Bad Wolf

Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix RC 1 & RC2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:43 pm

The latest images from Seneca this week , Yes there are two! :o

Note we are now at Release Candidate stage ! :D

Seneca are trying hard to really improve its speed along with its "user-friendliness"
Links below:

Release Candidate 1
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... ce-RC1.zip

Release Candidate 2
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... ce-RC2.zip
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

lingon

Re: Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix RC 1 & RC2

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:06 am

I installed http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... ce-RC2.zip
During the first boot configuration I chose to boot by default to a command line to save RAM and only start X11 when needed. The image booted fine, but when I tried to start X11 I got an error message in a small window saying that Gnome is not installed! The X11 start process was terminated once I acknowledged the error message. At the moment I don't have a workaround for this problem, but obviously it should be fixed in the final release.

I encourage more people to try out these images and test them to get rid of bugs to have a better Fedora available on the Raspberry Pi.

grunty

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 pm

lingon wrote:I installed http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... ce-RC2.zip
During the first boot configuration I chose to boot by default to a command line to save RAM and only start X11 when needed. The image booted fine, but when I tried to start X11 I got an error message in a small window saying that Gnome is not installed! The X11 start process was terminated once I acknowledged the error message. At the moment I don't have a workaround for this problem, but obviously it should be fixed in the final release.

I encourage more people to try out these images and test them to get rid of bugs to have a better Fedora available on the Raspberry Pi.

Hi lingon - What command are you running to "start X11" ? Have you tried running xfce:-

Code: Select all

startxfce4
I believe xfce is the default desktop.

GoinEasy9

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:13 am

My first attempt with rpfr-17-xfce-RC2.zip died during resizing the root partition. It seemed to install ok, but died during, what I presume to be, first boot. I'll try again over the weekend. I've been using Patriot LX Series 32 Gb SD cards. They've been working well with Raspian. The install program might be miscalculating the size of the, yet to be created, root partition.

lingon

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:59 am

grunty wrote:
Hi lingon - What command are you running to "start X11" ? Have you tried running xfce:-

Code: Select all

startxfce4
I believe xfce is the default desktop.
OK, thanks for the tip! When I used startx, then I got the message 'Failed to load session "gnome"'
and then just the button "LogOut". When I used startxfce4, then X11 started the XFCE desktop without any problems. For some reason the RPM gnome-session is installed, but I doubt that it is needed for anything useful.

The kernel on this image is very old, so I tried updating to the most recent kernel with tool by Hexxeh.
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
Initially this failed because there was some OMAP-related files in the /boot partition using unnecessary space. Once i cleaned up those files
initramfs-3.5.2-3.fc17.armv7l.omap.img
System.map-3.5.2-3.fc17.armv7l.omap
vmlinuz-3.5.2-3.fc17.armv7l.omap
there was enough free space on the /boot partition and rpi-update passed without error messages. The system seems to work fine with the latest firmware and kernel. SSH is enabled by the default, which is nice for remote access. I also installed LXDE and was able to start it by running lxdm as root.

cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora remix release 17 (Raspberrypi Fedora Remix)
uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #114 PREEMPT Tue Sep 4 00:15:33 BST 2012 armv6l armv6l armv6l GNU/Linux

I'm using a 4 GB SD-card and the used space is as follows:
df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 3.8G 2.3G 1.4G 64% /
/dev/root 3.8G 2.3G 1.4G 64% /
devtmpfs 117M 0 117M 0% /dev
tmpfs 117M 0 117M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 117M 820K 116M 1% /run
tmpfs 117M 0 117M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 117M 0 117M 0% /media
/dev/mmcblk0p1 51M 34M 18M 66% /boot

The Fedora image should be shipped with a recent kernel by default and unneeded files and packages should be removed.

williamssimonp

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 am

I've been attempting to boot RC2 on a headless Pi. The boot process appears to go okay as far as I can see, at least sshd is running, but it will not accept the root password.

I had the Fedora 14 Remix running this way with no problem at all. It accepted the root password via SSH on first boot and then I installed xinetd and vnc-server and had remote GUI login within hours!

