User avatar
fbutler
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Is there a command that I can use to determine if BCM20702A0 based devices are supported by this release?

If they aren't currently included could they be added as per:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs ... 26193.html

Specifically I'm interested in using this device:

T: Bus=01 Lev=03 Prnt=04 Port=04 Cnt=02 Dev#= 8 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=01 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0a5c ProdID=21e8 Rev=01.12
S: Manufacturer=Broadcom Corp
S: Product=BCM20702A0
S: SerialNumber=000272D68FDB
C: #Ifs= 4 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
I: If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
I: If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)

Thanks

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:24 pm

HB wrote:I'm generally impressed with the progress made with this image. Two issues to note, though. 'Change overscan' in raspi-config didn't seem to actually do anything to the relevant line in config.txt, and the package 'usbutils' wasn't installed by default, and I think it ought to be.
raspi-config does not change the commented out lines of text, it adds new lines to the bottom of the file. Although you didn't see the extra line did the reconfiguration work? I has a little trouble with it and I wonder if anyone else has.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Sc0ut
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:12 pm

I installed in root login apt-get install icewm, but than the function startx won't function.

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Downloaded this today. On "startx" there was no raspberry wallpaper and no panels along the bottom after the first reboot. I'd not changed the pi account or config in any way.

I got the panels back by "rm -r lxpanel" from ~/.config followed by a reboot "sudo reboot" so that on restart it grabbed the default settings.

First impressions: it's a LOT faster than the squeeze build in desktop mode. Thanks

Sc0ut
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm

piglet wrote:Downloaded this today. On "startx" there was no raspberry wallpaper and no panels along the bottom after the first reboot. I'd not changed the pi account or config in any way.

I got the panels back by "rm -r lxpanel" from ~/.config followed by a reboot "sudo reboot" so that on restart it grabbed the default settings.

First impressions: it's a LOT faster than the squeeze build in desktop mode. Thanks
Which image did you download?

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Is there more than one? I used 2012_06_10_spindle_wheezy_public_alpha.img

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Nburnes wrote:Well this has been rather "unfun" for myself. I personally have kernel errors quite constantly. Doing a simple nano of an install script, not even booted into GUI.
Hopefully ya'll can read this.
Image
(Right-click open in new tab)
Do these errors occur during boot? Even if you remove all USB devices?

MotoBlue
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:11 pm

asb wrote:I've been working on preparing the next Debian image and am ready to share the results so far. We'd really appreciate your help in testing it out and helping to iron out any bugs.
I have to confess I have not got round to testing this yet but I have one small request.
Please don't leave all your log files in the image like on previous debian images.
Apologies if someone has already pointed this out.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 pm

MotoBlue wrote: I have to confess I have not got round to testing this yet but I have one small request.
Please don't leave all your log files in the image like on previous debian images.
Apologies if someone has already pointed this out.
Please do take a closer look at my image. As I state in the first post, I wrote spindle (https://github.com/asb/spindle) so completely clean images could be generated. I specifically set out to avoid those sort of problems. You will have a completely 100% fresh unbooted image.

HB
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:49 am

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

KenT wrote:Although you didn't see the extra line did the reconfiguration work? I has a little trouble with it and I wonder if anyone else has.
No; I noticed this because when I rebooted it expecting overscan to be disabled, it wasn't.

ozzmannt
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:16 am

Loaded this image yesterday and have had nothing but success from it.

Sound is working in omxplayer fine, accelerated video, the works. I got quake3 working but no sound :( Anyone else tried quake3 on it?

X seems much more usable now. My only suggestion is to give the ability to change the keymap on first boot and it would be perfect for me. Keep up the great work.

Sc0ut
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 am

ozzmannt wrote:Loaded this image yesterday and have had nothing but success from it.

Sound is working in omxplayer fine, accelerated video, the works. I got quake3 working but no sound :( Anyone else tried quake3 on it?

X seems much more usable now. My only suggestion is to give the ability to change the keymap on first boot and it would be perfect for me. Keep up the great work.
Which image did you download?

