walem
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:18 am

Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:25 am

Pidora is it available for model 2 (armv7) ?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36554
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:16 am

Do you need Pidora any more? Fedora has native ARMv7 support.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ARM_as_Primary
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

andtaeus
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:45 am

DougieLawson wrote:Do you need Pidora any more? Fedora has native ARMv7 support.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ARM_as_Primary
That actually sounds swell.

But which architecture? i386 or x64?

I spent the better half of my spare time yesterday trying to install pidora. First manually, then with NOOBS. I finaly just went with raspbian, just for the sake of testing.

User avatar
grynnan
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm

andtaeus wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Do you need Pidora any more? Fedora has native ARMv7 support.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ARM_as_Primary
That actually sounds swell.

But which architecture? i386 or x64?
.
Neither. It's the ARM distro you want. i386 and x64 aren't compatible with the processor on the Pi (any of 'em including Pi 2)

andtaeus
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:10 pm

grynnan wrote:
andtaeus wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Do you need Pidora any more? Fedora has native ARMv7 support.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ARM_as_Primary
That actually sounds swell.

But which architecture? i386 or x64?
.
Neither. It's the ARM distro you want. i386 and x64 aren't compatible with the processor on the Pi (any of 'em including Pi 2)
Thank you! Actually, thinking about it, it was a stupid question. The installation process just looks... overwhelming.

dfunk
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 am

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:03 am

The installation process just looks... overwhelming.
Which installation process are we meant to use?
Would it be creating your own Fedora remix?
I tried the 'fedora-arm-installer' with the image 'Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-21-5-sda.raw' but this didn't get me anything except a black screen when attempting to boot.

andtaeus
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 am

dfunk wrote:
The installation process just looks... overwhelming.
Which installation process are we meant to use?
Would it be creating your own Fedora remix?
I tried the 'fedora-arm-installer' with the image 'Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-21-5-sda.raw' but this didn't get me anything except a black screen when attempting to boot.
Well, I am having the same issue as you. I'm not really sure how to install that raw file on the SD card. I thought about just extracting the file on the SD, but then technically it isn't installed.

User avatar
Jim Manley
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 am

The Pi is a very special case implementation of ARM, even with the Coretex A-7 quad-core system-on-a-chip (SoC). The Pi boots from the SD card via the Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU, not an ARM CPU, which is really just a traffic cop between the Ethernet and USB ports and the GPU, which actually drives the HDMI, NTSC, and audio ports. The generic ARM distros you find at the various sites such as Ubuntu, Red Hat/Fedora, Arch, etc., are wired to boot from a hard drive, solid-state drive, USB flash RAM drive, optical drive, etc., via the ARM CPU directly. As has been done for desktop/laptop/server versions of Ubuntu (not the Internet of Things Snappy Core alpha version provided via the Foundation) at:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 56&t=98997

someone will need to create a port of Fedora for the Pi (i.e., an updated version of Pidora). At least it will be a lot easier than the v6 version (which took a university years to get fully implemented) since the Coretex A-7 variant will be better supported, using more recently developed code than the older ARM v6 architecture used in the original Pii.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

dfunk
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 am

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:44 am

Edward Mann has it working!
Read his comment here: http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1286#comment-7161

User avatar
Jim Manley
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:07 pm

dfunk wrote:Edward Mann has it working!
Read his comment here: http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1286#comment-7161
I asked Edward if he can post a torrent image for an SD card for those newbies who won't be able to do what Edward did without a Linux system to extract the files from http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/rele ... sda.raw.xz that go into the ext4 partition, and to understand how to copy the Pi boot partition files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware. If he doesn't, it would be nice if someone else could - I'm busy traveling and won't have a Linux system handy to do it for a couple of weeks.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

paxton
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:40 pm

On Fedora's own https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM page, under the Raspberry Pi heading, they link to the Pidora project.

That tells me the support for Raspberry Pi is not there yet in Fedora. They do list compatible ARM boards, but Raspberry Pi is not one of them.

Personally, I use Pidora. We use Fedora/RHEL. Until they (Fedora/RH, etc.) support it natively, I don't see me moving away from Pidora, as it is perfectly stable and useful to me.

EDIT: Sorry, ignore everything I just said. I just realized this was about RPI2.

spartacus2006
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 pm

I have created a Fedora 21 image using the methods described above. There is no swap and no automatic resize of the root partition/filesystem, but it does boot into a Fedora 21 minimal environment with a slim anaconda setup that runs on the first boot to set the timezone and root password.

