Phantom-Studio
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi all,

As anyone tried installing Fedora 23 ARM (server or minimal) on the new Raspberry Pi 3?
I've tried using this method :

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Everything went fine but I had no luck at boot time...
It would be great to have some feedbacks!

Have a good day.
Regards.

Jonathan

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 18199
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Phantom-Studio wrote:Hi all,

As anyone tried installing Fedora 23 ARM (server or minimal) on the new Raspberry Pi 3?
I've tried using this method :

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Everything went fine but I had no luck at boot time...
It would be great to have some feedbacks!

Have a good day.
Regards.

Jonathan
Someone posting on Pi kernel github has been producing a Fedora 23 version, it's mostly there apparently, but may be some WIfi binary blob licencing to sort out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Phantom-Studio
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi James,

Do you have a link or something please?
I just don't find it...

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Jonathan

mmcdonald
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Would also be interested in this. Any updates on where the link / info was?


vaughan
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:48 am

We have support for RPi 3 in our FedBerry 'test' releases. You can download them here:
http://download.fedberry.org/releases/23/images/

Regards
Vaughan

malcolmh
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks! It works just fine. What does the name "test" imply? If I do regular dnf updates, will it eventually converge with the final version?

User avatar
sadsfae
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:03 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact: Website

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:33 pm

I've put together a blog post on Fedora 23 and the Raspberry pi 3 here, hope other people find it useful:

http://hobo.house/2016/03/13/installing ... erry-pi-3/
Linux User #208453
http://hobo.house

vaughan
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:35 pm

malcolmh wrote:Thanks! It works just fine. What does the name "test" imply? If I do regular dnf updates, will it eventually converge with the final version?
'test' implies that the images were built from everything in the stable and testing repos. Yes, just keep doing your dnf updates and everything in 'testing' will eventually get pushed into the stable repository and you will end up at the same level as any subsequent 'final' / 'stable' releases.

Best Regards
Vaughan

pi-tinker
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 am

I just installed Fedora 23 on my Raspberry Pi 3 yesterday following the instructions from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi link, and it worked the very first time. This link is valid!

My guess is your fstab isn't right. Those UUIDs look like random collections of alphanumeric characters and thus are quite difficult to work with--I've replaced them with letters for clarity in my output below.

Please post your fstab and your micro SD card's blockids from your flash card.

Here's the info from my installation:


FEDORA VERSION INFORMATION:

[root@raspberrypi ~]# hostnamectl status
Static hostname: raspberrypi
Pretty hostname: pi-tinker's Raspberry Pi 3
Icon name: raspberry
Chassis: cannakit
Deployment: development
Machine ID: [REMOVED]
Boot ID: [REMOVED]
Operating System: Fedora 23 (Server Edition)
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:23
Kernel: Linux 4.1.20-v7+
Architecture: arm

[root@raspberrypi ~]# cat /etc/*release*
Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)
NAME=Fedora
VERSION="23 (Server Edition)"
ID=fedora
VERSION_ID=23
PRETTY_NAME="Fedora 23 (Server Edition)"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:23"
HOME_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Fedora"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=23
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Fedora"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=23
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL=https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy
VARIANT="Server Edition"
VARIANT_ID=server
Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)
Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)
cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:23


DISK INFORMATION:

[root@raspberrypi ~]# fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 59.7 GiB, 64034439168 bytes, 125067264 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x8f1eafaf

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 2048 264191 262144 128M b W95 FAT32
/dev/mmcblk0p2 264192 4458495 4194304 2G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/mmcblk0p3 4458496 125067263 120608768 57.5G 83 Linux

[root@raspberrypi ~]# blkid | grep /dev/mmcblk9p
/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="A" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="8f1eafaf-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="B" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="8f1eafaf-02"
/dev/mmcblk0p3: UUID="C" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="8f1eafaf-03"


FSTAB MUST MATCH DISK UUID:

[root@raspberrypi ~]# cat /etc/fstab
UUID=C / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0
UUID=A /boot vfat defaults,noatime 0 0
UUID=B swap swap defaults,noatime 0 0

Best of luck!

