jbrickner

Re: Help test the next Debian image (wheezy)

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:46 pm

This build works great on my 8GB SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s Class 6 SD card. The previous build Debian Squeez wouldn't. Thanks.

sjfaustino

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Installed on a Sandisk Ultra 16GB, changed the arm_freq to 900 (tested before with other distros and worked fine), configured everything at boot with connected keyboard, had the same keyboard configuration issue previously reported.

Kept the en_GB.UTF8 and added the pt_pt.UTF8 locale.

Opened a SSH conection from another computer and did a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. You can find the results at http://pastebin.com/GEWjNG9N . One issue to note is at the middle:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_COLLATE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_MESSAGES = "en_US.UTF-8",
LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:03 pm

sjfaustino wrote:Kept the en_GB.UTF8 and added the pt_pt.UTF8 locale.

Opened a SSH conection from another computer and did a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. You can find the results at http://pastebin.com/GEWjNG9N . One issue to note is at the middle:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
What is the locale on the machine you are sshing from? It looks like your ssh client is forwarding the locale settings. Please check `locale` on 1) the machine you are sshing from, 2) the pi on a local tty, 3) the pi after sshing in to it.

bobnuts

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 pm

asb wrote:
bobnuts wrote:Seeding :-)

Installation completed without issue. However, when using PCManFMI am not able to browse through any network drives - error dialog message = Operation not supported.

Should I expect SMB network browsing to work?
I haven't tested it, thanks for flagging it up. Could you please confirm whether `sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse` resolves the problem for you?
Tried it but got following error:

[email protected] ~ $ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gvfs-backends is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package gvfs-fuse is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'gvfs-backends' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'gvfs-fuse' has no installation candidate
[email protected] ~ $

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm

bobnuts wrote: Tried it but got following error:

[email protected] ~ $ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse
You'll need to `sudo apt-get update` first. We had some discussion about this issue at https://github.com/asb/spindle/issues/27 and it sounds like gvfs alone doesn't cut it.

jmacey

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:13 pm

All working so far here, am doing some test build of OpenGL code now so will report if any problems, I really like the first boot options of memory partition and SD card re-size saves me loads of time.

thanks and good work all!

jmacey

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

My OpenGL stuff works, however on every re-boot I get the following

*failed to open vchiq instance.

I can fix it using sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vchiq but this is not a permanent fix as after a re-boot the permissions revert back to the original, is there a fix for this (or shall I just add it to my own init.d scripts?)

sjfaustino

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm

asb wrote:
sjfaustino wrote:Kept the en_GB.UTF8 and added the pt_pt.UTF8 locale.

LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
What is the locale on the machine you are sshing from? It looks like your ssh client is forwarding the locale settings. Please check `locale` on 1) the machine you are sshing from, 2) the pi on a local tty, 3) the pi after sshing in to it.
Rebooted the rpi, logged in locally, did a locale>locale.txt which is pasted below, opened a ssh to it.

1) machine source of the ssh:
$ locale
LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_PT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
2) rpi on local tty:
$ cat locale.txt
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
3) result of running locale on the rpi thru ssh
$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
You were absolutely right so did a search on Google for it and found this page as one of the first hits: http://www.jerri.de/blog/archives/2009/ ... index.html

Did a sudo nano /etc/ssh/ssh_config, placed a # at the start of the line "SendEnv LANG LC_*", CTRL+X, Y, exited the ssh session, did a new ssh and now the error messages are gone.

The above is detailed since it might happen to other inexperienced Linux users and a little hand-holding is always nice :D

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm

jmacey wrote:My OpenGL stuff works, however on every re-boot I get the following

*failed to open vchiq instance.

I can fix it using sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vchiq but this is not a permanent fix as after a re-boot the permissions revert back to the original, is there a fix for this (or shall I just add it to my own init.d scripts?)
Have you changed anything? Added a new user? I am unable to reproduce. I have a udev rule that sets the group of /dev/vchiq to video (with rw group permissions). The default pi user is a member of that video group. Presumably `groups` shows you are a member of video, and ls -lh /dev/vchiq shows `crw-rw---T 1 root video 253, 0 Jan 1 1970 /dev/vchiq`?

adrianrly

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm

Hello.

