LucidEye

Pidora is DEAD.... please read...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:15 am

OK... Here is the OFFICIAL last posting I could find on Pidora 18 stating that it's development was apparently abandoned over 2 months ago. You can confirm this by going to the Pidora website and looking at their forum page which has been closed down and is now full of nothing but spam.
The following post comes directly from the Element14 website forum.... it pretty much confirms that all Pidora development has been abandoned for the Raspberry Pi using the ARMv6 chip architecture... because that architecture is now obsolete... which more or less makes the Pi itself obsolete... which makes me wonder if the Pi was even worth buying if Linux distros are going to be abandoning development for a chip that's no longer being made. :-(

2. Jun 4, 2013 1:47 PM (in response to oatley)
Re: Pidora 18 (Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix) Status Update

Andrew,

Thanks for the minutes!
It's encouraging to see that fundamental issues are being addressed, particuarly:

"The future of Pidora--

How much energy do we want to put into this?
Low energy: just build what's in Fedora
High energy: make this the preferred/top Raspi distro"

It's important that if you plan to make this a low-energy project, that
this be clear to your audience. Otherwise, it looks like you're spending
lots of energy, but with very little to show for it, which isn't at all good for
your résumés.

I would like to point out the difference between a meeting agenda and
meeting minutes, because these "minutes" look more like an agenda to me.
Meeting minutes normally say who attended the meeting. These don't.
Meeting agendas list the topics to be discussed, but meeting minutes
also summarize the discussions, particularly including any decisions made
and any action items assigned, and any decisions deferred to a future meeting.
Meeting minutes normally say when the previous meeting was, with a link
to its minutes, and when the next meeting will be.
Staff meeting minutes normally say what each staff member has been working
on since the previous meeting, and what their priorities are for the next work period.

I would suggest as topics for the next meeting:
a) RPi camera support
b) Wayland preview support
c) NOOBS support
d) pixman armv6 optimizations
e) status of each open bug report
f) GPU accelerated X11 plans, if any
g) support plans for soft-float Fedora Remix 18
h) Pidora 19 plans, if any

notes:

for (e) bug report status, please include status of the 25 open bug reports in
your previous tracker at:
https://fedorahosted.org/arm/report/1
such as #63: "fxup_cd.dat and start_cd.elf are missing from the RPM making booting the raspberry with gpu_mem=16 impossible"

for (h) Pidora 19 plans, I suggest that with limited resources you would attract more users
by focusing your effort on improving Pidora 18, even if it means deferring Pidora 19,
rather than continuing the apparent policy of always focusing effort on the next release to the
detriment of the current release users.

I note that there have been significant changes in plans since the RPi Fedora Remix started,
beyond the obvious loss of market position as the RPF recommended distro,
notably, X11 GPU acceleration has apparently been abandoned, leaving little hope for
significantly improved browser speed; Fedora ARM has abandoned pre-armv7 architectures,
making armv6 support more difficult; plans for armv6 as a primary Fedora architecture have been
abandoned; plans for mainlining the RPi kernel changes have apparently been abandoned;
any hope for including RPi in a unified ARM kernel has apparently been abandoned;
any hope for youtube viewing in a browser window on Pidora has apparently been abandoned
and instead we have NOOBS for switching between xbmc and Pidora.

Given these changes in plans, it would not be unreasonable to announce that Pidora
support is not planned beyond Pidora 18, so you can focus your efforts on armv8 and
similar projects that have long-term viability.

