CHARL13IS
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 am

Official RPi WiFI on Native Wheezy

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Guys

I've taken delivery of an official RPi wifi dongle and I'm trying to get it working with a native Wheezy install. When I try and assign a static IP address to it I get the error: "wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device".

I'm guessing I'm missing some drivers, but I can't seem to find them, or instructions on how to install them. Has anyone come across this before?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Official RPi WiFI on Native Wheezy

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 pm

CHARL13IS wrote:Hi Guys

I've taken delivery of an official RPi wifi dongle and I'm trying to get it working with a native Wheezy install. When I try and assign a static IP address to it I get the error: "wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device".

I'm guessing I'm missing some drivers, but I can't seem to find them, or instructions on how to install them. Has anyone come across this before?
Wheezy last release was July 2015 and supports the BCM43143 WiFi Chooser natively..
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

CHARL13IS
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Official RPi WiFI on Native Wheezy

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm running a minimal install of Wheezy, which I found here. Is it possible that the module isn't part of the minimal image? Apologies I'm quite new to Linux.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Official RPi WiFI on Native Wheezy

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:04 pm

CHARL13IS wrote:Thanks for your response. I'm running a minimal install of Wheezy, which I found here. Is it possible that the module isn't part of the minimal image? Apologies I'm quite new to Linux.
Any reason not to use the current Raspbian Jessie Lite ? https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

CHARL13IS
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Official RPi WiFI on Native Wheezy

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Any reason not to use the current Raspbian Jessie Lite ? https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian
My preference is native Debian. I've tried the Raspbian Jessie Lite distro to prove the dongle is good, which it is. I noticed that the firmware-brcm80211 version on the Raspbian distro is 0.43+rpi3, where as on native it's just 0.43.
I've copied the sources.list entries from the Raspbian distro to native but it made no difference.

CHARL13IS
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Official RPi WiFI on Native Wheezy

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm

I've fixed it. Although I have switched to native Jessie, this might well work on Wheezy as well. For anyone else in the same boat I did the following:

Edit the sources

Code: Select all

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following line and save

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian jessie main
Run the following

Code: Select all

apt-get update
If you get an error about public keys, run the following

Code: Select all

gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 82B129927FA3303E
gpg -a --export 82B129927FA3303E | apt-key add -
And finally

Code: Select all

apt-get install firmware-brcm80211
ifconfig wlan0 up

Return to “Debian”