JonathanAVazquez

Any lightweight Distro besides Raspbian recommended?

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 am

Apologies if the title is a bit vague. I just recently received my Raspberry pi 3. I hooked it up to a monitor and installed Raspbian. I noticed that raspbian has a ton of packages that i personally do not use nor will ever use. I'm trying to remove what isn't needed to perhaps decrease the size and overall weight of this distro. However, i feel that i should instead find myself another distro.

Why did i buy this Pi 3?
I'm a Computer Science major (STUDENT). I thought it be a great idea to buy this to both create small programs and practice some hacking skills. The whole purpose of this pi is to be an educational pi, which is why i dont need a Distro with games installed. Any distro out there that will include a simple text editor (I'll do manual compiling, C/C++) and some beginner hacking tools?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Any lightweight Distro besides Raspbian recommended?

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 am

JonathanAVazquez wrote:Apologies if the title is a bit vague. I just recently received my Raspberry pi 3. I hooked it up to a monitor and installed Raspbian. I noticed that raspbian has a ton of packages that i personally do not use nor will ever use. I'm trying to remove what isn't needed to perhaps decrease the size and overall weight of this distro. However, i feel that i should instead find myself another distro.

Why did i buy this Pi 3?
I'm a Computer Science major (STUDENT). I thought it be a great idea to buy this to both create small programs and practice some hacking skills. The whole purpose of this pi is to be an educational pi, which is why i dont need a Distro with games installed. Any distro out there that will include a simple text editor (I'll do manual compiling, C/C++) and some beginner hacking tools?
http://dietpi.com
Adieu

JonathanAVazquez

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:53 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
JonathanAVazquez wrote:Apologies if the title is a bit vague. I just recently received my Raspberry pi 3. I hooked it up to a monitor and installed Raspbian. I noticed that raspbian has a ton of packages that i personally do not use nor will ever use. I'm trying to remove what isn't needed to perhaps decrease the size and overall weight of this distro. However, i feel that i should instead find myself another distro.

Why did i buy this Pi 3?
That is soo cool! I will definetly check this out! However, i feel this is straight up command line debian lol. I prefer a GUI platform just for my simplicity and learning process. I dont think i can take the step into a full OS through the terminal. I will definitely check it out! Thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 am

Unless you have run out of SD card space, I'd just go with Raspbian. Having that stuff installed doesn't affect the Pi speed, only the storage capacity. It's easier to just get a bigger SD card and just leave everything there, than spend time removing stuff or trying to get a non-supported OS to where you want it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

k-pi

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Nothing wrong with wanting a lightweight distro, that is why I use AntiX on all my computers.
Why have stuff on your computer that you don't, & will never use - just because it's free?

No, start with a basic set up, then add the programs that you want is the way to go.
Some people get hung up on adding in the kitchen sink! :roll:

Personally, I'm awaiting OpenBSD, (but it isn't ready yet).
My usual set up of that O/S is around 1GB, & that includes programs for everything I do.
(Internet browsing, email, music, videos, etc.)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:37 pm

JonathanAVazquez wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Why did i buy this Pi 3?
That is soo cool! I will definetly check this out! However, i feel this is straight up command line debian lol. I prefer a GUI platform just for my simplicity and learning process. I dont think i can take the step into a full OS through the terminal. I will definitely check it out! Thanks!
DietPi whilst initial install is CLi it has a easy install menu to create anOperating System to suit the users requirements, and heri is the link:

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5#p5
Adieu

stderr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:14 pm

JonathanAVazquez wrote:Why did i buy this Pi 3?
I'm a Computer Science major (STUDENT). I thought it be a great idea to buy this to both create small programs and practice some hacking skills.
i feel this is straight up command line debian lol. I prefer a GUI platform just for my simplicity and learning process. I dont think i can take the step into a full OS through the terminal.
If you are a CS major, you should be using the command line. Even Windows is now command line with powershell. In any case, Raspbian jessie lite is small and you can expand it to include support for GUI stuff including not running a display on the pi but running the GUI stuff locally on the machine in front of you.

Other smaller distributions, including FreeBSD which does work on the pi and includes omxplayer, are available. I'm running freebsd on a 2gig sdcard but it's tight.

A small sdcard with tiny core linux, called picore, is also potentially useful. It boots entirely to ram and you can remove its sdcard and insert another and chroot into command line raspbian from it.

