rooreynolds

Mounting USB hard drive - unknown filesystem type 'hfsplus'

Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 pm

I've got a 1TB Western Digital USB HDD, which I've previously formatted and used as a backup and shared storage for various Macs (a growing repository of music, photos etc). Now, rather than constantly plugging it in to my laptop(s) over USB I want to plug it into my RPi and have it running as a handy NAS on my home wifi, so I can stream music to the various computers around the house.
Having plugged it in and dug around /dev, I'm pretty sure that the one I need is /dev/sda2 so let's mount that bad boy.
$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
mount: unknown filesystem type 'hfsplus'
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
Hmm. Ok, it'll be formatted HFS+, sure. Let's try adding HFS support using hfsutils.
$ sudo apt-get install hfsutils
$ sudo hmount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
hmount: /dev/sda2: not a Macintosh HFS volume (Invalid argument)
Nope. Maybe that's only going to work for HFS rather than HFS+? Let's try something else then. Maybe hfsplus?
$ sudo apt-get install hfsplus
$ sudo hpmount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
*** Warning: You are about to open '/dev/sda2' for writing ***
*** Do you really want to do that ? (y/n) ***
n
$ sudo hpmount -r /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
hpmount: /dev/sda2: This is not a HFS+ volume (Unknown error 4294967295)
Close, but no cigar. This thing really does not want to be mounted. What am I doing wrong here? Any ideas?

(Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the 'Hardware and peripherals' area. Hope I chose correctly.)

jbeale

Re: Mounting USB hard drive - unknown filesystem type 'hfspl

Wed May 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Just to cover the obvious points first, is this a USB-powered drive that you are attempting to run from the R-Pi directly? That will not work because HDDs typically draw 600 mA or more when running, and the Pi's USB ports are spec'd for 100 mA only. Just ignore me if it is externally powered, or you are already running it from a properly powered external USB hub.

devindied

Wed May 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Just to comment here, I want to do the same thing as yourself. I also have a Western Digital USB 2.0 (wish it was 3.0 or thunder....) HDD, a 2TB one that is powered via Wall plug. I would love to have an answer here as well. I have a lot of photos and music just like yourself, but if i were to mount it, would I also have to reformat my drive? :shock: That would be a fun killer. I have each 1TB partitioned. 1 mac journaled and 1 FAT32. I know that FAT32 is recognized by windows and mac, but will it be recognized my debian?

Good luck to you jbeale, and please share your progress! :D
Raspberyy Pi Model B (soon to get.... i hope.....)
2012 MacBook Pro 17 2.5 i7 Quad, 8GB Ram, 1GB GDDR5 GPU, 128GB Samsung 810 SSD
OSX 10.7 Lion / Windows 7 Ultimate / "Future linux"

MarshallBanana

Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm

not sure, but could it be missing kernel support for the filesystem? did you check the /proc/config (or .gz) if there is maybe a module ready that you can modprobe or if not if you can recompile the kernel with support for that filesystem?

rooreynolds

Thu May 31, 2012 9:49 am

jbeale wrote:Just to cover the obvious points first, is this a USB-powered drive that you are attempting to run from the R-Pi directly? That will not work because HDDs typically draw 600 mA or more when running, and the Pi's USB ports are spec'd for 100 mA only.
Good to check, but it's an externally powered drive.

rooreynolds

Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 am

MarshallBanana wrote:not sure, but could it be missing kernel support for the filesystem? did you check the /proc/config (or .gz) if there is maybe a module ready that you can modprobe or if not if you can recompile the kernel with support for that filesystem?
I suppose that's my question really: does anyone know whether HFS+ is supported in the kernel and I'm just doing it wrong, or would I need to recompile the kernel (and how)?

For now, I've created a FAT partition on the drive just to get something working.

GraemeA

Thu May 31, 2012 3:23 pm

rooreynolds wrote:
MarshallBanana wrote:not sure, but could it be missing kernel support for the filesystem? did you check the /proc/config (or .gz) if there is maybe a module ready that you can modprobe or if not if you can recompile the kernel with support for that filesystem?
I suppose that's my question really: does anyone know whether HFS+ is supported in the kernel and I'm just doing it wrong, or would I need to recompile the kernel (and how)?

For now, I've created a FAT partition on the drive just to get something working.
cat /proc/filesystems will show you which filesystems are supported by the kernel.

rooreynolds

Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks.

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #90 Wed Apr 18 18:23:05 BST 2012 armv6l
$ cat /proc/filesystems
nodev	sysfs
nodev	rootfs
nodev	bdev
nodev	proc
nodev	tmpfs
nodev	devtmpfs
nodev	sockfs
nodev	pipefs
nodev	anon_inodefs
nodev	rpc_pipefs
nodev	configfs
nodev	devpts
	ext3
	ext2
	ext4
nodev	ramfs
	vfat
	msdos
nodev	nfs
nodev	nfs4
nodev	autofs
nodev	mqueue
nodev	fuse
	fuseblk
nodev	fusectl
So it looks like to use HFS or HFS+ I'll need to compile them in to the kernel myself?

tufty

Thu May 31, 2012 6:40 pm

More than likely. Hfs support was pretty stable last time I tried it.

tijntje

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I have the same problem. I would like to mount my hfsplus mounted usb disks to create a simple nas (keep the raspberry pi on 24/7 instead of the mac mini).

Does somebody have any idea how to do this?

smcavoy

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 pm

You'll need to compile the module hfsplus:
see http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation

bloodline

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:36 am

Given the number of Mac users who have Raspberry Pis... It should be standard to have hfsplus support compiled in ;)

adriank

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

I don't have my Pi yet, so I can't try by myself.
Maybe this link helps:

http://raamdev.com/2008/mounting-hfs-wi ... in-debian/

jui-feng

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 pm

I think hfs and hfsplus support was added to the "rpi-update"-kernel on 2012/06/17:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... 6448eca3e3

adriank

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:25 pm

adriank wrote:I don't have my Pi yet, so I can't try by myself.
Maybe this link helps:

http://raamdev.com/2008/mounting-hfs-wi ... in-debian/

Hey folks.

I finally got my Pi and I got the mounting of HFS+ to work with wheezy.

The packages "hfs" and "hfsplus" should be installed already, so I additionally installed the packages "hfsutils" and "hfsprogs". I am not sure if they are necessary because when I tried to mount my disk with:

mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /media/SONY
I still had error messages like:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
The important information to me was, that the actual data of an HFS+ disk is not found in /dev/sda1 but in the second partition /dev/sda2. The first partition only contains partition information. So the right command should be:

mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda2 /media/SONY
Hope it helps some people out there.

ssb22

Re: Mounting USB hard drive - unknown filesystem type 'hfsplus'

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 pm

I ran into this problem recently and it turned out to be because I had upgraded the raspberrypi-kernel package and forgot to reboot. So the version number of the hfsplus module under /lib/modules was the one to match the new kernel I'd just installed, but the actual kernel I was running had an earlier version number and wasn't able to load this new hfsplus module. So I got "unknown filesystem type 'hfsplus'" and it took me a while to remember why.

Some distros (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora) put each kernel version and set of modules into a separate package, with the kernel version number as part of the package name, so you can (if you choose to) have multiple kernel versions on the machine at the same time, meaning you can (1) install new kernel and new set of modules, (2) carry on running old kernel + modules until it's next convenient to reboot, (3) reboot, and (4) delete old kernel + modules. But the raspberrypi-kernel package doesn't work like that: it completely replaces /lib/modules with the newer versions, so whenever you upgrade it you had better reboot before you next need to load some filesystem module or whatever.

Return to “Debian”