DavidS

New Quirky for Pi 2 and 3.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 am

Berry is working on a new Puppy Quirky for the Raspberry Pi 2/3. For good information read the thread on the Puppy Linux Forums:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108132

And for downloads see:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... ses/alpha/

And Berry's Readme file for the current Puppy Quirky for the RPi 2/3:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... -alpha.htm

The readme only goes up to version 8.0.18, so a bit out of date. The current version as of this writing is version 8.0.25.

My thoughts:
We finaly have a small fast Linux for the Raspberry Pi 2/3 that has all of the bells and whisles. Yes it is currently an alpha release (as of the current version), though it is still a great thing, and apears to be very very usable.

I am looking forward to seeing where this great Linux goes from here. There are already posts on Berry's blog about porting HW accelerated VLC and a few other nice things to come. I think this one will be a winner for sure, hopefuly Berry will keep up with it, though even if he does not I think there are enough people here that want a faster smaller full featured Linux that we will keep it going.

Well it is time for me to reboot into Linux so I can download the newest Puppy for the RPi and dd it to an SD card
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

cjan

Re: New Quirky for Pi 2 and 3.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:08 am

browser which?

DavidS

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 am

cjan wrote:browser which?
I will tell you for sure once I boot it, about an hour left on the downloads (if Raspbian does not crash on me again). Though I think it is Chromium.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

DavidS

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:52 am

cjan wrote:browser which?
Comes with Seamonkey, has FireFox in its standard Repo.

Sorry for the delay, I took a little time to look around the new system.

DavidS

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:04 am

Quick update:
I am running Quirky 8.0.25 on my Raspberry Pi 3B as I post this. It is running well, seems fairly fast.

The default installed Web Browser is Seamonkey 2.40, with Chromium 49.0.2623.108 and Firefox 45.0.2 both available for install from the standard Puppy Quirky ARM7 repo, as well as a few others.

Further the filesystem is using about 460MB on the SD card (huge for a puppy) and includes a lot of extra software.

For those that do not know Puppy, you will need to install the devx package in order to compile anything, as puppy does not include gcc by default. So when you download the SD card image also download the devx package named devx-8.0.24-xerus.pet so you can install it as soon as you are up and running. The .pet is the standard Puppy Linux package format.

cjan

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:12 am

fast fast fast, but can not set wifi up, using SNS or Faxxxx .

DavidS

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 am

cjan wrote:fast fast fast, but can not set wifi up, using SNS or Faxxxx .
For WiFi see the puppy Linux Forums. Yes it is fast.

I do not know the WiFi as I am not using WiFi. I do know there is a trick to it though.

DavidS

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:33 pm

And now I can say that I am definitely sticking with Puppy Linux Quiky on the Raspberry Pi 2/3.

While it took some work I managed to get OpenScad and RepSnapper installed (no luck with slic3r, though RepSnapper does the job). So I can do everything I need on Puppy Linux. And with everything I use installed, including DevX (the package that has all the GNU compiler toolchain along with just about every developer version library, and a few other programming languages) the entire system is taking about 700MB (plus the on disk structure of the Ext4FS [aprox another 500MB on this 32GB SD Card]). On Raspbian that would have taken about 4.5GB for the same set of software, even if I started with the minimal Raspbian and added everything I use, hence the power of Puppy Linux.

And the Rendering in both OpenSCAD and RepSnapper is a lot better in Puppy Linux Quirky than Raspbian :) .

And Puppy Linux is light weight enough to do what I have long wanted to do. Create a set of libraries that implement the source level API of RISC OS ontop of Linux, setup up the desktop Environment to be as close to RISC OS as possible, and implement a very quick (arm to arm) CPU Only emulation layer to run many RISC OS applications, as well as a BASIC V compatible BASIC interpreter including the assembler.

In other words have the best of both worlds (RISC OS and Linux), in a single OS. I had not pursued this as there had not been an appropriate base Linux to work from before now (at least not on the ARM).

cjan

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05 am

new-rc 8.0.98, module loaded & ssid on list & wpa(2) connecting took secs then fail...
on puppy's sub-forum there some guy had same issue but devs ignore it.
in my case (no wired) useless.

DavidS

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:33 pm

cjan wrote:
new-rc 8.0.98, module loaded & ssid on list & wpa(2) connecting took secs then fail...
On the puppy forum in the thread i linked about this version there is a guy that had the same trouble, he posted the solution in that thread.
Also remember this is still an alpha release (I assume you are using Puppy Quirky ARMv7 v8.0.25, not a pre-alpha).

cjan

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:08 pm

DavidS wrote:
cjan wrote:new-rc 8.0.98, module loaded & ssid on list & wpa(2) connecting took secs then fail...
On the puppy forum in the thread i linked about this version there is a guy that had the same trouble, he posted the solution in that thread.
Also remember this is still an alpha release (I assume you are using Puppy Quirky ARMv7 v8.0.25, not a pre-alpha).
there is no solution both .25 & .98.

DavidS

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:49 am

cjan wrote:
DavidS wrote:
cjan wrote:new-rc 8.0.98, module loaded & ssid on list & wpa(2) connecting took secs then fail...
there is no solution both .25 & .98.
SEE:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 749#928749

And that post is in the thread I linked, most of the way down the page on page 9. It seems to be a solution that works (went ahead and setup an 802.11g [WiFi] router on my network to test).

cjan

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am

@DavidS
as your links solution down a step [email protected], that did not solve his problem and my case.

DavidS

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:32 pm

cjan wrote:@DavidS
as your links solution down a step [email protected], that did not solve his problem and my case.
Ok. Well I am not certain of the cause of the trouble. May I recommend asking them on the Puppy Linux forums, because I do not know the solution.

Sorry.

blackcorvo

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:09 pm

For anyone trying to get Raspberry Pi 3's Wireless to work on Quirky, try the following:
Using BerryBoot, go to Edit Menu, then set up your wireless connection from there. Once it's connected and working, exit and start up Quirky.

I was able to make mine work that way!

Return to “Puppy”