cursor

raspberrypi-kernel-devel

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:30 pm

I am playing around with Asterisk on my rpi and I wanted to try using a USB FXO adapter so I can connect two pstn lines. The problem I am having is that no linux distribution I have tested so far has a proper kernel development package.

On a regular distro like CentOS or Fedora I just need to install kernel-devel in order to compile the modules I need but the fedora remix does not have a raspberrypi-kernel-devel package. Raspbian has the same problem. Why is it not possible to have a -devel package for the current kernel?

jecxjo

Re: raspberrypi-kernel-devel

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:43 pm

If you want to compile a kernel for the Pi your best bet is to just download the source directly from the git repos.

http://elinux.org/Rpi_kernel_compilation has all the info on how to pull the source and compile it.
xmpp: [email protected]
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

cursor

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 pm

I do not really need to compile a new kernel, I just need the kernel development package so I can compile the modules for the adapter I need. I do not like compiling my own kernel because it complicates future updates to the system.

jecxjo

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Depending on your distro /proc/config or /proc/config.gz might exist that would ease you into compiling the kernel. When you build the modules you'll need to build against a kernel tree. The -devel packages are exactly that code you'd pull for building the kernel. If the modules are in the main tree you'll need to edit the config (make menuconfig) and enable the module. Then when you build the modules you should be good to go. Most likely you won't need to actually run this kernel, just load the modules.
xmpp: [email protected]
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

Aiiar

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:03 am

Dear sir,,

am looking for the same solution to connect the pi with USBfxo

Did you find a solution

please help me

I need this :(

remsnet

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 am

cursor wrote:I do not really need to compile a new kernel, I just need the kernel development package so I can compile the modules for the adapter I need. I do not like compiling my own kernel because it complicates future updates to the system.
PI / SoC CPU based been not x86, thus it has no own Bios i.e.
Distibution stages seen for FC , Debian and SuSe may not the same as on x86.

Add an not compiled kernel Module on PI´s may currently NOT work without recompile your current kernel.This sencente happend on near every linux distro running on rasperry PI.

kernel recompile take 6-48h almost , depend on how mutch drivers chosen..
See the elinux.org instruktions given

have fun ..

Pi´s are cool.

agreene

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm

We have just updated the kernel for the rpfr-f18 image from 3.2.27 to 3.6.11 the package should now be available if you do a yum update.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”