Building deb package for the Raspberry Pi

6 posts
by booman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:17 pm

so I have received a Raspberry Pi this week and I want to use it as home server. Since I am using a Canon Printer (LBP3010) I have to install additional drivers. The driver is open source but I have difficulties building a deb package. After compiling the source code with
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-buildpackage

and installing it with
sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-capt-2.40_armel.deb

I always get an error when executing ccpd (executable file from that package)

The output of file shows, that the package is not built for the ARM architecture (at least I think so).

file /usr/sbin/ccpd
/usr/sbin/ccpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped

What am I doing wrong? Any help?
by booman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 am
I think I have found the problem. Some parts of the driver are compiled and therefore not open source. So I think there is no change of getting them to work for ARM architecture. What a pitty!
by Jensb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Sorry for my english is not very good;)

How could you compile the driver? I get error messages. What you install packages must be tested.

Did you solve the problem?

by sneeco » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:52 am
Apparently this guy has managed to compile version 1.6 on an ARM architecture. (in 2008.....)

I'm trying to build the 220 version now.
This is as far as I've come:

1. setup cups

2. download the drivers from

3. Extract the source for cndrvcups-common-2.20 and cndrvcups-capt-2.20 found in Src folder

4. install dependencies
sudo apt-get install autoconf libtool automake gtk+-2.0 ibgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev cups libcups2-dev

5. compiled and installed cndrvcups-common-2.20
by sdk-raspian » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:02 am
i am a novice with linux and building. thanks to your post (installing all the dependencies) I managed to get the cndrvcups-common-2.6 to apparently complete its build through sudo make gen but sudo make install seemed to throw up an error.
when i did this for cndrvcups-common-2.6. i manage to get the ./ in the Driver folder to run. and then it asks me to type make to compile canoncapt. then make install. and supposedly (as I know almost nothing about linux) it has installed the libraries in usr/loca/lib/. libcanoncapt has been created.
but I have no idea what to do next.
Canon printer is still showing up as missing: File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt" not available: No such file or directory

when i try to do the same sort of thing in the pstocapt directory. i seem to be succesful exectuing the ./ and then it asks me to type make. however, this one bails out at Fatal error buflist.h : nio such file. and then compilation terminated.

i see that there is a buftool in the common (cndrvcups-common-2.6. ) folder. let's see if the will make that. ok i seem to have created buftool and installed buflist.h

now i can make pstocapt. and i have moved it to the missing location. that has changed the error to sending to printer... (Processing - "Sending data to printer.")

it seems to think that the page is sent and is successfuly completed (completed at Fri Jan 2 ...). but no luck in actually printing anything. sigh

this didn't fix it either.

Any help appreciated.
by lepirlouit » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:01 pm
I also tried to compile the CAPT driver,
we need the sources for ccpd and ccpdadmin .

thesein the capt sources, canon provides the 32 and the 64 bit version of ccpd and ccpdadmin

no arm version/sourec code