User avatar
penguintutor
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:48 am

I've only had chance to take a quick look so far, but it looks good.

I like the new raspi-config much better than telling users they have to edit /boot/* files. I think it could do with a bit more work in future, but a great starting point.
Would it be possible to include some text explanation within each of the options - as I'm sure many users would not know what the overscan is and whether they need to enable / disable or what the implications of changing the memory allocation is etc.

I'm sure that install guides will include those details in future (I've already explained some of these manually within my guide to installing LAMP, which I'll update to raspi-config rather than editing files when the new image is official). I think it would be better if there was some information within the config tool for the users to work it out.

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 am

asb wrote:The intention is to support upgrading from this image onwards (when an official version of it is published). You can update a squeeze installation to wheezy, but you won't benefit from the cleaner/better default configuration as used in this new wheezy image. If you're happy with what you have, I'd recommend waiting for the official release (maybe this weekend) and switching to that when you feel like it.
Sorry to be a pain, I am a bit lost here... did the 'official release' happen at the weekend, or if not is the latest version still the one in the first post on this thread?

It is just that my Pi has finally arrived and I really would like to start off using Debian.

Thanks! :)

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 am

HB wrote:
KenT wrote:Although you didn't see the extra line did the reconfiguration work? I has a little trouble with it and I wonder if anyone else has.
No; I noticed this because when I rebooted it expecting overscan to be disabled, it wasn't.
Ok, that's what happened to me. I reported this issue on asb's Git/Spindle and am trying to decide whether its real or just my finger trouble. Could you look at /boot/config.txt using nano, not leafpad, and see if there is a long line near the end which has possibly a # followed by a long string of control characters. The control chars do not show up in leafpad. TIA
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

alecthegeek
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:11 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 am

Looks good so far. Couple of snags when using a remote X display

1) The LXDE task panel along the bottom no longer displays.
2) Scratch will not display. X Application window comes up bit is empty and unresponsive.

This worked in squeeze.

I'm using OS X as my X server.
--
Alec Clews <alec.clews@gmail.com>
http://about.me/alecthegeek

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 am

Reider wrote:I`m no Linux expert and take meds for severe pain from a failed spine op, the side effects of which leave my brain with no short term memory. Look at a piece of paper with writing on and try to write something down on another about what I read, I cannot because their is a brick wall in my head. Other problems too but I decided to get a RasPi to push my brain a little and besides I like computer based equipment (geeky stuff if you will) and am managing to cope quite well.

OK, so the picture is I got the original Debian up and running, SSH and VNC on, changed password, changed hostname, set it to Static IP, Resized the SD Card, changed the MOTD, set up FTP, even had a go at XBMC using a downloaded image on another SD Card. One thing I could not do was set up my Edimax 7800UN WiFi Adapter manually, someone provided a script and the job was done. Unfortunately the first RPi-Update broke it. A new script failed to get the Edimax or my wired network going so I was stuck.

In the meantime, I shamedly admit it, I decided to try this Alpha-only for the reasons above. I found the install quick and painless. Running the install I really loved the menu system to get SSH, resizing of the SD Card etc done. Now if this had my Edimax 7800UN install in there too I`d be over the moon, though I know you cannot do a wizard type install for all cards.

When the Alpha (feels more like an almost finished and very finished beta) started up I found it ultra fast and responsive compared to Debian Squeeze. Plugging in my USB Stick was a delight as the RasPi found it and set it going no problem, I even started a video from it. I never tested it but would dare bet that my external 2.5" HD would work, though that is partitioned for FAT32 stuff on the PC and another partition for all my Wii games so I`d have to get another drive anyway. You can guess that the Edimax 7800UN didn`t work, the wired connection did no problems. But I am still really looking forward to this getting released. Its fast, responsive and feels so right to me.

Thank you for your work on it,

Steve
The latest script for installing drivers and set-up for the Edimax is here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 824#p99803
Also make sure to read this post :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 824#p99687
Basically, do not run the script more than once, otherwise you'll need to edit out additional unneccessary entires.