So that's it in a nutshell... Pidora is dead, and should be removed from the Raspberry Pi site as it will never be completed.

uthenob

Re: Pidora is DEAD.... please read...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:41 am

IMO people can still use pidora but it will just be outdated

LucidEye

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 am

It's not just outdated... it was never finished... and never will be... and will no longer have any support from the developers... why keep it posted here as a viable OS when it's not? It's full of bugs, even it's first-boot configuration app doesn't work properly... and it doesn't have many software packages available for it. Doesn't make any sense to keep it here... it should be removed... or at the very least a warning about it's lack of support and functionality should be posted with the download link so that people don't end up wasting a LOT of time installing it and trying to get it to work... which it never will. I'm just trying to save a lot of people all of the grief I just went through over the past several days trying to get this OS working only to find out it will never work.

gritz

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 am

LucidEye wrote:It's not just outdated... it was never finished... and never will be... and will no longer have any support from the developers... why keep it posted here as a viable OS when it's not? It's full of bugs, even it's first-boot configuration app doesn't work properly... and it doesn't have many software packages available for it. Doesn't make any sense to keep it here... it should be removed... or at the very least a warning about it's lack of support and functionality should be posted with the download link so that people don't end up wasting a LOT of time installing it and trying to get it to work... which it never will. I'm just trying to save a lot of people all of the grief I just went through over the past several days trying to get this OS working only to find out it will never work.
It's not dead - it's just resting...

Seneca have previous form for this - they are so busy having meetings about the next release (transcriptions are available on their site and are a great way to kill a dull morning at work) that they completely forget about the current release and all the unglamorous faff that goes with it - like bugfixing, writing human-readable documentation, communicating with customers, checking that their servers are working so that potential users can actually download the product...

No, it's not dead - someday it will return with an incremented version number (and a bunch of new bugs) and the whole sorry cycle will start again.

ddxfish

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 am

If you are only interested in using Pidora on the Pi then yes it might not be for you. The Pi is for power users that want to build a contraption with python/C/linux, and its main selling point is the GPIO pins for me.

The Pi is intended to use Raspbian, not Pidora (although it sounded cool). In my opinion it is underpowered for a desktop OS but who uses it for that? My Pi runs Raspbian command line and never enters a desktop OS. It is a server for me. If you are looking for a desktop computer, buy a dell, but you will not find any GPIO's on a dell, or be able to boot from $35 plus an sd card.

This is what the Pi was made for, its what I use it for and its what I love it for. Its a learning tool for beginners, and a production tool for developers, and a toy for anyone wanting to play with Linux and ARM.

The "loss" of Pidora will have 0 effect on my love for the Pi. There is only one place in my heart for this type of device and the Pi still holds it. Its still great at what it does, and is certainly not obsolete to those who know how to use it fully.
My Pi Guides: http://www.etcwiki.org/wiki/Category:Raspberry_Pi
My AIM screen name: ddxfish
Always happy to chat about the Pi!

gritz

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 am

Some more recent OSTEP meeting minutes:

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.p ... 2013-07-17
Pidora

ToDo

SOPs

Ansible SOP (oatley) (done)

Pidora sign mash rsync SOP (oatley) (done)

Sigul SOP (oatley)

Koji-follow SOP (fossjon) (done?)

Document chroot process SOP (v6 specific package changes) from blog (fossjon)

Pidora repo sym link setup SOP (oatley)

Pidora repo sym link double space rsync (oatley)

In process (oatley)

Need to schedule SOP tests (Aug/Sep)

Build f19 + f18 updates is being built (agreene)

Automate the vc-firmware packages (agreene)

Release status and feedback--

Monitor trac

Blog posts for pidora x2 each week

Choose a day and start blogging together

Schedule publishing to start Monday 2013-07-22 (ctyler)

Issue Tickets

/etc/hostname file conflict? overriding sysconfig value? (agreene) (Possible solutions) (Ticket ###)

modify firstboot to write hostname file

delete file in post of kickstart

Legality of a pidora miniDLNA package? where can we include it?

agreene (Ticket ###)

Camera support testing (agreene) (Ticket ###)

Building F18-updates, F19, Rawhide:

f19 is building (agreene)

agreene is buildmaster

qt-webkit, gstreamer-bad-free, perl-crypt-ssl, and more! (done)

start building by 2013-06-28

F19 Timeframe - Need to look at package set issues

Estimate by 2013-08-06 (agreene)

Infra Duties

A pidora-team group email address so chris doesn't get all the complaints (place on pidora.ca) (ctyler -> fossjon 2013-07-17)

Safe guarded sign/mash/rsync script for better automation and less manual user error (oatley)

Needs testing of email (2013-07-19)

A main site to post updates or feedback or announcements? (pidora.ca site && #pidora channel && blog)

pidora irc not a OP can't change topic (get Dan to set auto-op on OSTEP team members)

Post this info to forums

Start a pidora mailing list? (<--- hold for now)

Pidora blog--

Need 2 articles per person by EOW

Blog Posts

Ask the community forums about what people might want to do?

