coralnut

Problems with X11 in Pidora

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:50 pm

I've just installed the 2014-3 version of Pidora and I've run into a problem getting the GUI.

My B+ is going to be used primarily in a headless format, though I will need to occasionally hook up a monitor and keyboard if there are problems. to that end, I installed Pidora using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable and plugged-in my DVI monitor. When running through the configuration options I chose "text boot" mode (which I think probably refers to runlevel 3), HDMI output with backup being NTSC video (I'm in the USA), and I checked the box for the use of a DVI converter, as I need to use an HDMI-to-DVI cable to hook up my DVI monitor.

At present I have the DVI monitor hooked up through the adapter cable, but no analog monitor is connected.

The system is working fine in text mode. When I attempt "startx" I run into problems. Instead of loading the GUI, I receive a graphical image that says there is a problem and that I cannot continue. /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not show any errors.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the GUI up and running? startx from the command line already fails to work, so I'm thinking that changing the default target to runlevel 5 isn't going to help either. I'm thinking that the best bet would be to re-run the Pidora install/configuration script, but I can't find it.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Problems with X11 in Pidora

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:53 pm

moved to pidora.

coralnut

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:01 am

much to my amazement, Pidora will not allow you to startx if the machine has been booted in runlevel3. Specifically, if the user changes the /etc/systemd/system/default.target symlink to refer to /lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target instead of the runlevel5.target, this causes a failure when startx is issued at the command line. This makes it impossible for anyone to enter a GUI when booting to runlevel 3.

In other words, Pidora doesn't work properly. Any other linux distribution can be started in runlevel 3 and the user is capable of a transition to the GUI. But not Pidora. It appears that whoever is responsible for the port of Fedora to the ARM platform screwed this up.

Has anyone got a clue how to fix it?

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 am

What's in runlevel 4 or runlevel 5?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#H ... vel.29_.3F
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

coralnut

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:41 pm

It wasn't clear to me whether you were providing information or asking a question.

I am familiar with the runlevel terminology, and also with the new boot target syntax that uses symlinks to replace runlevel numbers with language equivalents.

In case you were asking a question:

Runlevel 3 is multi-user mode with networking, also known as text mode.
Runlevel 5 is runlevel 3 with the graphical display manager started automatically, also known as GUI mode.

A linux system is supposed to be able to switch from runlevel 3 (text mode) to runlevel 5 (gui mode) when the user invokes the display manager. Unfortunately, Pidora seems not to be able to do that. When I issue "startx" from runlevel 3 the GUI fails to load and produces an error message. something is broken with the fresh Pidora install. IT would appear that hte people who did the port from Fedora's ARM package messed something up. Pidora is not acting the way that Fedora is supposed to work.

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:03 pm

I thought the old sysvinit system was 100% dead on Pidora and everything has switched to systemd. What happens if you switch to the graphical.target with systemctl isolate graphical.target does X get started for you?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

coralnut

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 am

edit: the condensed version of this post should read: 'Even in the advent of systemd, "startx" is not obsolete; it just isn't working on Pidora 2014-3.'

I guess I need to clarify my response.

Pidora is a port of Fedora 20 that unfortunately does not work like Fedora 20. Somewhere along the lines of porting F20 to the RPi the behavior of F20 was changed so that Pidora does not behave like F20 upon which it is based. This would suggest that something in the F20 / F20 ARM distribution was broken somewhere along the process of porting it to the older ARM chips (RPi) that are supported by Pidora.

In F20 you can do this: to change modes on the next boot:

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target
# systemctl set-default graphical.target

in doing this, systemctl takes care of the drudgery of manually recreating the symlinks. example:

ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

As you can see, the systemd business looks like a complicated wrapper that's built around changing the default.target to point at runlevel 5. As far as kernel is concerned, runlevel 5 is still runlevel 5.

Insofar as the multi-user.target is analogous to runlevel 3, setting multi-user.target as the default boots up F20 in multi-user (text) mode, previously known as runlevel 3. By design, the TARGET.target system is designed only to configure the target that is used to boot the system, and is not supposed to impose any incompatibility wrt changing runlevels. In other words, you can boot F20 using the multi-user.target, which places you in a text mode console. At your will, you can type startx to invoke the graphical display manager, do your business in X11, and log out of X11 being returned to the text mode console. This is the way linux is supposed to work -- the TARGET.target system is designed to BOOT the computer, not to control what the user does with the computer after it is booted. Starting X11 amounts to nothing more than starting a graphical program in userspace.

Unfortunately Pidora 2014-3 doesn't work this way. If you configure the system to boot into the graphical.target (to properly configure the gdm) and then change the default target to "multi-user.target", and then reboot, you get booted into text mode as expected. but then it's impossible to invoke the gdm from the command line to start X11. (This is abnormal.) The only way to invoke X11 is to set the default target to "graphical.target" and reboot the machine. Once the machine is rebooted, you're taken directly into X11 (as expected) and upon exiting X11 you go back to the gdm logon screen. You can't exit from X11 to text mode. To get back to a text console you have to change the default target back to multi-user.target and reboot.

All of this rebooting business is quite a pain in the side. I guess the Windows crowd has been conditioned to accept this as normal even though it is not. There is no reason that the kernel should have to be reloaded just to change runlevels in userspace. Linux kernels don't work that way. F20 doesn't work that way. Pidora, though it is built on F20, is unique in that it doesn't support the changing of runlevels in userspace. It issues a GUI error screen if you try to do this, because there is a gdm configuration problem, which is presumably created by an error in the target configurations.

I'd really like to find out why this is happening so that I can fix what's broken.

Thanks for your time.

Davidm11

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Help! Whenever I boot up my pi it asks me which run level to enter. I don't know much about this so I looked it up, and as far as I can see I should be in 2. But if I enter '2', then it says 'INIT entering run level 2
INIT no more processes left in this runlevel'and after this I can't do any thing with the mouse. Also I can't see how to make a post on this website so I'm stuck to posting a reply. Please help. Sorry if it's unrelated to the question

DiosAres

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 am

Try with startxfce. I set text mode boot and I can get into graphical mode with this command.

vk4tux

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 am

DiosAres wrote:Try with startxfce. I set text mode boot and I can get into graphical mode with this command.
startxfce4

vk4tux

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:03 am

coralnut wrote:I've just installed the 2014-3 version of Pidora and I've run into a problem getting the GUI.

My B+ is going to be used primarily in a headless format, though I will need to occasionally hook up a monitor and keyboard if there are problems. to that end, I installed Pidora using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable and plugged-in my DVI monitor. When running through the configuration options I chose "text boot" mode (which I think probably refers to runlevel 3), HDMI output with backup being NTSC video (I'm in the USA), and I checked the box for the use of a DVI converter, as I need to use an HDMI-to-DVI cable to hook up my DVI monitor.

At present I have the DVI monitor hooked up through the adapter cable, but no analog monitor is connected.

The system is working fine in text mode. When I attempt "startx" I run into problems. Instead of loading the GUI, I receive a graphical image that says there is a problem and that I cannot continue. /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not show any errors.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the GUI up and running? startx from the command line already fails to work, so I'm thinking that changing the default target to runlevel 5 isn't going to help either. I'm thinking that the best bet would be to re-run the Pidora install/configuration script, but I can't find it.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

What desktop system ? xfce4 uses startxfce4

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”