ChadP

Resize sd card

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 pm

How do I resize the sd card using puppy? I did it on Debian but it doesn't work the same with puppy.

jecxjo

Re: Resize sd card

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Assuming you followed these steps, where did you run into issues?

http://elinux.org/RPi_Resize_Flash_Part ... spberry_Pi
xmpp: jecxjo@dukgo.com
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

ChadP

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Once I get to where I type d for delete it says bad command or file or something like that. It worked fine for me on Debian but puppy is different .

jecxjo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 am

Sorry I haven't got another SD to try this out so I'm just shooting from the hip, but what is the partition table before you start deleting? Is there a swap partition that needs to be deleted or is it just a root partition? Just making sure you following the instructions reasoning and not just punching in numbers.

Can you show us the error you are receiving?
xmpp: jecxjo@dukgo.com
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

ChadP

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 am

I'll post them when I get home tomorrow, thanks for helping.

drgeoff

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

These Puppys have a swap partition at the end of the 4 Gbyte. That needs to be deleted and remade at the end of the larger SD card before the Linux partition can be expanded. I've always used a separate PC with Gparted to do that so I have no experience of using fdisk under Puppy itself.

Montala

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 am

As it does sound as if things have to be done slightly different with Puppy, is there any chance please that some kind soul could write a 'step by step' description for us 'noobies' of how to do this using Gparted on another Linux PC?

Thanks! :)

jerrylamos

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Puppi setup on another computer . The Puppi image is for a 4 GB SD and I'm using 8 GB. How to use the rest? On another linux PC, Ubuntu is my choice:
sudo gparted
select the SD card, sdb in my case
Select the swap file and move it to the end of the SD
Select the 3+ GB file and resize it to the end of available space, in my case from 3+ GB to 7+ GB

Maybe that's all you need to do.

Now I selected the first partition on tthe SD card and did
gedit config.txt
my problem is the image went past the borders of the TV
Delete the # in front of the overscans
I changed left and right overscans to 20 and the top and bottom to 16. Should be a bit more the desktop still spills over the edge of the TV. It's a Coby 15" wide screen 16:9 ratio and runs at 1366x768, bought on sale from Wallmart at $80.

Now I also overclock so I added
arm_freq=900
core_freq=450
sdram_freq=450
which from the forums runs the Pi at 900 mHz seems to work for many Pi boards.
Save.
Now anther part, I changed the memory split to 192/32 by taking a Debian Pi SD card and copying the file start19232.elf file to start.elf on the puppy first partition replacing the start.elf.

Having done all that you wind up with a Puppy linux which is a fairly full featured linux designed to be conservative on memory use.
It does use Chromium for a browser, big and slow, features HTML5 which will do youtube video's
v e r y s l o w on the Pi, I would say unusable.

Now I do a lot of internet and happen to prefer Debian using Midori for that, (no you tube video) but I do intend to try various Pi operating systems. Maybe Firefox OS next year, maybe there'll be another Pi by then. Wishful thinking.

Return to “Puppy”