Professor

Mainline kernel + Debian Jessie image

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Eric Anholt and Stephen Warren did a real hard job to implement BCM283x support in mainline kernel. So, I decided to play with it and make an image with pure Debian and upstream kernel on board.

It is very basic system, however graphics, USB, bluetooth and WiFi dongles, GPIO are believed to work. I didn't figure it out yet but I think sound should work fine too.

Of course, there's a lot of problems. I can't get how to permanently set MAC address that it won't change every reboot. Second problem is strange as hell: I managed to apply necessary BT drivers and pair my keyboard and RPi, they are paired and connected, BUT there's no output from keyboard. It literally doesn't type. Since my wired keyboard is dead I can't properly work further with the system, so I hope someone will fix issues I can't fix myself.

Download link is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzaLG ... GVjakpmTzg.
Root password: debian
/boot contains bcm2836_defconfig file, it's my custom config I used to compile zImage. Kernel seems to work good so far.

By the way, if your keyboard is dead either feel free to use SSH, I installed it during debootstrap.

P.S. Don't even try to run it on Pi 1. ARM11 support is completely eliminated on kernel level.

Return to “Debian”