itsjon

Manjaro & Pi400 issue.

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:07 pm

I just installed
Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-rockpi4b-20.10.img.xz
Onto a 32Gig SD

Tried to boot it on a pi400.. Got the Pi loader screen throwing errors whilst searching USB's

Do I need to edit the image prior to boot for the pi400 as it is engineered for the pi4b ?

cjan

Re: Manjaro & Pi400 issue.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:28 am

rockpi4b ?

itsjon

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 am

cjan wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:28 am
rockpi4b ?
Whoops.. !!
downloading Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-rpi4-20.10.img.xz. now :oops:

I did not know what a Rock Pi was until now.

It was in Manjaro's ARM section (misleadingly ? as they seem to be intel x86 based)
I saw the 'rock' thinking that was the release name and 'Pi 4B' assuming that was the nearest to my Pi400

:?

Thanks for the heads up

itsjon

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Up and running ! YAy.. :D

First impression of Plasma are very positive.

but... no detection of home WIFI :?
I tried to hot spot a phone right next to the Pi.. no detection either (Im typing this on PI OS)

I had a look at the network config and its showing no wifi sources.. Looking around the desktop for a way to force detection to no avail.
Do I have to enter some terminal commands to set it up ?

thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:01 pm

itsjon wrote:

I tried to hot spot a phone right next to the Pi.. no detection either (Im typing this on PI OS)

I had a look at the network config and its showing no wifi sources.. Looking around the desktop for a way to force detection to no avail.

thanks.

AFAIAA the RPi 400 uses a different Wireless Chipset, have Arch / Manjaro updated their Operating System to be compatible ??
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

itsjon

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:50 pm

got issues with no WIFI with the default PI OS sd chip now :|

Typing this on a laptop.
What checks can I run on PI OS now to check wifi status ?

thanks

Ok.. update..
Now got wifi and typing this on PI OS ... but its erratic.
It is not automatically connecting at boot.. I seem to be able to get it to activate by selecting the Network Preferences config then clicking between W/eth0 ???

itsjon

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:01 pm
itsjon wrote:

thanks.

AFAIAA the RPi 400 uses a different Wireless Chipset, have Arch / Manjaro updated their Operating System to be compatible ??
Arr... maybe that's why its not working... shame, it looks great :)

Is there any chance that trying out the pi4 Manjaro has screwed up my wifi when back to the PI OS sd ?

[some time later] Damn... its all booting up and working great again on both my original PI OS chip and a recent backup PI OS chip... odd !! ... any chance this could be some ISP tom foolery ? (paranoia sets in)

and lastly... if the coms chip is different between Pi4 and Pi400 could I hack it to get it up and running, (as long as its cut and paste I guess)

itsjon

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Ok - Update

Manjaro has updated the ARM 64 for Pi4 to include the Pi400

I tried this https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/#raspbe ... kde-plasma

And, out of the box its probably the best Linux experience ive ever had next to Elementary Linux on a laptop some years ago.
Prior to my Pi400 my OS was Ubuntu Studio on a laptop running XFCE. Ubuntu Studio made the switch to XFCE due to the lower resources used by its UI.. Recently I learned that Ubuntu Studio made the change to KDE Plasma for exactly the same reasoning. Low resources and a more productive experience... So, I was keen to try the KDE Plasma UI experience. I'm NOT disappointed :) .. Its very different than the sliding taskbar(panels) of old. but it still has the vast array of features most of which Gnome tried to limit. The difference this time 10+ years on is its utter usability. The right options, info and views always at hand without appearing cluttered.

Running it off a 32gb sd card Its eating up 500mb doing nothing, however, its really really fluid in use unlike Ubuntu-Pi64
My main OS up to now has been PiOS-32 form a WDBlue 500GB SSD and I have to say Manjaro 64 feels just as responsive.

I have PiOS32 set up with Plank as my main launcher, Manjaro64 set up using the Latte dock.
My main reason for wanting to use a 64 bit OS is my reliance on Gimp and other production apps with my perceived or justified assumption that these apps will run quicker on 64bit.
Gimp appears to be processing filters a lot quicker using Manjaro64 over PiOS32

I have tried PiOS64 and found it glitchy.
What I would like to see in a future PiOS64 would be a quick layout switching option to boot into a pre configured 'Mac type' desktop using Plank.. but still a low memory desktop without bells and whistles, ie and non animated (by default) Plank at the bottom working alongside a top screen panel

Damn though ... Manjaro have nailed it ! .... I'll be sticking with this Manjaro64 unless I REALLY need all that 4GB of ram the Pi400 has to offer for some heavier tasks... The way I see it, the Pi5 when it arrives will probably run all 64bit Linux distros without any problems at all, if it didn't, that would not be progress :) ... however, this works great ... NOW !
That said, I'm over clocked with the hardware render @ 60hz rez blocking extensions on Chrome. But that is also needed on 32bit for adequate Zen

Manjaro ARM Pi64 running on a Pi400 below... slick, tactile, smooth interface.

geev03

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:27 am

Kernel: 5.10.16-3-MANJARO-ARM

Code: Select all

geev03@manjaro 
-------------- 
Host: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 
Kernel: 5.10.16-3-MANJARO-ARM 
Uptime: 15 mins 
Packages: 793 (pacman) 
Shell: bash 5.1.4