guidelines, so it does install it the "arch-way".

PINN also allows you to specify sources for the NOOBS images additional to those found on the RPF website, like OpenElec, that was dropped in favour of LibreElec, and RetropIe.
So, If you create any additional images of Arch, or other distros, they can be installed by PINN by providing the correct URLs to PINN.

PINN is in active development, so new features are still being added, like being able to install images over a wider range of wifi or ethernet dongles and from USB sticks.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Koeshi

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 am

NalleBerg wrote:
Koeshi wrote:I look forward to them bringing out a 64bit version for the Pi, but they have been saying they would since the Pi3 release so I am not going to hold my breath.
Hm, I need to think about that. I have just det It up two times. One for practice and one for the tutorial.

Now, you're more or less implying, I need to do It again?
Well, OK I will make å RPi 3 - page but It light take some time though.
No, it is currently the same process for the Pi3 as the Pi2 as they are using the same image.

NalleBerg

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Koeshi:

I will still have to do the whole chabang again, stopping and making an image as soon as Arch-way is done, then as my tutorial describes (probably includin cups) and at the end with a complete office-computer-setup. I am also contemplating a programmers-setup with programming languages, idés and editors. But the latter one is a bit in the distance yet.

I don't do fast anymore - only properly!

./nalle.

treeHouse

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks for the setup walkthrough.
It was very easy to follow, although I used PINN, which I find very convenient for quickly reinstalling and starting from scratch.
The only problem I encountered was during the wifi activation. I seemed to work, but not consistently. I regrettably didn't look at the logs, but I believe, in retro, there might have had multiple "network managers" fighting over control of wifi.
On subsequent install, I ended up using your tutorial, sans wifi, and setting up wifi from the arch wiki.
Also this guide, while a bit older, has instructions for yaourt and wiring pi.

jonesypeter

Re: Setting up Arch Linux on a PI 3 (with all wistles and bells)

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:04 pm

This worked well for me. Thank you.

The only issue I had was that

Code: Select all

xorg-server-utils 
has been deprecate. So I did some research and used

Code: Select all

pacman -S xorg-apps
Also when you open the GNOME software manager you just get a blank screen.

Return to “Arch”