vaughan

Fedora 22 Remix for Pi 2B

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:47 am

Hi Everyone

I have been maintaining a fedora 22 kernel for my RPi2 for a few months now and have noticed various people asking for fedora 22 disk images for their RPi2's. Since no one has yet obliged, I thought I would provide some Fedora 22 Remix images for people to use, whilst we wait for official RPi2 support from Fedora (hopefully arriving soon after the Fedora 23 release).

Download images here: http://fedberry.agrez.net
Yum repository here: https://vaughan.fedorapeople.org/

At present I have only provided a 'minimal' & 'xfce' remix. If requested and depending on time constraints, I might provide other remix images in the future.

Please read README.pdf and INSTALL.pdf before you install and use the disk images. A big thanks to the hard working Fedora developers (particularly the arm developers) who make this remix possible. Thanks also to Clive Messer for his previous Fedora 21 Remix images and rpms provided to the community.

Regards
Vaughan

hexelpdkk

Re: Fedora 22 Remix for Pi 2B

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:55 am

Good work. Any chance of some write up on how you are creating the image - I have been trying to get F23 beta working (XFCE and Workstation) by creating a Frankenstein's monster - RPI firmware from github combined with the stock F23 arm root partition. This approach worked for XFCE/LXDE in F22, but is failing in F23.

vaughan

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:31 pm

hexelpdkk wrote:Good work. Any chance of some write up on how you are creating the image - I have been trying to get F23 beta working (XFCE and Workstation) by creating a Frankenstein's monster - RPI firmware from github combined with the stock F23 arm root partition. This approach worked for XFCE/LXDE in F22, but is failing in F23.
The remix images are created using kickstarts and Fedora's remix tools.
See here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architec ... ng_Remixes
I can upload my kickstart files if any one is interested.

I haven't yet looked at F23 beta but will be shortly......

hexelpdkk

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 am

I can upload my kickstart files if any one is interested.
Please do!

Also, how are you going about constructing and building the pi specific rpms. I scanned through the src, and the majority just package files. For the kernel, however, it is a bit more involved. Do you cross compile or native compile? Do you use mock?

Many thanks
Paul

vaughan

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:44 am

Hi Paul

Yes, most rpms are just system files / scripts or binary blobs (eg. firmware) that don't need compiling. At present the only rpms I need to compile are the kernel and raspberrypi-vc rpms.

For the moment, I just build everything natively on the RPi2. Yes, maybe if I was compiling a lot of different rpms I should be using mock, but the kernel should be a fairly clean build outside of a chroot, so as yet I haven't bothered.

I have uploaded the kickstarts for F22 to http://fedberry.agrez.net.

I have re-built my rpms for Fedora 23 beta (including updating to the latest stable 4.2.3 kernel). If all goes well, I should be build a fedora 23 beta image relatively soon.

Regards
Vaughan

vaughan

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:55 am

Hi Everyone

After several enquiries from users I have decided to enable selinux support in my kernels, which will bring it more into line with fedora defaults (default bcm2709 kernel configs do not have it enabled). An updated kernel (kernel-4.1.10-301.9e8e5dc) will hit the repo shortly with selinux support enabled. On the first boot using the updated kernel it will trigger a selinux relabel, which might take a LONG time. Be patient, you will eventually get to your login prompt :)

I will update the disk images shortly to reflect the default changes for selinux (it will be enabled by default and set to enforcing). If you don't want it enabled edit /etc/selinux/config and set it to disabled, then reboot. You can also append selinux=0 to /boot/cmdline.txt which will ever so slightly improve your boot time.

Regards
Vaughan

hexelpdkk

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi Vaughan,
I see you have an F23 minimal now, good work!

I am still interested in the process, rather than just the output, so I can try to produce the Fedora Pi specific rpms myself. I have rigged up a USB hard drive, and installed appliance-creator, so can now reproduce F22 images based on your F22 repository for the RPi specific RPMs. What is the process to create the rpms in the first place? For something like the firmware, I guess you just copy/clone rpi/firmware objects and rpmbuild. How do you produce the kernel rpm? Is the kernel source linux + fedora patches + rpi patches, or rpi source + fedora patches?