Hope this helps,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 am

Montala wrote:
asb wrote:The intention is to support upgrading from this image onwards (when an official version of it is published). You can update a squeeze installation to wheezy, but you won't benefit from the cleaner/better default configuration as used in this new wheezy image. If you're happy with what you have, I'd recommend waiting for the official release (maybe this weekend) and switching to that when you feel like it.
Sorry to be a pain, I am a bit lost here... did the 'official release' happen at the weekend, or if not is the latest version still the one in the first post on this thread?

It is just that my Pi has finally arrived and I really would like to start off using Debian.

Thanks! :)
The latest test version is still the one on the first post in this thread. We'll soon have a more visible public test with a front page post.

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 am

alecthegeek wrote:1) The LXDE task panel along the bottom no longer displays.
I got the panels back by "rm -r lxpanel" from ~/.config/ followed by a reboot "sudo reboot" so that on restart it grabbed the default settings.

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
If the config files are missing, lxpanel loads system-wide config in /usr/share/lxpanel/profile/<Profile name> instead.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:16 am

penguintutor wrote:I've only had chance to take a quick look so far, but it looks good.

I like the new raspi-config much better than telling users they have to edit /boot/* files. I think it could do with a bit more work in future, but a great starting point.
Would it be possible to include some text explanation within each of the options - as I'm sure many users would not know what the overscan is and whether they need to enable / disable or what the implications of changing the memory allocation is etc.

I'm sure that install guides will include those details in future (I've already explained some of these manually within my guide to installing LAMP, which I'll update to raspi-config rather than editing files when the new image is official). I think it would be better if there was some information within the config tool for the users to work it out.
It could certainly do with more work! I threw it together quickly as there was an obvious gap in the first boot experience. If anyone wants to dive in and help improve it I would be more than happy to take their patches. I agree, integrated help (and hiding some options by default as for 'advanced users') would be much better.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 am

piglet wrote:
alecthegeek wrote:1) The LXDE task panel along the bottom no longer displays.
I got the panels back by "rm -r lxpanel" from ~/.config/ followed by a reboot "sudo reboot" so that on restart it grabbed the default settings.

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
If the config files are missing, lxpanel loads system-wide config in /usr/share/lxpanel/profile/<Profile name> instead.
I'm not having any good ideas about what the problem could be here (I can not reproduce locally, and it clearly is not a problem for many other people). Does anyone have any ideas?

HB
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:49 am

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 am

KenT wrote:Ok, that's what happened to me. I reported this issue on asb's Git/Spindle and am trying to decide whether its real or just my finger trouble. Could you look at /boot/config.txt using nano, not leafpad, and see if there is a long line near the end which has possibly a # followed by a long string of control characters. The control chars do not show up in leafpad. TIA
This is what the end of /boot/config.txt looks like on my Pi:

Code: Select all

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
I did think that looked strange when I was manually editing the overscan line, and if raspi-config is just appending config.txt rather than editing it, that's where our problem is.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 am

HB wrote: This is what the end of /boot/config.txt looks like on my Pi:

Code: Select all

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
I did think that looked strange when I was manually editing the overscan line, and if raspi-config is just appending config.txt rather than editing it, that's where our problem is.
Yes, it will be appending to config.txt and for some reason this is clearly resulting in junk...but only sometimes. Hmm.

User avatar
Sander
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 am

Does this image have IPv6?

I was quite surprised to see the April version has no IPv6:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo modprobe ipv6
FATAL: Module ipv6 not found.
pi@raspberrypi:~$

pi@raspberrypi:~$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #90 Wed Apr 18 18:23:05 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
pi@raspberrypi:~$

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 am

asb wrote:I'm not having any good ideas about what the problem could be here (I can not reproduce locally, and it clearly is not a problem for many other people). Does anyone have any ideas?
No, sorry. I don't remember doing anything odd. It's possible I powered down without a controlled shutdown, but I don't remember doing that. All I can tell you was that the expected lxpanel config files were there but were zero bytes in size (no content). They had been there at first boot into lxde. I still don't know enough to look at why the background pi image isn't showing.

Return to “Debian”