TracyLBaker

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:57 pm

JonathanAVazquez wrote:I'm a Computer Science major (STUDENT). I thought it be a great idea to buy this to both create small programs and practice some hacking skills. The whole purpose of this pi is to be an educational pi, which is why i dont need a Distro with games installed. Any distro out there that will include a simple text editor (I'll do manual compiling, C/C++) and some beginner hacking tools?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.... It is perfect for what you are describing (although it may not be what some consider to be "lightweight"): Kali Linux

I have it installed and it works fine. Also, while you are at it, get fruitywifi after Kali in installed. It already comes with gcc. Install tightvncserver and you can then either SSH into the command line of VNC into the desktop.

http://docs.kali.org/kali-on-arm/instal ... spberry-pi

https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... rm-images/
Red Hat Academy Professor - Estrella Mountain Community College
5 Pi 3 Model B+s: 1 headless media/NFS/SMB server - Raspbian Jessie, 1 Kali Linux w/fruitywifi, 1 headless CentOS 7 webserver (Apache, SELinux, firewalld, autofs, etc...), 2 in waiting

jamesh

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:14 pm

I'll reiterate my post. Raspbian is the Foundation supported, most up to date, best maintained, and best supported OS on the Pi. If you have a decent sized SD card (which cost nothing nowadays) you will save yourself a load of time and grief just by using that. If desperate you can quickly remove stuff you don't need, mathematica is usually a big one that most people don't need.

If you have plenty of time, or really cannot afford a 8GB SD card, go for one of the others, it is entirely your choice of course, but worth knowing all the facts before spending time and effort on something you might not need to do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

kusti8

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:38 pm

The thing is if you're just starting out then Raspbian is still the best. As you learn, then you can remove packages that you don't need, but if you don't need the added space yet, then those packages are not harming anything. Why touch it if it works? When you understand at least apt-get purge can you remove them.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

k-pi

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:20 am

Perhaps 'The Foundation' should consider a light weight alternative for those who basically just want a GUI & a browser, maybe just Fluxbox & Firefox, leaving the user to add the programs that they want to use.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:00 pm

k-pi wrote:Perhaps 'The Foundation' should consider a light weight alternative for those who basically just want a GUI & a browser, maybe just Fluxbox & Firefox, leaving the user to add the programs that they want to use.
You can create that by starting with Jessie Lite and adding the GUI & browser packages.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

buja

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:40 pm

k-pi wrote:Perhaps 'The Foundation' should consider a light weight alternative for those who basically just want a GUI & a browser, maybe just Fluxbox & Firefox, leaving the user to add the programs that they want to use.
I don't agree.
The Foundation does a very good job already with Raspbian (Full) and Raspbian Lite (command line).
If you want something in between you can go for DietPi (already mentioned), maybe a few others, or you can build/install a GUI on top of Raspbian Lite. Ghostraider has a very good topic on that: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133691

This just shows that there are plenty of possibilities for users to set things up in their own way, with or without help of other users or the RPF.

k-pi

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:40 pm

I fully agree, that I personally can create any size distro that I want.
But I have read a couple of post on the forum recently, requesting basically a lightweight version of Raspbian, hence my comment.
Some people who want a light version may not know how to go about installing an X desktop.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

k-pi wrote:I fully agree, that I personally can create any size distro that I want.
But I have read a couple of post on the forum recently, requesting basically a lightweight version of Raspbian, hence my comment.
Some people who want a light version may not know how to go about installing an X desktop.
Hence why DietPi is good for less experienced users, if they read the instructions before installing ;)
Adieu

buja

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:20 pm

k-pi wrote:Some people who want a light version may not know how to go about installing an X desktop.
Well, that's what Ghostraider is trying to explain in his topic.

But this brings up another question: why do people want a lightweight Linux with an X desktop?
Raspbian comes with LXDE and the Pixel theme, which is lightweight already. So there is little to gain there.

I am afraid people saying they want a light X desktop very often just don't know what they are talking about. And if they do, they probably have the knowledge, or know where to get that, do make it happen.
It's similar to people always wanting the latest version of some software, because the current version in Debian/Raspbian is so old. So what? For a particular bugfix or new feature I can understand it, but these are exceptions.

k-pi

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:50 pm

But this brings up another question: why do people want a lightweight Linux with an X desktop?
Well the one that springs to mind is the chap who wants to work from a GUI to do his programming.

Myself, basically all I need from a distro is a GUI & web browser, movie player, & music player, I don't use much else - unless I do some sound or video recording & editing.

Return to “Debian”