BarryK

Quirky Linux 8.1.2 for Pi2 and Pi3

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 pm

See announcement and download links on my blog:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00457

Quirky is a newcomer to the Pi, and there were some issues with the first release, 8.1, and have been steadily resolving them. Hopefully, you will find 8.1.2 to be a very nice experience.

Any issues, please do report them, either here or over at the Puppy Forum:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=375

Note, I read the Puppy Forum more frequently.

Some good news is that I think that the Service Pack mechanism is now fixed for sd-card installations, so in future you won't have to download a complete new sd-card image to upgrade, just a small PET package (PET is the native package format for Puppy Linux).
In theory anyway, I fixed it but haven't yet tested the fix. It should be OK.

A note about the download image, it is for a 8GB sd-card, or bigger. The reason I didn't release a 4GB image, is Quirky has a "snapshot" feature that needs lots of room. This feature is something that users have come to love. You can take a snapshot of a working system, then at any time in the future can choose to roll back to any earlier snapshot.

Which is great if you have broken the installation. Or, you compiled lots of packages, and just want to get rid of them all -- take a snapshot before doing all the compiling and you can just restore to it.

To find out more, look in the menu "Filesystem -> Snapshot Manager".

An intro to snapshots is here:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00034

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. There is lots to like about Quirky.
Last edited by BarryK on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK

Re: Quirky Linux 8.1.2 for Pi2 and Pi3

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:09 pm

On the subject of rolling back, an extra note.

Quirky is designed so that any PET package can be uninstalled, and the system will go back to how it was before the PET was installed. If a newly installed PET overwrites an existing file, that file gets archived (look under /audit folder), and if the PET gets uninstalled, the archiveed file gets restored.

This mechanism is also supposed to work with Service Pack PETs, so in theory you could upgrade to a new version of Quirky, but if you don't like it, just uninstall the PET.

I say "in theory" because this roll-back hasn't had much testing.

Note, the aforementioned "snapshot" mechanism can also be used to roll back a version upgrade. Take a snapshot before installing the Service Pack. Snapshots are more tested.

cjan

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:23 pm

1. SimpleVP, SDL & X11 v_out --> no video only audio.
2. install chromium from PIXEL, running very well but must start with --no-sandbox cause 'root privilege'.
3. install xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo from xenial, seems no problem.

cjan

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:12 am

cjan wrote:3. install xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo from xenial, seems no problem.
libump needed stolen from jessie.

cjan

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:03 pm

@BarryK
found this to fix 8192cu issue for ubuntu.
https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes

TheOriginal_Den24

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:05 am

I have to say sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i had to say Thankyou BarryK, finally gave me something worth running on my Pi (other than Raspbian). I thought Puppi was a lost cause but im glad you decided to make a working version we can use.

p.s. I still never did get that Pburn.pet working on Ubuntu no matter what i tryed XD

thank you, gonna give this a go :) #MadeMyYear
(o_0)<[Whaa?.... and they say IM CraZy]

EggyBoB

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Wow its Barry you are a Legend Barry :)
I used to use puppy a lot i had to stop using it after our little man passed as i found anything dog related too upsetting.

I will give this a go later Barry cheers
Ps hope alls well with you ;-).

Return to “Puppy”