Hopefully Raspberry Pi can host this image (or build it themselves if they don't trust me). I only have a 2GB microSD card, but a bigger one is on its way. Planning to create an Fedora XFCE image when it arrives.

http://www.variantweb.net/downloads/fed ... pi2.img.xz

spartacus2006
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:22 pm

For those interested in rolling their own RPi2 images based on the official Fedora 21 armhfp images, I made a one-shot script to do it.

https://github.com/spartacus06/rpi2-fed ... ge-builder

vk4tux
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 am

...
Last edited by vk4tux on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirkS
Posts: 10017
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:07 am

The Forum moderators should provide a Fedora Section.
Then why do you post this in an existing topic with 'Pidora' in the title?
Wouldn't it be better if you had at least started a new topic?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24139
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:09 am

I think we will just rename this forum to Pidora/Fedora, there simply not enough demand for two forums.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21077
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:11 am

jamesh wrote:I think we will just rename this forum to Pidora/Fedora, there simply not enough demand for two forums.
+1
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

DomL
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 am

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi vk4tx,

Is your version with "KDE" really stable ?
I tried several times to set up a version of Debian (the latest one uploaded) with KDE, but I am really frustrated with the results : it is very unstable : kdm doesn't seem to work well, and the system hangs very regularly...

May I ask why you choose to build that image with Fedora ? What advantages does Fedora offer compared to Debian, for example ? I must admit that I do not know Fedora at all... ;-)

Kind regards,

DL

Ongelma
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:46 am

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 am

Actually my pi2 wont even boot with this KDE image.....

edit. reflashing helps.... ;)

edit2. reflashing helped indeed.. now it boots but can only see the screen in hdmi output. Composite out wont give any picture. Also the boot freezes in the "starting gnome......"

Ongelma
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:46 am

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 am

one more reflash and now i get it to boot to desktop.... BUT. theres some icons showing up in the bottom of the desktop and after they all show up, the desktop disappears and it gets a shutdown command and shuts down... rinse and repeat.

Any help?. :D

vk4tux
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:23 pm

DirkS wrote:
The Forum moderators should provide a Fedora Section.
Then why do you post this in an existing topic with 'Pidora' in the title?
Wouldn't it be better if you had at least started a new topic?
If you cant understand that, sorry I cant help you.

DirkS
Posts: 10017
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:26 pm

vk4tux wrote:
DirkS wrote:
The Forum moderators should provide a Fedora Section.
Then why do you post this in an existing topic with 'Pidora' in the title?
Wouldn't it be better if you had at least started a new topic?
If you cant understand that, sorry I cant help you.
If you think that then I can only assume that you did not get my point.

BTW: this section is now renamed to 'Pidora / Fedora', so there's even more reason to start a new topic...

vk4tux
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:32 pm

DomL wrote:
Hi vk4tx,

Is your version with "KDE" really stable ?
I tried several times to set up a version of Debian (the latest one uploaded) with KDE, but I am really frustrated with the results : it is very unstable : kdm doesn't seem to work well, and the system hangs very regularly...

May I ask why you choose to build that image with Fedora ? What advantages does Fedora offer compared to Debian, for example ? I must admit that I do not know Fedora at all... ;-)

Kind regards,

DL
My RPI2 with Fedora 21 is an incredible workhorse and very stable see it here ;

http://vk4tux.duckdns.org/rpi2dt.jpg

http://vk4tux.duckdns.org/RPI2_DV3000U.jpg

I can tell you that I use Fedora, Ubuntu , Debian everyday in my arm device and AR software support I provide.

When it comes to KDE the Debian/Ubuntu versions are a Joke compared to the fedora KDE, which is a proper job with better content & look.. The locale section is a prime example.

I just built a AR system on the Odroid C1 with fedora 21, that was impossible with Ubuntu and its issues with wx 2.8 Base,
which is still required for some older but still very good code.

Well its nice that the moderators at least added fedora to the tag here.

vk4tux
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Ongelma wrote:one more reflash and now i get it to boot to desktop.... BUT. theres some icons showing up in the bottom of the desktop and after they all show up, the desktop disappears and it gets a shutdown command and shuts down... rinse and repeat.

Any help?. :D
I tell you something, dont mess with rubbish SD cards, Use only genuine sandisk ultra (48mb/s) 8 to 16GB for excellent long lasting performance.

This image has 300 worldwide users right now, and they love it, It can run up to 4 repeaters including a sound interface.

If you cant get it booted check your uSD card and dont use Kingston, they are absolute rubbish.

Also of course edit config.txt to suit your needs. Above image is clocked at 1GHZ per core.

Adrian ... vk4tux

Ongelma
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:46 am

Re: Pidora for Raspberry PI 2

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:55 am

exactly the sd card im using. sandisk ultra 16gb. It boots ok and gives me a desktop but as soon as the icons are all loaded, it reboots. Nothing wrong with my SD card (s)

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”