Bad Wolf

RaspberryPi-Fedora-Remix-17 Test image

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:27 am

For anyone who is interested there is an official public test image of the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 17
available.
Please note that this is PRE-RELEASE software for TESTING PURPOSES and
is not recommended for routine use.

To download the latest image
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspber ... 17/latest/

There are a few bugs to sort out but that is where we can help by providing feedback!
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

ronster033

Re: RaspberryPi-Fedora-Remix-17 Test image

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 pm

i'm on it :)
Thanks, i was realy waiting for this.
The same as everyday,
Trying to take over the world with my RaspberryPI model B rev.1
Now also with RaspberryPi 2 Mobel B+ (^_^)

zardoz99

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:24 pm

What's in it? There is no indication of which kernel it's running off or what the fix level is that it's based on for the rest of the F17 ARM packages?

Z

jdbennet

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm

zardoz99 wrote:What's in it? There is no indication of which kernel it's running off or what the fix level is that it's based on for the rest of the F17 ARM packages?

Z
This page is more informative:
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/

Bad Wolf

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 pm

To answer the question of What's in it?
The test image is running the 3.1.9 kernel.
The Fedora ARM packages are the same as the Fedora f17 packages.
Except the remix-specific packages that aren't in Fedora (mostly the one that start with raspberrypi-* plus some libraries that are specific to the SOC) which are available at
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/~agreen ... /packages/

The test images has fixes to a bunch of packages for stability issues
Performance tuning is still being performed,
First boot GUI mode login problems fixed

For those who don't follow the fedora arm weekly status meetings
The f17 nightly images are no longer being updated, as the F18 Mass rebuild is in progress and using the builders at full capacity, for anyone interested in the progress of arm f18
https://twitter.com/FedoraARMStats/

flyingpengwin

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:12 am

Bad Wolf wrote:To answer the question of What's in it?
The test image is running the 3.1.9 kernel.
The Fedora ARM packages are the same as the Fedora f17 packages.
Except the remix-specific packages that aren't in Fedora (mostly the one that start with raspberrypi-* plus some libraries that are specific to the SOC) which are available at
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/~agreen ... /packages/

The test images has fixes to a bunch of packages for stability issues
Performance tuning is still being performed,
First boot GUI mode login problems fixed

For those who don't follow the fedora arm weekly status meetings
The f17 nightly images are no longer being updated, as the F18 Mass rebuild is in progress and using the builders at full capacity, for anyone interested in the progress of arm f18
https://twitter.com/FedoraARMStats/
Because f17 is no longer having nightly, does that indicate that they are about to release a final version?
or does it mean that they will be skipping a raspi arm release for f17 and will just go straight to a f18 arm release for raspi in 3(more like 4) months when f18 is released?

I seriously hate using the raspbian img...
...i miss my yum QQ

Bad Wolf

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm

One or two more test images are likely to come out before the official F17 remix is released for general consumption, Chris Tyler and his Seneca students are creating these using their own builders at Seneca with any spare builders being used for Arm F18.

The push on Arm F18 is to try to become part of the “Primary Architecture” hence having all available builders working on this, as they need to be ready before or at the same time as the mainline.

Unfortunately, the Raspberry Pi has to use the “Broadcom blob” and an older kernel so effectively this will keep it “Secondary Architecture” so no F18 with 3.5 kernel for us :(

The good news though is Seneca is also considering an experimental VFPv2 ABI based f17 rebuild for the Raspberry Pi to see how far they can push the performance of the Pi.

flyingpengwin

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:00 am

Bad Wolf wrote:One or two more test images are likely to come out before the official F17 remix is released for general consumption, Chris Tyler and his Seneca students are creating these using their own builders at Seneca with any spare builders being used for Arm F18.

The push on Arm F18 is to try to become part of the “Primary Architecture” hence having all available builders working on this, as they need to be ready before or at the same time as the mainline.

Unfortunately, the Raspberry Pi has to use the “Broadcom blob” and an older kernel so effectively this will keep it “Secondary Architecture” so no F18 with 3.5 kernel for us :(

The good news though is Seneca is also considering an experimental VFPv2 ABI based f17 rebuild for the Raspberry Pi to see how far they can push the performance of the Pi.
Ok that makes sense.
As for right now i don't even need a powerful distro. I don't even bother with a Gui 98% of the time. So an older kernel won't hurt me unless it will block programs from installing (ie. for it to become so out of date that it is no longer have support. (see: PPC))
Everyday, ATLEAST 5x a day I check the Raspi site in hopes of a post saying the new F17 Remix will be available.
I know that using a broadcom processor was necessary (because thats what eben is used too because he works for broadcom) as well as the support that broadcom has shown for the Raspi. I just wish that eben worked for a company that had more support in arm :-P

bud-pnq

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:31 am

Usable fedora's finally coming out. I've been waiting for ages. xfce looks great.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”