raspberryfish

slim Debian for RPi-Server?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello,

is there any Debian for RPi around which comes without GUI, Wolfram, etc? I just want to use my RPi as Web- and OpenVPN-Server.

thanks
Peter

Richard-TX

Re: slim Debian for RPi-Server?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 pm

None that I have been able to find.

OTOH, apt-get remove --purge isn't a hard or lengthy process..
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 am

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 am

Richard-TX wrote:None that I have been able to find.

What would be nice are lists of "these packages aren't needed for a server" and "these packages are essential". Trying to find which things to remove with apt-get purge <package_name> is a bit hit & miss.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Richard-TX wrote:None that I have been able to find.

What would be nice are lists of "these packages aren't needed for a server" and "these packages are essential". Trying to find which things to remove with apt-get purge <package_name> is a bit hit & miss.
Aside from small and useful things like curl, these are the extra packaged installed on the official Raspbian image:

Code: Select all

build-essential manpages-dev python bash-completion gdb pkg-config python-rpi.gpio v4l-utils lua5.1 luajit nfs-common usbutils cifs-utils libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libfreetype6-dev wpasupplicant wireless-tools firmware-atheros firmware brcm80211 firmware-libertas firmware-ralink firmware-realtek dphys-swapfile xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg xinit midori lxde lxtask menu-xdg gksu xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo xpdf gtk2-engines alsa-utils netsurf-gtk zenity xdg-utils desktop-base lxpolkit gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse wpagui git-core rpi-update weston omxplayer raspberrypi-artwork lightdm gnome-themes-standard-data gnome-icon-theme python idle python-pygame python-tk python3 idle3 python3-tk python3-rpi.gpio debian-reference-en dillo x2x scratch timidity smartsim penguinspuzzle pistore sonic-pi python3-numpy pypy-upstream python3-pifacecommon python3-pifacedigitalio python3-pifacedigital-scratch-handler python-pifacecommon python-pifacedigitalio java-common oracle-java7-jdk wolfram-engine
This list is not definitive, and changes all the time. It is only accurate as of the date this was posted. To get an up-to-date list, go through these scripts https://github.com/asb/spindle.

There's also a lot of junk installed without using apt-get, mainly in the ~pi/ and ~pi/Desktop directories. You can try to scrub it all out, but it just makes way more sense to use hifi's installer.

default_user8

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 pm

raspberryfish wrote:Hello,

is there any Debian for RPi around which comes without GUI, Wolfram, etc? I just want to use my RPi as Web- and OpenVPN-Server.

thanks
Peter
This is where you want to start
http://www.linuxsystems.it/raspbian-whe ... mal-image/
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Return to “Debian”