Any ideas anyone? Has root login via SSH been disabled in this image? Has the root password been changed? I have spent hours searching the internet and no-one else seems to be finding this problem. I can't believe I am the only person attempting a headless first boot!

grunty

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 am

Hi, you'll probably need to connect the Pi up to a monitor / TV for the initial boot. This will take you through the graphical setup in which you set your root password.

I'm also running headless, but I did find that getting a remote GUI going via Putty/Xming on Windows was fairly straight forward.

williamssimonp

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 pm

I didn't have to use a monitor and keyboard to set up the Fedora 14 Remix and that was supposed to be the unstable one!!! I generally only use laptops at home. My servers all run headless (although I did have attach a keyboard and monitor to install CentOS in the first place, that was years ago!) and so I don't have any USB keyboards lying around! I have a Bluetooth one I use with my tablet and an old PS/2 style one in the cupboard, but nothing with a USB plug! Looks like I either buy a keyboard, stick with Fedora 14 or move to Raspian, but I prefer Fedora to Debian and I don't want to use an OS distro that is broken!

grunty

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:24 am

The need for the user to run through the graphical installer really does detract from the user-friendliness. I too have found it fairly cumbersome and time consuming to have to run the Pi through my TV each time I re-image my SD card.

Bad Wolf, do you know if there are plans to remove the graphical installer and provide a default user/password as is the case with the official Raspbian images?

grunty

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 am

Hi Bad Wolf,

In addition, it would be good to fix the X11 configs to stop referring to gnome.

What's the best forum for providing feedback on these Fedora remixes?

GoinEasy9

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:22 am

I watch for news on new releases by being subscribed to the fedora-devel mailing list, link here:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

On Freenode IRC, you can talk to the developers directly in the #fedora-arm room.

Notices for their weekly meetings are announced on the fedora-devel mailing list, and, are held in one of the #fedora-meeting rooms, also on Freenode.

I'm running Fedora 17 on my main desktop, and, would love to have my Pi running Fedora also. I still haven't been able to install it successfully. An img file would be a time saver.

Tom

williamssimonp

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:28 am

Well, I bit the bullet and hauled the Pi into the bedroom so I wouldn't disturb she who must be obeyed's TV watching and made two important discoveries, both good news. First, the Pi detected and used a wireless keyboard/mouse at first boot without batting an eyelid. Second, doing the first boot with keyboard and HDMI TV attached worked like a dream. I had a remote VNC GUI login available within an hour of doing it. I had spent two nights trying to do the same thing on Raspian and had given up. It was simple in Fedora! I have no idea why the two distros should be so different, I used the same procedure in both and all the config files and executables that I needed were there in both (after installing the relevant packages), but on Fedora it works, on Raspian it doesn't. I must admit that I generally prefer Fedora/RedHat/CentOS to other distros, but that is probably down to familiarity. I was using 'Fedora' when it was RedHat Linux and have been using Fedora or CentOS since. I flirted briefly with Debian on a laptop a few years ago, it just felt wrong, so I installed Fedora instead.

The Fedora 17 remix does feel more solid than the Fedora 14 one, although I never did suffer with the problems others seem to have had. It is also noticably quicker. It would be nice to see the headless first boot problem solved though.

One minor niggle that I am sure not many people will come across. I tried to install freeipa-server this morning, an insane idea about seeing if a Pi can run a small (four user) domain for home use! Probably a non-starter due to memory constraints, but you only learn by trying. Yum failed with version dependency issues on three PKI packages. I haven't had a chance to investigate properly yet, but I'm sure I can source the RPMs from somewhere, if not I can build them myself. Just getting lazy in my old age!

goeran

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 pm

About running headless: I get the impression that the default root password is changed. I edited /etc/shadow on the card, changing the hash for root. After that, I could log in via SSH again. The logs also indicated that I had used the wrong password on the first attempts.

I filed a bug report about it.

jch

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:57 am

I'm having trouble downloading either RC1 or RC2 at all.

I can fetch the zip files with wget but both report that they are corrupt. The MD5 checksum extracts OK but the image itself fails with a CRC failure.

