ramboton

VNC viewer

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:49 pm

any ideas on what vnc viewer will work?

darkcity

Re: VNC viewer

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi ramboton

Can you provide more info? Is this the VNC your talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing, also what are you trying to achieve? :twisted:

dancytron

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Not on puppy, but for me in Raspian, the only one that worked well enough to actually use was rdesktop, which isn't a vnc client, it is the client for Windows Remote Desktop. I tried 4 or 5 vnc clients, none of them was very good on the Pi (or not good at all).

For a Windows Remote Desktop server on linux, use xrdp with tightvnc server. It works on the Pi and I had it working in Lucid 5.28. On Windows, you have to have the right (Pro) version or hack it.

It works good enough to use Office Applications and Photoshop at a pleasant speed.

darkcity

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 pm

You are serving Office Applications and Photoshop to linux via Windows Remote Desktop?

dancytron

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 pm

darkcity wrote:You are serving Office Applications and Photoshop to linux via Windows Remote Desktop?
Yes. And it was easy and worked the first time. Just install rdesktop and then "rdesktop 192.xxx.xxx.xxx" (windows machine ip) at the prompt and it just worked.

It is a Windows licensed/crippled thing though. If you got XP Home (for example), then you've got to hack it to make it work at all. If you got XP Pro, it will work, but it will log off the person logged on locally when the pi remote person logs in (unless you hack it).

Even to remote access a linux computer from the pi, rdesktop was the only good way I found, just use xrdp on the linux computer.

Return to “Puppy”