How to set a static ip networkmanager (fossjon) (done)

How to install and use scratch

How to make a basic python scrypt

Use yumex for a graphical install

Turn the raspberry pi into a media centre?

Setup some servers, httpd, sshd, etc

Configure firewall and selinux

Changing XFCE theme or layout

Firstboot module changes -- jon

Need to look at F19+ firstboot and i18n code in there (agreene 2013-08-06)

ex usage: _("This is some text")

check modules from upstream, add to our modules

Optimizations

Needs folder reorg (oatley 2013-07-19)
Not dead, just sick as a parrot? :lol:

Oakham

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:28 am

I feel you are being entirely unfair Eagle, Fedora for the Pi has been in limbo for the last two years and apart from die-hard fans most just walk away, as I did ! 8-)
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

LucidEye

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 am

I AM trying to build a project... and it's on hold because I can't find a freakin stable OS to build it on.... jeez... OK... going to explain this one more time...
I'm a photographer.. I bought the R-Pi so I could do camera control, motion control, and time lapse.
I can't even get one of these OSs to simply run the gphoto2 camera control software so I can use my DSLR in tethered mode.
Raspbian seems to do other things I need it to do like connect to a RTC module, connect via WiFi with VNC clients for remote control, and runs my stepper motors... however, it can't run the gphoto2 software that is critical for the camera operation... it's completely flaky and unreliable and just hangs 5 out of 6 tries... not feasible for building a stable, in-the-field unit.

Pidora seems to run the gphoto2 software just fine, but that's all it can do.. it can't do any of the other things I need it to do like the RTC, VNC, NTP, or various other basic stuff because it was abandoned long before all of it's bugs were fixed... like most Fedora distros.

And now I can't seem to get Arch to even install on an SD card... it's starting to look like this whole R-Pi thing is just a bunch of bs.. nothing really works for it... unless you are a programmer and have nothing but free time on your hands to rewrite or customize a bunch of code... I am not a programmer, and I have a day job so I can't just sit around all day with my fingers in my Pi.

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:07 am

LucidEye wrote:I AM trying to build a project... and it's on hold because I can't find a freakin stable OS to build it on.... jeez... OK... going to explain this one more time...
I'm a photographer.. I bought the R-Pi so I could do camera control, motion control, and time lapse.
I can't even get one of these OSs to simply run the gphoto2 camera control software so I can use my DSLR in tethered mode.
Raspbian seems to do other things I need it to do like connect to a RTC module, connect via WiFi with VNC clients for remote control, and runs my stepper motors... however, it can't run the gphoto2 software that is critical for the camera operation... it's completely flaky and unreliable and just hangs 5 out of 6 tries... not feasible for building a stable, in-the-field unit.

Pidora seems to run the gphoto2 software just fine, but that's all it can do.. it can't do any of the other things I need it to do like the RTC, VNC, NTP, or various other basic stuff because it was abandoned long before all of it's bugs were fixed... like most Fedora distros.