The Pi Tinker

trymika
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 am

Hello.I am trying too with the official instructions and i can't make partitions like mmcblkp01 or mmcblk02,but just only sdb1 or sdb2.When i finished and insert the sd card in raspberry pi 3 then i have an error "non blocking pool initiliazed".What is the problem?

Phantom-Studio
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Pi-Tinker,

And thank you for your feedback.
Finally I've successfully installed Fedora 23 Server, following the official Fedora Project wiki (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi).

I've just did 2 mistakes :
- the UUID in the fstab were wrong
- the cmdline.txt in /tmp/rpi/boot/ has not to be edited (previously I've changed "root=/dev/mmcblk0p3" for "root=/dev/sdb3", and I was wrong)

Thanks again for your help.
Regards.

Jonathan

mithunkr
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:54 am

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Sun May 08, 2016 2:03 am

Phantom-Studio wrote:
I've just did 2 mistakes :
- the UUID in the fstab were wrong
- the cmdline.txt in /tmp/rpi/boot/ has not to be edited (previously I've changed "root=/dev/mmcblk0p3" for "root=/dev/sdb3", and I was wrong)
I followed this whole post and was able to setup and boot successfully. But now stuck at a different place. I got the initial config screen, and noticed that there's no way to setup wifi yet. So I connected the ethernet cable and it showed connected. I entered a hostname as well. But when I pressed the "Done" button on the top, nothing happened. The screen isn't closing at all, and there's no error displayed (at the bottom) either. Earlier I saw an error as I didn't give the hostname, but now after entering also I'm not able to proceed.
Desperately, I closed the screen pressing the X at the top right, got the warning, and clicked Yes, as there was no other way to proceed.
After this, the booting goes ahead fine, and I'm at the login screen
Now what? :cry: Since I couldn't setup the initial password, what (default) password should I enter here to login?
Or is there a way to get to the intial config screen again? And any tips on how to get past that network config screen?

Neeraj2708
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:57 am

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 am

Hello all , I downloaded Fedora-23-remix-rpi2-minimal-1.raw.xz (from fedberry.org ) and i successfully booted it in sd card , but when i plugged ethernet cable then nothing happens , light didn't blink . If i want to install it with direct ethernet cable (i mean just like raspbian, plugin ethernet cable then login via ssh and configure pi ) without any HDMI TV , just with an ssh .Is that possible in this , fedberry ??

techsa573
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Re: Fedora 23 ARM & Raspberry Pi 3

Sun May 15, 2016 6:11 pm

mithunkr wrote:
Phantom-Studio wrote:
I've just did 2 mistakes :
- the UUID in the fstab were wrong
- the cmdline.txt in /tmp/rpi/boot/ has not to be edited (previously I've changed "root=/dev/mmcblk0p3" for "root=/dev/sdb3", and I was wrong)
I followed this whole post and was able to setup and boot successfully. But now stuck at a different place. I got the initial config screen, and noticed that there's no way to setup wifi yet. So I connected the ethernet cable and it showed connected. I entered a hostname as well. But when I pressed the "Done" button on the top, nothing happened. The screen isn't closing at all, and there's no error displayed (at the bottom) either. Earlier I saw an error as I didn't give the hostname, but now after entering also I'm not able to proceed.
Desperately, I closed the screen pressing the X at the top right, got the warning, and clicked Yes, as there was no other way to proceed.
After this, the booting goes ahead fine, and I'm at the login screen
Now what? :cry: Since I couldn't setup the initial password, what (default) password should I enter here to login?
Or is there a way to get to the intial config screen again? And any tips on how to get past that network config screen?
mithunkr,

I had the same problem with the wifi setup. I was not able to find a solution other than to wipe out the SD card, recopy the image, and redo the setup. When you boot for the first time and get to the initial setup screen, this time do NOT click into the network configuration setup. You can deal with that later after logging in for the first time. Instead, just create a password for root as well as a new user with its own password. You should be able to complete the initial configuration that way and login as the other user you created, or at least that worked for me.

Just let me know if you have any questions!

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests