kemisten

startx dont work when used by user

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am

Hello, ive been looking for a fix to make "startx"/"xinit" as a regular user(not root) work and i finally figure it out. login as root/sudo and type startx/xinit in the console.Now the desktop should load and when your pi has loaded it open pcmanfm (file mnanager)
**On the left side press "Places" select directory three, open root folder.
**select all files and folders,right click select copy
**press home folder and then press folder thats named after your username
**right click the background inside user folder and select paste
**Log out and login on your user and run startx/xinit from consoole and there u go

Ive never used linux before and im not that good at explaining things on english so if you encounter a problem with my instructions just post it hee and ill try help you.
i made tghis thread cuz ive been looking for a ffix over a week 10+ h without any sucsess until now. Hope this fixes your ploblem to.
//benjamin

PeterO

Re: startx dont work when used by user

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm

kemisten wrote:
login as root/sudo and type startx/xinit in the console
This is a really bad idea. This is the thing you did at some point in the past that probably caused your problem in the first place !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

B.Goode

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Ive never used linux before
I don't mean to belittle the Arch Distribution of Linux in its own subforum, but maybe as a new user of Raspberry Pi and Linux maybe you would be better off using the Raspberry Pi Foundation recommended and supported Raspbian version of Linux.

Running a graphical Desktop as a non-root user is enabled by default with Raspbian, no configuration changes needed.

kemisten

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

PeterO wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm
kemisten wrote:
login as root/sudo and type startx/xinit in the console
This is a really bad idea. This is the thing you did at some point in the past that probably caused your problem in the first place !

PeterO
No thats wrong on a fresh install it gives me error when tryying to start on regular user

PeterO

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Oh well, that's what you get for using odd distributions I suppose, they come broken out of the box !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Return to “Arch”