And now I can't seem to get Arch to even install on an SD card... it's starting to look like this whole R-Pi thing is just a bunch of bs.. nothing really works for it... unless you are a programmer and have nothing but free time on your hands to rewrite or customize a bunch of code... I am not a programmer, and I have a day job so I can't just sit around all day with my fingers in my Pi.
move to raspbian
find out why gphoto does not work
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Dutch_Master

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 am

LucidEye wrote:I'm a photographer.. [....] not feasible for building a stable, in-the-field unit.
I assume you're making a living with your camera? If so, invest in professional equipment. Yes it's expensive, but when something goes belly up, you have someone to blame (and claim compensation from). It's no fun tinkering electronics on a tin of beans, when all you want is create art while indulging in a pizza ;)

Oakham

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 am

I suggested Raspbian and fix gphoto2, no response (in other thread) :roll:

I do agree that Fedora has never been usable for a newbie :cry:

I suggested Arch, but it is no go as it does not come with a DE, though gphoto and vlc are both in the repositories. :o

The bottom line is whatever monetary back-up any distro receives it down to community to create, but the OP feels that volunteers should fix all his issues free of charge and yesterday. :twisted:

I personally feel that the rant in this and the other post should be yanked totally as it does not one iota make the Pi Community look good, but then I would also yank any posts to do with must have features. :D :D :D

gritz

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Oakham wrote:I suggested Raspbian and fix gphoto2, no response (in other thread) :roll:

I do agree that Fedora has never been usable for a newbie :cry:

I suggested Arch, but it is no go as it does not come with a DE, though gphoto and vlc are both in the repositories. :o

The bottom line is whatever monetary back-up any distro receives it down to community to create, but the OP feels that volunteers should fix all his issues free of charge and yesterday. :twisted:

I personally feel that the rant in this and the other post should be yanked totally as it does not one iota make the Pi Community look good, but then I would also yank any posts to do with must have features. :D :D :D
I don't think that airbrushing history will help anyone - it certainly won't help all of those who are yet to experience the same woes. There is already an unwritten rule about not criticising the functionality of anything open-source - "if you don't like it then fix it yourself", etc. This is fine as far as it goes, but:

1) It's not really applicable to big sprawls like an OS. It might even be a stretch to re-write a small application that is opaque, with e.g. no code commenting (a poorly written program is likely to be poorly documented).

2) it's just not very inclusive. Only programmers need apply.

3) it doesn't really seem to work anyway. Nothing gets fixed. Newbs complain. Old hands get defensive. Rinse. Repeat.

Encouraging quality control surely has to be a better way of raising the positive profile of FOSS than censorship of failure, no?

It is unfortunate that the entire open source community's reputation (and the reputation of associated hardware) gets a battering because of the occasional bit of buggy, poorly supported chaff, but in this case we're not talking about something put together for a specific purpose by someone in their spare time and then subsequently offered to the community "as is", we're talking about an educational establishment accepting grant money in return for what appears to be as little effort as possible.

Perhaps Pidora is only supported during term time! ;)

Oakham

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 pm

gritz you appear to have missed my points and inserted your assumptions..............

gritz

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Oakham wrote:gritz you appear to have missed my points and inserted your assumptions..............
Sorry Oakham, but which points? That "rants" (which whilst sometimes tiresome are usually just streams of conciousness made in the heat of the moment and may occasionally be valuable) should be routinely airbrushed out because they might affect the image of Planet Pi, or that it's ok for "free" software (supplied by an organisation that receives a grant in order to promote "free" software and should know better) to suck?

Yeah, the best move for the OP would probably be a return to Raspbian (which is "known good" and has a far larger user base of knowledgeable people to call upon) and to try and fix the issues with gphoto, but we'll see. Hopefully he'll calm down a bit and there will be a happy ending, or at least a cessation of hostilities. :)

BTW I don't see any particular harm with feature requests either (even the particularly daft ones) and W.H. Heydt seems to enjoy policing those threads anyway. Far be it from me to spoil his fun!

itimpi

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:10 pm

I notice that gphoto2 is in the Raspbian repository and can be installed via apt-get. I wonder what is wrong with that version? I do not have the appropriate camera to check it out.

