pnelsonsr

New pi B+ problem booting

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I got a new raspberry pi b+ the other day and put a 32GB MicroSD card in it with Pidora (Pidora-2014-R1.img.gz) on it. I started it up and everything seemed to work great. Later I added a 1TB external HD to it via a powered USB hub to it and mounted the drive. Again things seemed to work great. Then after a few days I had a freeze up on the raspberry pi and when rebooting I had some file system errors. OK not good but after rebooting it everything appeared normal. Today I had another freeze up when ssh'ed into the the raspberry pi, but when looking a the monitor connected to the pi it showed errors like:

mmcblk0: error -110 transfer data, sector 305920, nr 136, cmd response 0x0900, crd status 0xb00
mmcblk0: error -110 transfer data, sector 305920, nr 136, cmd response 0x0900, crd status 0xb00
end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 305920

and this just keeps logging to stdout/stderr with the sector number increasing by 1 with each iteration. So I stopped the raspberry pi and pulled the MicroSD card out and did a forced full fsck -a /dev/sdg1 and then fsck -fpv /dev/sdg2 and then fsck -c /dev/sdg2 on another system and everything appeared to be fine. I then did the same for the external HD and again and everything appeared to be fine. So I put the microSD card back into the raspberry pi and again tried to boot it. On the initial boot screen (with rotating Pidora logo) it starts saying that rootfs is clean and then goes into the error sequence above... So I never added the external HD to the rasberry pi.

I'm not sure what I should try next... Any suggestions?

fruitoftheloom

Re: New pi B+ problem booting

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:49 am

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/206

The above stated a firmware / kernel update, is not Pidora at revision R2 now ??
Retired disgracefully.....

pnelsonsr

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks fruitoftheloom!

I went to the link listed and the person stated a problem with his SD card which was a 16G Sandisk. Mine is a 32G microSD from Sandisk, so he suggested adding a few items to the cmdline.txt file which I did and I was able to boot up my raspberry pi b+ with no problems (so far at least....). What I did was:

Mounted the first partition of the mSD card on another system and then I edited the cmdline.txt file adding

Code: Select all

sdhci-bcm2708.missing_status=0 sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0
to the end of the text on the first (and only) line. Then put this back into the raspberry pi b+ and booted it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:11 am

never heard about this, can anybody explain what this entry in "cmdline.txt" does?
cmdline.txt is a way to pass commands to the kernel, so at least the kernel must have booted, so it cannot be a "classic boot problem".

is this specific to pidora?

pnelsonsr

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 am

@mahjongg I do not think it is specific to pidora! The link is to github raspberrypi firmware issue and in the thread they are talking about raspbian updates. There is a discusion of it at https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/72

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”