I don't have a HDMI display or a USB keyboard so I need it to run out of the box. Is there a way to skip the configuration part or eventually do it from a SSH terminal?

Great job!
Thank you.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 pm

adrianrly wrote: I don't have a HDMI display or a USB keyboard so I need it to run out of the box. Is there a way to skip the configuration part or eventually do it from a SSH terminal?
Yes, that is 100% supported. sshd is started by default, you can ssh in. It will suggest you might want to run `sudo raspi-config` to check the config settings (and expand root partition etc).

DavidMS

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:23 pm

Just noticed the following when checking I could attach using Putty.

Putty connected ok, I then start LXDE using the directly connected keyboard, all ok but when I tried to log out of the GUI the Rpi just hung. I tried it a few times always with the same result. I also tried typing startx on the remote terminal this time LXDE started but the remote link would not accept any input from the keyboard - but did display. This time when I tried to quit the GUI it just restarted.

If I do not make the remote connection all seems fine with the logout process
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

sjfaustino

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Just did a webserver installation of lighttpd+PHP+mySQL and seems to be working fine.
Will do some stress testing with it tomorrow.

Total memory occupied=2136+5268+7496=14900 bytes
Less than 15MB for the equivalent of a LAMPP installation is _very_ good :)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 am

BTW I heard from someone at the manchester raspberry jam that they had done some benchmarking of webservers on the Pi and found that nginx was by far the fastest.

Nburnes

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 am

Well this has been rather "unfun" for myself. I personally have kernel errors quite constantly. Doing a simple nano of an install script, not even booted into GUI.
Hopefully ya'll can read this.
(Right-click open in new tab)

sjfaustino

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 am

plugwash wrote:BTW I heard from someone at the manchester raspberry jam that they had done some benchmarking of webservers on the Pi and found that nginx was by far the fastest.
I've tried to setup nginx on raspbian pisces with the help of a user from the raspbian channel but the bloody thing just wouldn't work with PHP or it would but then it would stop.

Will try nginx later on if I can get it to work with PHP and compare with lighttpd.
I'm installing a backup of my forum on the rpi at the moment with a >300MB mySQL DB and a few threads with over 64K posts each :) I think that might give it a real world workout :D

jairuncaloth

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:40 am

Just got my raspberry pi today :). Downloaded and installed this image. So far so good, but I haven't done much other then reading the forums and wiki trying to figure out what I really want to do with this thing. I can't seem to find the raspi-update script, but I'm also not sure if that's even needed at the moment.

john.mills

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:12 am

Hi asb,

I hope this is not the wrong forum to ask this question, are you also building an equivalent image to this one using Raspbian? I thought the plan was to compare and contrast the ARMEL and hardfp general 'desktop' performance using the same of very similar images?

Best regards and thanks,

John

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:14 am

john.mills wrote:Hi asb,

I hope this is not the wrong forum to ask this question, are you also building an equivalent image to this one using Raspbian? I thought the plan was to compare and contrast the ARMEL and hardfp general 'desktop' performance using the same of very similar images?
My priority right now is getting this armel image out. After that, I intend to use my scripts to produce an identical image using raspbian packages.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 am

jairuncaloth wrote:Just got my raspberry pi today :). Downloaded and installed this image. So far so good, but I haven't done much other then reading the forums and wiki trying to figure out what I really want to do with this thing. I can't seem to find the raspi-update script, but I'm also not sure if that's even needed at the moment.
There have been no firmware updates since this image was released. Firmware now has Debian packaging, so when updates are released you will be able to `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade` (at least, on the final version you will - the test image is using a temporary apt repository on asbradbury.org rather than a more official and permanent raspberrypi.org one).

john.mills

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:28 am

Hi asb,
My priority right now is getting this armel image out. After that, I intend to use my scripts to produce an identical image using raspbian packages.
Okay, that is great. As long as the best technical solution is chosen that gives the very best user experience and maximises the Pi hardware to the full then the foundation will be in a great position.