AndrewS

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 am

The OP seems to be blaming the OS for the ability to run gphoto2 or not (he says that Pidora runs gphoto2 okay, but that Raspbian makes gphoto2 crash). I think what he's not realising is that it probably isn't the underlying OS that's to blame, but the actual version of gphoto2 that the OperatingSystem is including (FreeSoftware/OpenSource projects typically have many many incremental versions, rather than just one or two major versions like you get with commercial software).
So if he could verify which exact versions of gphoto2 Pidora and and Raspbian are actually using, maybe he could install the older 'pidora version' of gphoto2 on Raspbian (maybe he'd need to install the different version from sourcecode rather than using the pre-compiled version) and that would fix his problems?

LucidEye

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:24 pm

OK people... yes... like I said I was getting frustrated and felt like this whole project idea of mine was going nowhere and I really needed help... and I did apologize for being frustrated... so... on that note... Let me please apologize again and again thank those who saw my frustration and were kind enough to look past it and be helpful regardless of my ranting... I know I have a tendency to rant sometimes... I used to make a living in forums like this and doing phone support... 15 years of being a network and systems admin supporting Microsoft products in business environments can be permanently damaging to the psyche :?

I am not going back to Raspbian because I could not get gphoto2 working in Raspbian... I spent almost 2 weeks on it and made no progress. Like I mentioned, the issues I was having seemed to not only be gphoto2, but were possibly a combination of my camera and the USB drivers in Raspbian... My camera is an aging Nikon D70s which uses a USBv1.0 interface... I had seen many other posts spanning over 2 years regarding the D70s and I/O problems in gphoto2... and none of them had ever been resolved... so I figured that if those issues hadn't been resolved in over 2 years, what luck did I have of fixing them?

So... instead of getting more frustrated and spinning my wheels... I moved on to something I hadn't tried yet, ARCH. And I am happy to say that I have come a long way with Arch in the week since I first booted it up.

Thanks to a few helpful people here who pointed me to some good instructional websites, I was able to get Arch up and going and get the basic packages installed and even have gphoto2 running faster and more smoothly than on any of the other distros I've tried yet. I also got a nice fast GUI installed and working with all the apps I'll need to make my project work.

At this point I am almost ready to try a test shoot with the camera... using the Pi as a time lapse controller in headless mode... remote controlled over a WiFi connection using VNC... and transferring the pictures from the camera, to the Pi, and to my laptop for processing.

The next phase will be for me to start learning Python or maybe even some Java and then use the stepper motor control board I have and custom build a motion control unit that will let me pan, tilt, and slide the camera while shooting time lapse movies.

AndrewS

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 am

Glad to hear you managed to get over your frustrations, didn't give up, and progressed onto a working system :-)

Just like I mentioned in my previous post, there's not "one version" of Raspbian, but several versions, so if you'd previously tried an older version unsuccessfully, it may be worth trying again with a newer version of Raspbian http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
(but obviously it'd be best to do this on a different SD card to your "known working" Arch SD card)

Also, problems with the USB drivers on RaspberryPi can sometimes be fixed with a newer version of the Linux kernel, which you can install (at least on Raspbian, dunno about other distros) with rpi-update.

Oakham

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:25 pm

ednl wrote:Re: gphoto2, it seems like newer or non-Canon/Nikon cameras aren't widely supported; is that correct? Your story peeked my interest but I couldn't find anything for my old Olympus E520.

The issue was that gPhoto included with Raspbian Wheezy is severely out of date, in Pidora the version of is newer but the OP had stability issues,

LucidEye is now running Arch Linux Arm Distribution and hopefully posting on his latest thread may illicit a response from him:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 40#p409742

LucidEye

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Oakham... is there any way to somehow merge the threads? My bad for splitting this into 2 threads :-P
I would like to post my progress and other info I've learned.

Oakham

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:13 pm

LucidEye wrote:Oakham... is there any way to somehow merge the threads? My bad for splitting this into 2 threads :-P
I would like to post my progress and other info I've learned.
I believe you would need to discuss with a Moderator in a PM, try Abishur

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/membe ... file&u=277

LucidEye

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:54 pm

ednl,

I did not see any reference to your Olympus E520 in the supported camera list on the gphoto site here....
http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

Or here on the known cameras supported under Linux systems....
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

However that doesn't necessarily mean your camera will not work... many camera drivers are very similar and they are always adding new camera drivers all the time... keep in mind though that newer cameras and more popular cameras receive priority for driver development, so if your camera is older and not a camera that had a lot of units sold, it's likely you won't see specific support for it for a long time...or ever.

