ruin.christmas

Boots into grub

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Installed the raspberry pi for PC debian on a laptop and it seemed to be successful but when i restart it goes into GNU GRUB and i was expecting instead a GUI like raspbian. How do i get it to boot automatically into a gui? Thank you.

topguy

Re: Boots into grub

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:12 am

Probably something has not gone exactly to plan during the installation. Of course it should boot properly into a desktop/login screen.
Are there no entries to choose in the grub ? or do you get a grub commandline prompt. ?

Martin Frezman

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:02 am

Why does the title of this thread sound like some new government program for converting spare footwear into food?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

ruin.christmas

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:22 am

I get a grub commandline prompt: "GNU GRUB version 2....Minimal BASH-like...etc... grub>"

The laptop in question is an HP 14-an013nr. It came with Windows 10 and I immediately replaced it with Linux Mint ~1 year ago so it's capable of having Linux on it. Before you responded, I tried to put stock Debian on it and got the same grub screen & I checked the md5 of that iso.

Might it have something to do with UEFI/bios? Should I use some kind of partition thing like GParted on the HD first? Thanks for your help.

topguy

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 pm

You could experiment with turning off secure OS boot in the BIOS, but I'm not sure grub would boot even if that was the problem.
Did you get a question during install if you want to put grub on /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 ?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Debian Jessie supports UEFI

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

Have you eradicated all traces of Windows 10 partitioning including restore partition ??
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

ruin.christmas

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:25 pm

@top - i chose graphical guided install and there seemed to be only two choices one for the 32GB SSD and one for the USB that the iso was on. I obviously chose the computer's HD.

@fruit - i believe i erased everything from windows 10 a long time ago but I will double check today

thanks for your help so far guys

ruin.christmas

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 pm

I reinstalled & went into the BIOS settings and tried different things and was able to boot properly into the GUI. However I think that I'm going to use a different distro on the laptop as the wireless card was not detected and the touchpad wasn't working properly either.

Return to “Debian”