MrEngman

Debian6-19-04-2012 source, firmware and tools

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Can someone tell me where I can find the source, firmware and tools used to make the Debian6-19-04-2012 image on the RasPi downloads page.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Debian6-19-04-2012 source, firmware and tools

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Search github for Raspberry Pi.

MrEngman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:50 pm

rurwin wrote:Search github for Raspberry Pi.
I can download the current code from there but that's not what I want. I don't want the current code.

If it is there how do I get code from some time in the past, e.g. the code used to create the Debian image?

What command would I need to use down load code from the past?

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nick.mccloud

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Er, the whole point of Git is that you can extract out a point in time - it's a fully functional source code management system.

What's not clear however is if you are looking for the code that created the kernel (and indeed, why - context always helps in answering questions).

Or if you want the install files for Debian at a point in time.

First one, check out https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/co ... pi-patches and scroll down to the 16th April when there were a series of updates on that day.

Second one, Google led me to this: http://snapshot.debian.org/

MrEngman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:31 pm

nick.mccloud wrote:Er, the whole point of Git is that you can extract out a point in time - it's a fully functional source code management system.

What's not clear however is if you are looking for the code that created the kernel (and indeed, why - context always helps in answering questions).

Or if you want the install files for Debian at a point in time.

First one, check out https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/co ... pi-patches and scroll down to the 16th April when there were a series of updates on that day.

Second one, Google led me to this: http://snapshot.debian.org/
I want to get hold of the code for the Debian6-19-04-2012 image so I can use it to check a new driver I have. I have a driver that works with that code but then stops working after the code is updated with rpi-update. I want to first check the new driver with the original code and then advance to using later versions of the code.

I also thought if I could end up making an identical image I would learn a lot in the process.

I have a clone of the git on my Pi and assume I should be able to get the code from that but I've no idea how. I also have a git manual and am trying to read through that try and find how to do it but its rather tough going at the moment.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:47 pm

You scared me. The way you worded it, it looked like a probe for GPL non-conformance :-D

Clone the repository on your PC, then get a copy of TortoiseGit and you can do it all in a GUI. But TortoiseGit only works with Windows and Nuatilus (maybe Mac), and Nautilus would be a big install for a Pi; you'd bring most of Gnome.

MrEngman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm

rurwin wrote:You scared me. The way you worded it, it looked like a probe for GPL non-conformance :-D

Clone the repository on your PC, then get a copy of TortoiseGit and you can do it all in a GUI. But TortoiseGit only works with Windows and Nuatilus (maybe Mac), and Nautilus would be a big install for a Pi; you'd bring most of Gnome.
Sorry, hope your'e OK now.

I prefer to stay away from GUI's but I've got some big SD cards with plenty of room so could just try it to see how it is.

Return to “Debian”