Here's a few tips I learned...

First make sure you camera is in PTP mode and not USB Mass Storage mode... some cameras also have PictBridge mode which is not quite the same as PTP mode... more on those differences here...
http://www.pctechguide.com/digital-came ... ge-and-ptp

If you are trying to control your camera in USB tethered mode through a Desktop Environment using a GUI application, first check to see if your camera or it's card is being mounted as removable media by opening your file manager. If you see your camera or it's card mounted there, unmount it, or try connecting the camera with it's card removed. Then try the GUI app again and see if you have camera control. There is a problem in gphoto2 and the USB drivers where basically you can not have a device or volume "double mounted"... in other words, if the camera or it's card is mounted as a removable storage volume than you can not also mount the camera as a remote controlled device simultaneously.
I believe the same holds true for when you are running in tethered mode and running gphoto2 directly from the command prompt... which is actually more reliable than trying to use a GUI frontend app to gphoto2 as there don't seem to be many well written or full-featured apps for gphoto2 except for Darktable and some GIMP plugins... neither of which will run very fast on a Pi ;-) It is better to run gphoto2 from the command line using direct commands or writing your own scripts to perform more complex tasks once you are sure you have unmounted your camera as removable storage... in my case I have found that when using the CLI it's better to connect the camera with the card removed so that it doesn't try to mount it as removable storage.... here's some examples of what you can do with custom scripts in gphoto2...
http://blog.dcclark.net/2012/04/automat ... -with.html

If you still can not get your camera working in USB tethered mode... there is a workaround if you just want the Pi to fire your shutter as an intervalometer for instance, and let the camera internally control the exposure, ISO, and f-stop.
You can use the GPIO header to control a relay unit that you can connect to your camera's remote shutter release port rather than trying to connect to the camera's USB port. This means you will have to do some custom building/modification of a shutter release cable and buy or build a relay interface for the GPIO header and write your own program to control it, but you can do quite a bit with that... fire the shutter in specified intervals, and hold the exposure open for specified intervals... which actually is limited in tethered mode on most cameras to only 30 seconds... so using the GPIO shutter release you could hold the shutter open indefinitely.

Hope this helped :-)

AndrewS

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Maybe Pidora isn't as dead as we thought... after 2 months there's actually been an update on one of my bug reports!
http://trac.proximity.on.ca/projects/rpfr/ticket/371

Still not that promising, but better than nothing ;)

Joe Schmoe

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

AndrewS wrote:Maybe Pidora isn't as dead as we thought... after 2 months there's actually been an update on one of my bug reports!
http://trac.proximity.on.ca/projects/rpfr/ticket/371

Still not that promising, but better than nothing ;)
Curiously, just last night, my Pi running Pidora crashed and burned after about 2 months of uptime - for no apparent reason. The SD card, with Pidora installed via NOOBS, was corrupted and could not be rebooted (NOOBS seemed OK, but Pidora not so). When I switched back to my previous Raspbian distro, everything was fine - with exactly the same hardware config (power supply, WiFi, etc) - so it is clearly software not hardware.

Anyway, like the OP, I've given up on Pidora. It's just not quite ready...

P.S. Further evidence that the SD card was corrupted: Running Raspbian, there were a few files I needed to get from the Pidora card, so I mounted /dev/sda6 - it worked sorta. After several retried, mounting/unmounting it, and lots of error messages, I was able to eventually get my files. But obviously, not healthy.

Anyway, just one more field report, filed on time and with the proper authorities...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Oakham

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 am

Unfortunate that Fedora can not be ported successfully, and it just another in long line of unfinished projects

BSD, Slitaz, Slackware, Puppy etal, but at least PiCore is still developed..............

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”