Freeballer

default debian install on raspberry pi?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:34 am

I have been fiddling with debian since i got my raspberry pi.
With all due respect to the "raspbian" distro it's been a very fustrating time. I just want a "default", no frills install of fresh debian goodness. The default image wasn't to my liking, so I went to http://www.raspbian.org but several times, at random, during the install process it freezes completely up. Usually in the last few stages but renders it completely unbootable and I've had to start from scratch again.

There has been no install.log, no debug code or anything I could look up and fix. Can someone please help me either fix raspbian, or install debian from an official mirror and install on raspberry pi?

Thanks
Geoff

flyinghappy

Re: default debian install on raspberry pi?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:16 am

If you want bare bones why not try the Archlinux Arm for the pi. It runs very well, doesn't take a lot to set up and is pretty darn speedy on mine. Perfect distro for this device if you ask me. Installs with almost nothing and you add only what you need :)
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

rickseiden

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 am

There's always the Raspian Installer.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Freeballer

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 am

I've thought of arch... I have more than a passing familiarity with it, pacman, etc..
but the rolling update/package model kind of cheesed me off with "homemade" stuff
(aur, etc..) so I left for debian.

I have used the installer actually. It works up to a point and then stalls

flyinghappy

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 am

None of it is "homemade" it is just vanilla upstream packages. I have found very few things that I have needed to go to the AUR for anyways. Personally I find the rolling release perfect, especially for something like this as it never needs to have an upgrade re-installed like other distros can sometimes require (i know you're supposed to be able to just upgrade, but it doesn't always work out like that). just my $.02 :)
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

Freeballer

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 am

I've given up, for a time, to get deb working.
Since my netbook was powered (partly) by ubuntu it would have been nice
to have all apt-get.. But I used arch for a 1yr or two previously so at least
no real learning curve to pick it back up. Haven't needed to use AUR and boot time
is a great feature for me too.

rhiakath

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:37 pm

I've just finished ( literally about a minute ago ) a fresh minimum debian install on a raspberry.

And by minimum, i mean having a root password, and a command line in the serial port. Very minimum.

Basically, it involved creating a root jail inside a raspbian installation.

1 - Install raspbian
2 - create a new folder where you'll install your new system
3 - use debootstrap to create bare minimum inside that folder
4 - chroot into it.
5 - change root passwd, install kernel and raspberry bootloader, edit fstab
6 - get out of chroot
7 - copy cmdline from /boot to boot directory inside your install folder
8 - sync

now, you take off the SD card, insert it into your laptop/card reader/whatever, and make a tar with the new system with something like tar acvpf ~/new_rasp.tar.gz <path to that new install>

then, completely erase the partitions on the sd card with mkfs

mkfs.vfat /dev/<device for boot partition on SD>
mkfs.ext4 /dev/<device for boot partition on SD>

mount the second partition somewhere, create a boot folder inside it, and then mount the first partition on that boot folder

now simply extract the tar.gz you've created previously to that folder ( the second partition one )
do a sync, and insert your sd card on your raspberry pi. There should be a command line on the serial line waiting for you :D

If you don't have a serial cable available, you should install dhcpcd or similar while in the root-jail, and enable eth0.

Return to “Debian”