Regards,
Paul

vaughan

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:15 pm

hexelpdkk wrote:Hi Vaughan,
I see you have an F23 minimal now, good work!
Yes I uploaded it a few days ago but didn't say anything as its all a bit bleeding edge. I wanted to use it for a week or so and see how it was behaving. It uses a kernel based on the newer rpi-4.2.y branch and I not exactly sure how stable that is (seems pretty good so far).
What is the process to create the rpms in the first place? For something like the firmware, I guess you just copy/clone rpi/firmware objects and rpmbuild.
Yes, I just clone the appropriate rpi git repo and simply package it up.
How do you produce the kernel rpm? Is the kernel source linux + fedora patches + rpi patches, or rpi source + fedora patches?
For the kernel, I diff the appropriate mainline and rpi git repos and then apply the generated patch to official kernel.org sources at build time. I do it this way as all changes to kernel.org sources are then clearer and more obvious. Everyone can see exactly what has changed as compared to mainline kernel sources, just by looking at the patch. The alternative of packaging up a rpi git repo snapshot and building a kernel from it essentially obfuscates changes, as compared to the mainline kernel. If done this way, you better be able to trust the packager, as changes are not obvious, harder to find and therefore its easier for nefarious people to hide stuff. :o

I don't need / use any Fedora specific patches at present (except one which I keep forgetting to flick) as the majority of patches are simply not applicable to our bcm2709/bcm2836 boards. They are for different archs, other arm devices/quirks which are not applicable, or various other bits and pieces that are not essential. If needed (or asked) I can pull in patches when required but for the moment the resulting kernel source is essentially the rpi git branch source.

Regards
Vaughan

hexelpdkk

Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for the pointers. I have just managed to get my first F23 remix going, using LXDE and your F23 rpms. There are a few issues for me to work through still, but it boots to a GUI interface, and seems to be basically working. I ran with the text mode initial setup, because it is tricky to use the graphical setup on a Raspberry Pi touchscreen when the buttons have fallen off the top and bottom of the screen!

I also have a few things to "explore" with appliance-creator - in particular, how it expands ${release} in the kickstart. I had expected it to use the command line value, but it chose 22 as the version each time. Easily worked around by manually configuring the kickstart, but I felt I shouldn't have to.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Cheers
Paul

vaughan

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:50 am

Thanks for the pointers. I have just managed to get my first F23 remix going, using LXDE and your F23 rpms. There are a few issues for me to work through still, but it boots to a GUI interface, and seems to be basically working. I ran with the text mode initial setup, because it is tricky to use the graphical setup on a Raspberry Pi touchscreen when the buttons have fallen off the top and bottom of the screen!
Good work! I haven't tried building a LXDE in F23 yet. I wasn't really happy with it under F22 as from memory it felt 'un-finshed/polished', so I stuck with xfce as my DE under the RPi2. I'm hoping LXQt will be a viable option in the future, but last time I tried it out I felt it is was not yet ready. Too immature and too many bugs which end up annoying me. :(
I also have a few things to "explore" with appliance-creator - in particular, how it expands ${release} in the kickstart. I had expected it to use the command line value, but it chose 22 as the version each time. Easily worked around by manually configuring the kickstart, but I felt I shouldn't have to.
I haven't noticed this behaviour (yet). Are you building the image under F22 or F23? Its good to know you can override this behaviour in the kickstart (thanks for the pointer). ;)

There's another little bug I found. When I specify 'noatime' to be appended only the rootfs partition in the fstab, it appends it to all partitions (ie the boot and swap partitions as well). Doesn't seem to cause any major issues but I guess I should report this upstream at some point.

Cheers!
Vaughan

hexelpdkk

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:58 pm

vaughan wrote: Are you building the image under F22 or F23?
The host is a F22 system - guess I'll have to dig through the appliance-creator source. Also just noticed that the vc libs are in /usr/lib rather than /opt/vc - I bet the kivy installer is going to mess up with this. Might add a symlink as a workaround. Just waiting for rpmfusion to get F23 repos to try that out (kivy wants lots of gstreamer stuff installed)

I only went with LXDE because I think Raspbian is currently using it, although it looks better in Raspbian than my default install.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”