Regards,

John

dscott

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am

This image is working fine for me. It is even working on the Sandisk Ultra class 6 16GB SD cards that I couldn't get the official Squeeze image working on (due to the "mmc timeout waiting for interrupt" issue). So thanks.

Reider

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 pm

I`m no Linux expert and take meds for severe pain from a failed spine op, the side effects of which leave my brain with no short term memory. Look at a piece of paper with writing on and try to write something down on another about what I read, I cannot because their is a brick wall in my head. Other problems too but I decided to get a RasPi to push my brain a little and besides I like computer based equipment (geeky stuff if you will) and am managing to cope quite well.

OK, so the picture is I got the original Debian up and running, SSH and VNC on, changed password, changed hostname, set it to Static IP, Resized the SD Card, changed the MOTD, set up FTP, even had a go at XBMC using a downloaded image on another SD Card. One thing I could not do was set up my Edimax 7800UN WiFi Adapter manually, someone provided a script and the job was done. Unfortunately the first RPi-Update broke it. A new script failed to get the Edimax or my wired network going so I was stuck.

In the meantime, I shamedly admit it, I decided to try this Alpha-only for the reasons above. I found the install quick and painless. Running the install I really loved the menu system to get SSH, resizing of the SD Card etc done. Now if this had my Edimax 7800UN install in there too I`d be over the moon, though I know you cannot do a wizard type install for all cards.

When the Alpha (feels more like an almost finished and very finished beta) started up I found it ultra fast and responsive compared to Debian Squeeze. Plugging in my USB Stick was a delight as the RasPi found it and set it going no problem, I even started a video from it. I never tested it but would dare bet that my external 2.5" HD would work, though that is partitioned for FAT32 stuff on the PC and another partition for all my Wii games so I`d have to get another drive anyway. You can guess that the Edimax 7800UN didn`t work, the wired connection did no problems. But I am still really looking forward to this getting released. Its fast, responsive and feels so right to me.

Thank you for your work on it,

Steve

HB

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm generally impressed with the progress made with this image. Two issues to note, though. 'Change overscan' in raspi-config didn't seem to actually do anything to the relevant line in config.txt, and the package 'usbutils' wasn't installed by default, and I think it ought to be.

XavM

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Great work !! : Works fine for me

No more "lsusb" in this image ?
I add to "sudo apt-get install usbutils"

Same problem as described here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 111#p97111 with installing bluetooth :
[....] Starting bluetooth:Segmentation fault

No more "iwconfig" in this image ?
I will have to get used to iw ...

Same probleme Wifi USB Stick Realtek as as in the squeeze image : The driver is not in the image
ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
I didn't try to compile it nor to follow this brilliant post : http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 358#p81358

No more "smbfs" in this image ?
sudo mount -t smbfs //host/share /mnt/smb
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

The ALSA alpha driver is still ... alpha : Music freeze often

I have been able to successfully install and use (not extensively) :
build-essential libssl-dev libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl libao-dev libio-socket-inet6-perl libwww-perl avahi-utils pkg-config libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 python-setuptools python-pip python-dev

When do you plan the RC ?
(did i read this week end ?!!)

Thank you for all this work
Image seeding :)

------------

Edit :

iptables is now compiled with the kernell : This is really good news, but ... still no NAT :
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables v1.4.13: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)

(Still the same problem with the new squeeze compile options : http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 205#p99205)

And BRIDGE is not set either :
zgrep BRIDGE /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE is not set
# CONFIG_BRIDGE is not set

Could it be possible to change compile options to the one suggested here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 326#p94326 <- Edit : compile in "modules" is of course really fine
Last edited by XavM on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Debian”