marakalastic

Is Pidora on the Raspberry Pi B+ dead?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a new batch of Raspberry Pi B+ that my Pidora image will not boot on, the green LED does not flash once on this new batch. A major difference I noticed between the B+'s I had already used vs. the new batch was the change in RAM chip from Micron to Elpida. I've even tried a fresh Pidora image downloaded from their website, the results remain the same.

Has anyone else gotten a workaround for this issue? Or will Pidora no longer work on the Raspberry Pi B+ from here on out?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Is Pidora on the Raspberry Pi B+ dead?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:33 pm

marakalastic wrote:Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a new batch of Raspberry Pi B+ that my Pidora image will not boot on, the green LED does not flash once on this new batch. A major difference I noticed between the B+'s I had already used vs. the new batch was the change in RAM chip from Micron to Elpida. I've even tried a fresh Pidora image downloaded from their website, the results remain the same.

Has anyone else gotten a workaround for this issue? Or will Pidora no longer work on the Raspberry Pi B+ from here on out?
Would appear development stopped 2 years ago, which is a shame, maybe try:

https://pignus.computer/index.html
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

gregeric

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 pm

As a workaround you might try copying new firmware to your /boot partition (make a backup first). Keep your current kernel, but take bootcode.bin, start_elf.bin etc from: https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware/tree/debian/boot

marakalastic

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:42 pm

gregeric wrote:As a workaround you might try copying new firmware to your /boot partition (make a backup first). Keep your current kernel, but take bootcode.bin, start_elf.bin etc from: https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware/tree/debian/boot
Just tried keeping the kernel.img's, grub folder, and lost+found folder and replaced bootcode.bin, start_elf, start_x.elf, fixup.dat, etc... to no avail. The card won't be able to be read (green LED stays on) if I make these changes.

Looks like Pignus is the way to go. I'm surprised more people have no reported this issue with the original B+.

marakalastic

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
marakalastic wrote:Hey guys,

Would appear development stopped 2 years ago, which is a shame, maybe try:

https://pignus.computer/index.html
Just tried Pignus, it ONLY works on the old B+'s I have with the Micron RAM chip and I am able to log in successfully. The Pi B+'s from the new batch I received with the Elpida RAM chip fail to detect an ethernet connection on boot so it hangs mid-boot. Seems this issue is more on the Raspberry Pi Foundation's decision to switch RAM chips.

Gavinmc42

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:47 am

I just got the Zero version working.
Can login with Windows via USB serial.
Can ping it in Linux Mint.
Have not tried on a B+ as I was looking for a Zero specific OS.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”