Iexpress

Install .deb packages from x86-64 Debian Stretch Live DVD?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to use .deb packages from a live Debian Stretch x86-64 DVD on Raspbian?

If so, what directory are the .deb files in on the DVD, and can we install them on Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 3 as is?

If not, is the source code for the packages in the live disc image on the disc?

If so, how do we recompile source code to a .deb file that can run on Raspbian Stretch?

I currently don't have 802.11-based internet access, and not sure if I want to sit at Starbucks to apt get packages if there is a convient way of copying deb packages over from a live disc.

I would think they would be good to go as is, where each .deb file has the same structure layout.

Thank you for your help.

rpdom

Re: Install .deb packages from x86-64 Debian Stretch Live DVD?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm

No, you can't use x86-64 packages on the armhf architecture of the Pi. They are compiled differently.

You need to either download the .debs from the raspbian repository, or compile all the code yourself from the source (which isn't on the DVD).

There are ways of finding out which files you need to download, but it can get fiddly.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Iexpress wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Is it possible to use .deb packages from a live Debian Stretch x86-64 DVD on Raspbian?

No, and why do you think this is feasible ?

Raspbian is based of ARMHF Debian:

https://www.debian.org/ports/
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

Iexpress

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 am

Thank you for explaining, I was thinking the Linux versions would be different per architecture while the .deb files were in a same standard format and work across distributions being interpreted or processed the same way.

I'll check out the add/remove programs in Raspbian Stretch to see what is available.

Could there also be additional downloads available that don't show in the repository?

I noticed some .deb packages can be downloaded individually, will check for armhf versions.

There are a few I would like to install:
newfs_udf, udftools and one for setting up /dev/sr0 as a packet device that I can't remember the name of but creates a new device /dev/pktDVD0 I believe and links them together.

Thank you again.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:02 am

Iexpress wrote:
Thank you for explaining, I was thinking the Linux versions would be different per architecture while the .deb files were in a same standard format and work across distributions being interpreted or processed the same way.

I'll check out the add/remove programs in Raspbian Stretch to see what is available.

Could there also be additional downloads available that don't show in the repository?

I noticed some .deb packages can be downloaded individually, will check for armhf versions.

There are a few I would like to install:
newfs_udf, udftools and one for setting up /dev/sr0 as a packet device that I can't remember the name of but creates a new device /dev/pktDVD0 I believe and links them together.

Thank you again.

Synaptic Package Manager:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo.apt-get install synaptic

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/action.html

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

k-pi

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

You can check the Debian repos to see if the package you want has been compiled for armhf.

https://packages.debian.org/stable/

Iexpress

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Great, I'll check them out. I was also wondering what the difference between armhf and armarch is?

Every now and then I see images saying they're ARMv some version number, I suppose armhf, armel and armarch support ARMv versions the same.

Additionally, I think I saw ARM processors come in three versions, CPU, MCU with built in flash and another type I can't recall. It would be awesome to put Raspbian in an MCU type ARM processor instead of booting from sdcard, or at least a bootloader to allow booting from different devices and loading the kernel into ram.

Thanks again

rpdom

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Iexpress wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:04 pm
Great, I'll check them out. I was also wondering what the difference between armhf and armarch is?

Every now and then I see images saying they're ARMv some version number, I suppose armhf, armel and armarch support ARMv versions the same.
This is where it gets slightly confusing.
In Debian (and all others):
armel = ARMv4 to ARMv6
armhf = ARMv7 and later
aarch64 = ARMv8 and later

In Raspbian:
armhf = ARMv6 (but only the Raspberry Pi1 and Zero versions), and later.

You can mix armhf from Debian and Raspbian, except on a Pi 1 or Zero.

Any .deb file that says "all" is fine for any architecture as it contains no CPU specific code.

Pi 1, CM1 and Pi 0 use ARMv6 1176jz
Pi 2 (Early version) use ARMv7
Pi 2 (newer version), Pi 3 and CM3 use ARMv8

Iexpress

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Great, thanks for explaining the difference between architectures.

I'm browsing packages.debian.org for armhf .deb packages and also wondered, are all the listed dependencies and libraries included in the main .deb or do the listed dependency libraries have to downloaded individually as well?

Doing this on a laptop to get packages to install via USB hard drive.

Would the dependencies and libraries already be installed? It would make it easier if the rependencies were included in the .deb.

Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Iexpress wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm
Great, thanks for explaining the difference between architectures.

I'm browsing packages.debian.org for armhf .deb packages and also wondered, are all the listed dependencies and libraries included in the main .deb or do the listed dependency libraries have to downloaded individually as well?

Doing this on a laptop to get packages to install via USB hard drive.

Would the dependencies and libraries already be installed? It would make it easier if the rependencies were included in the .deb.

Thanks.

Why not just connect your RPi to the internet ???

Iexpress

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:08 pm

I would but have no display for it, and no internet at the house so I have to go to Starbucks for the minute.

I'm using a Pi 3 with Raspbian Stretch. Would this still be armhf or can we also use armARCH?

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Iexpress wrote:
I would but have no display for it, and no internet at the house so I have to go to Starbucks for the minute.

I'm using a Pi 3 with Raspbian Stretch. Would this still be armhf or can we also use armARCH?

Thanks

All packages require dependencies, when installing a package it will inform of missing dependencies.

A Raspberry Pi can be run headless and a 3/4G SmartPhone, depending on contract, may offer Tethering.

I only have Mobile Internet myself.

Iexpress

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I guess the apt will download and install missing required dependencies.. too much work to do this manually so will try to put the pi 3 on the net and let it get the dependencies automatically, if it can do this.

timrowledge

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:57 am

Iexpress wrote:
I guess you’re thinking of AArch64 here, the 64bit v8 architecture and instruction set. So no, you can’t use that within Raspbian at the moment and possibly never. There are 64bit versions of assorted linuxes to try out if that is important to you.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

timrowledge

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:59 am

Iexpress wrote:
That would be far too sensible an idea to ever get implemented.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

Iexpress

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:01 am

From the looks of the main programs on packages.debian.org, the listed dependencies also have dependencies that are needed which might then need further dependencies.

With enough time and courage, it might be possible to write a script to install downloaded dependencies in a sort of correct order before the main .deb package program is installed, and then turn the script over to open source to make it available for all.

I did see a Gdebi app that can get dependencies, but I don't think it could get a dependency's dependencies. It might just go after primary dependencies of a package.

Sitting down with pencil and paper to make a list of packages each program needs that I downloaded so I can figure out their installation order.

I decided to try K3B, UDFtools and ffmpeg to install manually. This could be kinda tricky, it took about three hours to download individual packages.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 am

You can generate a list of URLs to download everything you need. Do this from the pi:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/168352/ ... nload-list

The only problem is that if the pi has no internet connection, you won't be able to run apt-get update and it won't know what the latest versions of packages are. Then some of the URLs you get may 404.

If you want to use your pi entirely offline for a long period of time, it maybe worth making a mirror of the repos you're using. The downside of that is that it would use a lot of disk space and you'd only use <1% of the available packages.

Return to “Debian”