klricks

Pidora is now on the official download page

Wed May 29, 2013 1:16 pm

Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

simplesi

Re: Pidora is now on the official download page

Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Any great advantages to be had into using it over Raspbian or it is just different?

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm

simplesi wrote:Any great advantages to be had into using it over Raspbian or it is just different?

Simon
Just different.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

piglet

Wed May 29, 2013 2:53 pm

It would be good to have an idea of the pros and cons for those of us who don't know our 'nix distros (hopefully avoiding a flame-war in the process).

The difference between a black 10mm spanner and a silver 10mm spanner makes no odds in being able to undo a 10mm bolt.

However there are differences between things that are significant. For example American and English. As has been observed before, Americans say "Tomaytow" and "Aloominum" while the English say "Please" and "Thank you".

gritz

Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am

A few Pidora-specific tidbits here:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/23/fedora ... pberry-pi/
Chris Tyler wrote:Pidora contains a number of Raspberry Pi-specific Python modules and native libraries, such as WiringPi, bcm2835, and python-rpi.gpio. The kernel is also compiled to expose the Raspberry Pi interfaces such as I2C, SPI, serial, and GPIO, and several of these can be accessed with /sys file interfaces (even from bash) without using any special libraries or modules. In addition, Pidora contains Raspberry Pi-specific utilities and libraries for access to the Broadcom Videocore IV GPU.
Nice to see a dedicated Pidora homepage, but it still imo rather reliant on the opaque and spartan wiki. Hopefully a few real-world, pragmatic users (who expect stuff to just work) will help push a bit of evolution regarding human - readable documentation and other communication, bug tracking and handling and general "customer service" stuff. Not much point spending all that time and money building something and then keeping it so "exclusive":

http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php ... forms.html

msmithy12

Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 pm

by piglet
Americans say "Tomaytow" and "Aloominum" while the English say "Please" and "Thank you"
Should be on a t-shirt in the SWAG STORE :lol:
I assume I know what I`m talking about... I probably don`t

Home: 256mb Made in UK, Rasbmc, 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40v3000
Work: 2b+, Rasbian, 6" Lilliput touchscreen

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”