jtaylor13

Fedora installer does NOT work!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Got raspberry pi today spent 3 hours watching the installer only erase or verify then nothing.
Anyone wanna buy mine.Done with this it fails.

bredman

Re: Fedora installer does NOT work!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 pm

The Fedora Remix is definitely not recommended for newcomers, a lot of work is needed on Fedora.

Why are you not using one of the recommended distributions on www.raspberrypi.org/downloads ?

jtaylor13

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:17 pm

fedora installer fails. raspberry software will not recognize wireless keyboard returning it.

bredman

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm

It is not clear why you need Fedora on the RPi, almost everybody else uses Raspbian or Arch.

The only people using Fedora are those who want to fix the problems in Fedora. It is not suitable for general use at this time. You will have similar problems if you use any other unsupported release such as Ubuntu or Android on the RPi. These are only for people who are willing to put in a serious amount of effort.

zardoz99

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm

bredman wrote:It is not clear why you need Fedora on the RPi, almost everybody else uses Raspbian or Arch.

The only people using Fedora are those who want to fix the problems in Fedora. It is not suitable for general use at this time. You will have similar problems if you use any other unsupported release such as Ubuntu or Android on the RPi. These are only for people who are willing to put in a serious amount of effort.
Please don't dismiss Fedora quite so quickly... If based on the images from http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/vault/ as a starting point, Fedora17 works just fine on the Raspi. The kernel being used here is the standard one from rpi-update. "Yum" works as expected and it's regularly updated.

Granted that it is less of an "out of the box" experience and does require some effort, there are lots of good reasons for using Fedora17, not the least of which is that if you are from a RedHat background, it's extremely familiar.

Regards,
Z.

jtaylor13

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Put Raspbian on the sd card. Unit does not reconize windows wireless keyboard.So not useful to me.Not buying a new keyboard. I put berrybuddy on and it found keyboard.After reboot no keyboard.So i will prob just return mine or sell it.Thanks for the help.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:43 am

As long as you are using the very latest distribution, that is then almost certainly a keyboard that draws too much power from the USB ports - if you have one try a powered USB hubs in between Raspi and keyboard. If not, and you don't want to spend a few pounds on a wired USB keyboard, the board is yours to sell on as you see fit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

shawjo

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:01 am

jtaylor13 wrote:Put Raspbian on the sd card. Unit does not reconize windows wireless keyboard.So not useful to me.Not buying a new keyboard. I put berrybuddy on and it found keyboard.After reboot no keyboard.So i will prob just return mine or sell it.Thanks for the help.
I am interested in yours if you are selling. PM me as I can't yet.

-shawjo

spacehopper

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm with Zardoz on this one. Coming from a RedHat background I much prefer the YUM/RPM package management tools to the APT variety used by Debian etc. I would struggle (in fact I have struggled with Debian in the past) and decided to bypass the rasbian offering.

I've not had any problems that can be put down to software but my 32GB SD card has given me a modicum of grief and I'm thinking of downsizing to 16GB as reports seem to indicate fewer problems that way.

Spacehopper

agreene

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Hey fellow fedora users we are working hard to deal with these types of bugs. I am posting this reply to remind users to file issue tickets here:

http://trac.proximity.on.ca/projects/rpfr/wiki

jediob1

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 am

try manually installing this on the sd card:
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... fce-r2.zip

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”