coralnut

CirrusLogic/Wolfson Audio Card on Pidora?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:59 pm

I'd like to ask if anyone has gotten the CirrusLogic (Wolfson) audio card working with Pidora on the B+.

I recently took delivery on a CirrusLogic audio card. Although CirrusLogic and Element14 advertised the card as being compatible with the Raspberry Pi 2 (which was the reason for my purchase), it turns out that the CirrusLogic Audio card is NOT compatible with the RPi 2 because CirrusLogic still has not delivered working drivers for the ARM-7 kernel. At present, the software required to run the CirrusLogic/Wolfson audio card on the Raspberry Pi 2 is nothing more than vaporware, and the hardware can't possibly work until the software problem is fixed. This is a major issue on the Element14 support site, and the community is getting no useful information out of Cirrus about the software problem. The result is a great number of disgruntled users, myself included.

My fall-back option was to install the CirrusLogic card onto something that *IS* software and hardware compatible, the Raspberry Pi B+. The ARM-6 environment for the B+ does have a working kernel + driver -- but only if you're willing to run Raspbian. So far it seems that there's nothing available for Fedora. I'd like to ask if anyone here has got the system running on Fedora / Pidora, and if so, if you'd be willing to help me out.

At this point, Cirrus only "supports" the audio card on Raspbian, though they do claim to have passed the kernel patches upstream. Can anyone tell me if a kernel/driver package available, or in the works for Pidora?

Unfortunately, Cirrus only offers two pathways for support:

First, they expect you to install a new image of their Cirrus/Raspbian distribution on your SD card. I'm not willing to abandon all of the custom system modifications that I've made to my B+, and I'd really prefer not to wipe things out and start over. It would make a lot more sense for Cirrus to distribute a kernel + driver update package, rather than expecting users to over-write their existing linux installations.

Second, they offer the option of cross-compiling a new kernel on an alien linux platform. Surprisingly, they offer NO SUPPORT for native building of a kernel in the native RPi environment, and they expect the user to be able to cross-compile the debian packages on an external linux box. Their cross-compiling instructions are exceptionally poor -- they make no consideration for the fact that a user will need to cross-compile a 32-bit system on a system that may be 64-bit only. They also make no consideration for whether the user's alien build environment might be an RPM-based distribution rather than a deb-based distribution, for the different system path locations in the different types of distributions, or for the preservation of symlinks, etc. in the system paths. In short, the Cirrus guide to cross-compiling is quite poorly written, with myopic vision limited to running 32-bit debian; it is not anywhere close to being up to it's intended task.

All this leads me to ask if anyone here can offer some tips on how to accomplish the task of building the kernel and the drivers for the Cirrus/Wolfson audio card in the native Pidora environment on a Raspberry Pi B+, or alternatively, how to succeed in cross-compiling the kernel and drivers on a 64-bit only F21 system.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”