Something is going badly wrong: even the older gzip'd images have similar problems. Is there an alternative download site? If I could compare what I have with something that is known to be correct I might be able to find out what is going on.

I'm inclined to think it's me doing something wrong because I know people have successfully downloaded these files but nothing works for me.

faheem

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:03 am

jch wrote:I'm having trouble downloading either RC1 or RC2 at all.

I can fetch the zip files with wget but both report that they are corrupt. The MD5 checksum extracts OK but the image itself fails with a CRC failure.

Something is going badly wrong: even the older gzip'd images have similar problems. Is there an alternative download site? If I could compare what I have with something that is known to be correct I might be able to find out what is going on.

I'm inclined to think it's me doing something wrong because I know people have successfully downloaded these files but nothing works for me.
It seems I'm also having the same problem. I tried to fetch the RC2 file and it is reporting the file to be corrupted. Anyone knows the problem and preferably a solution to this?

rogjosh

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I found the same problem. The files on the following mirror site seem OK though.
The image file unzips with the given md5sum. I can't try it out as my Pi doesn't
arrive for another 5 weeks.

http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu+linux/ras ... 17/latest/

jtaylor13

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Anyone want to buy mine.got it yesterday.not willing to waste more time just trying to get the software.contact me I work out details with you.good luck to the rest.

jch

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm

It couldn't be easier to install raspbian ... It's only Fedora that's causing trouble.

jtaylor13

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 pm

raspbian will not recognize wireless keyboard.Not going out and buying a new keyboard.

jtaylor13

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Tried the new download.It only erases and then says complete.

execute:C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\windows-latest\data\dd.exe if=/dev/ze
ro of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0 bs=65536 count=1 --progress 2>&1 | C:\User
s\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\windows-latest\fedora-arm-installer.exe "line" | C:\
Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\windows-latest\fedora-arm-installer.exe "slow"
execute:C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\windows-latest\data\dd.exe if=C:\User
s\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\rpfr-17-xfce-RC2.zip of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partiti
on0 bs=65536 seek=1 skip=1 --progress 2>&1 | C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\
windows-latest\fedora-arm-installer.exe "line" | C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry
-pi\windows-latest\fedora-arm-installer.exe "slow"
execute:C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\windows-latest\data\dd.exe if=C:\User
s\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\rpfr-17-xfce-RC2.zip of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partiti
on0 bs=65536 count=1 --progress 2>&1 | C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\window
s-latest\fedora-arm-installer.exe "line" | C:\Users\James\Desktop\rasperry-pi\wi
ndows-latest\fedora-arm-installer.exe "slow"

jch

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, that's the problem that you see because the download is corrupt. If you pull down the zip file and look at it you'll see it's corrupt.

Even if it did work, the chances of the relatively old F17 kernel working with your wireless keyboard when the raspbian kernel does not is slim.

It's possible, I guess, that the wireless dongle is drawing more power than the USB socket can provide and it might work if you use a powered USB hub. I have to say I've not come across any kind of wireless keyboard that doesn't work with Linux: a bluetooth keyboard might not work straight away though because it won't be paired with something that hasn't been installed yet. It's probably worth trying one of the other distros on the main download page, but if it's a power thing or a weird keyboard it's not going to make any difference.

I'm still hoping that someone will sort out the F17 release candidate server because all the various images I've looked at are corrupt, not just RC2.

jtaylor13

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:04 pm

I installed Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer if recognizes the keyboard.
When it formats the card and reboots.No more keyboard.

Bad Wolf

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 am

For those having problems with downloading rpfr-17-xfce-RC2.zip the file has been reposted on the Seneca sever today (11/10/2012)
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... ce-RC2.zip
I have downloaded it and tested the image file on a Pi myself without any problems, so it should be good to go again.
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

jch

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 am

Thank you very much.

Only one small problem: the embedded md5sum file is for RC1. The old corrupt one had a working md5sum file though and that matches rpfr-17-xfce-RC2.img.

c1d6855c69212f452b6bbd82718f7d9d rpfr-17-xfce-RC2.img

thanks agin

borticus

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 am

For those who have been asking, the new root password for Fedora remix seems to be: raspberrypi. I hope this helps. I had a hard time finding it.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”