FoldingAccent

Devuan ASCII + Pi Zero W Wifi Drivers

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi All,

Been fighting with an issue on a Zero W model Pi, out of the box it doesn't look like Devuan includes drivers for the wifi adapter.

I've installed the following packages (dpkg -i xxx.deb) by downloading the .debs and chucking on the SD card:

firmware-brcm80211_20161130-4_all.deb
zd1211-firmware_3.0.0.56-3_all.deb
firmware-zd1211_3.0.0.56-3_all.deb

dmesg |grep firmware presents:

Code: Select all

Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt failed with error -2
ifconfig -a shows no interfaces apart from the local loopback.

iwconfig wlan0 presents no such device.

ip link show just shows the local loopback.

modinfo brcmfmac shows the driver and modules as being installed.

wpa_supplicant is installed, and I have a config file setup with my wifi credentials in place, /etc/network/interfaces has the pointing to this and looks something like this:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Before anyone states, "just use Raspbian" I have logical reasons for wanting to use a sane init system as well as a fast system. Raspbian has got seriously clunky compared to it's early releases unfortunately.

So has anyone seen anything like this before and might know a way to get the wifi working?

sidney17

Re: Devuan ASCII + Pi Zero W Wifi Drivers

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:39 am

Hello,

I am wondering if you have made any progress with this. I too do not like systemd.

What version of the pi Devuan are you using?

Thanks

t23

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:15 am

Bump. I am on Devuan Ceres with two Zero W's and have the same problem. No issue dangling an 8192cu based dongle from them, but it's not really an elegant solution.

Am i missing an overlay or what is the matter here?

t23

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 am

Okay, i got it working this way (using a wifi dongle temporarily):

sudo apt-get install firmware-brcm80211
cd /lib/firmware/brcm
sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/master/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
If you use a wifi channel above 11, you want to add the "crda" package and its dependencies, and then set your country code with the "iw" utility, for instance "sudo iw reg set UK" for United Kingdom.

Reboot and cross your fingers.

Note that this gives me a LOT of flickering on the screen when using the network, but it will work fine for a headless setup.

Return to “Debian”