pilotguy

file is corrupt

Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 pm

After I unzip the folder with the .img file, it says it's corrupt. Iv'e tried many times and many different files. It never works for me.
512 mb Model B Rev 2, 16Gb class 6 SD card. Raspbian 2013-05-25.
Power mac G4 1.25 Ghz
Lenovo G505
Macbook4,1
HP desktop running Ubuntu

topguy

Re: file is corrupt

Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Maybe you should mention which operating system you have this problem on, exactly which file you are talking about and which "unzip" program you are using. (and if you have tried other programs).

sprinkmeier

Tue May 14, 2013 12:02 am

Does it claim that the zipfile is corrupt or the image?

Either way, did you check the zipfile checksum?

pilotguy

Fri May 17, 2013 1:57 pm

topguy wrote:Maybe you should mention which operating system you have this problem on, exactly which file you are talking about and which "unzip" program you are using. (and if you have tried other programs).
I'm using 64 bit window 7 and the built-in unzip program.
Power mac G4 1.25 Ghz
Lenovo G505
Macbook4,1

tedsluis

Sat May 18, 2013 6:53 am

You give very little information to help you. Can you clarify what exactly you want to do, please? What steps did you take? At what point do you get the error message? And what is the error?

I assume that you have downloaded this file:
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... -final.zip
Am I right?

In side this zip file there are two other files. One is the image file ("rpfr-f18-final.img") and the other is a text file that contains a checksum ("rpfr-f18-final.img.md5sum"):

Code: Select all

8199fbdbc313155ef4c447dd5b35b4f8  rpfr-f18-final.img
This checksum is used to check if the download was completed successfully.
To extract these two files from the zip file you should (in Windows 7) do a right-click on the file and then select "extract all". Now open the sub folder and then you will find the two files.

Now you need a Windows program that can calculate a md5 checksum for you. Use Google to find one. You could use WinMD5Sum. Ones you have installed and launched such a program, you should browse to the "rpfr-f18-final.img" file and calculate the checksum. If your download was successfull, this checksum should be equal to the checksum in the "rpfr-f18-final.img.md5sum" textfile.

If you enter this point without errors and with the correct checksum you are ready for the next stage: Putting the "rpfr-f18-final.img" image on to the SD card.

There are a few methods to copy the image to the card:
- Fedora Arm Installer for Raspberry Pi: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer
- Win32 Disk Imager: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
- Manual method from a linux system using "dd if=": http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.p ... stallation

Personally, I use the last method, but of course that is only possible if you have access to an other Linux system.
A few people in this forum have reported problems with the "Fedora Arm Installer". You could run into the problem that you can not select the SD card (the drop down menu where you can select the drive stays grayed out). They mention the "Win32 Disk Imager" method as a solution. I've never tried that.

I hope this is helpful to you.
--- If you cannot divide then you cannot multiply. ---

pilotguy

Sat May 18, 2013 8:16 pm

tedsluis wrote:You give very little information to help you. Can you clarify what exactly you want to do, please? What steps did you take? At what point do you get the error message? And what is the error?

I assume that you have downloaded this file:
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... -final.zip
Am I right?
Yeah, I used that link.
Power mac G4 1.25 Ghz
Lenovo G505
Macbook4,1

tedsluis

Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 am

pilotguy wrote:After I unzip the folder with the .img file, it says it's corrupt. Iv'e tried many times and many different files. It never works for me.
That image file is not corrupt. I checked that. Probably your problem is due to something else.
tedsluis wrote:In side this zip file there are two other files. One is the image file ("rpfr-f18-final.img") and the other is a text file that contains a checksum ("rpfr-f18-final.img.md5sum"):

To extract these two files from the zip file you should (in Windows 7) do a right-click on the file and then select "extract all". Now open the sub folder and then you will find the two files.

Now you need a Windows program that can calculate a md5 checksum for you. Use Google to find one. You could use WinMD5Sum. Ones you have installed and launched such a program, you should browse to the "rpfr-f18-final.img" file and calculate the checksum. If your download was successfull, this checksum should be equal to the checksum in the "rpfr-f18-final.img.md5sum" textfile.

If you enter this point without errors and with the correct checksum you are ready for the next stage: Putting the "rpfr-f18-final.img" image on to the SD card.
Did you follow any of my instructions? How did that happen?
Can you clearly describe what you do exactly? Step by step. What error message you get exactly?
--- If you cannot divide then you cannot multiply. ---

pilotguy

Mon May 20, 2013 5:53 pm

tedsluis wrote:
pilotguy wrote:After I unzip the folder with the .img file, it says it's corrupt. Iv'e tried many times and many different files. It never works for me.
That image file is not corrupt. I checked that. Probably your problem is due to something else.
tedsluis wrote:In side this zip file there are two other files. One is the image file ("rpfr-f18-final.img") and the other is a text file that contains a checksum ("rpfr-f18-final.img.md5sum"):

Did you follow any of my instructions? How did that happen?
Can you clearly describe what you do exactly? Step by step. What error message you get exactly?
I'll try this.
Power mac G4 1.25 Ghz
Lenovo G505
Macbook4,1

pilotguy

Fri May 24, 2013 11:50 pm

UPDATE: Tried unzipping it on my mac and it worked! No corruption!
Power mac G4 1.25 Ghz
Lenovo G505
Macbook4,1

g1naveen

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 am

Hello.,
I have encountered the same issue previously just like you did.

Try this:

Goto http://7-zip.org/
Download the 32 or 64bit application as you need and install it.
Run the application and navigate to the zip file and click extract.
Choose location to extract. THIS TIME IT SHOULD EXTRACT WITHOUT ANY ERRORS.
Then use win32diskimager to burn it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
naveen.

topguy

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm

This thread is 4 years old. I'm pretty sure he has fixed it or given up by now.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”