Snipez

Cannot access the rubbish folder in new wheezy

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm having problems deleting files because they are moved to the rubbish folder and when I try access it says "operation not allowed".

I've tried opening the file manager from sudo. Still get the same error. Then the system crashes and xorg doesn't work on restart. Obviously due to no space.

If I could just access the rubbish folder I wouldn't have to keep flashing the sdcard.

Any ideas?

Snipez

Re: Cannot access the rubbish folder in new wheezy

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Btw I'm using the latest release. Downloaded today.

Snipez

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Bumbed help please :(

Montala

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 am

This is at least the second thread I have seen on this topic, so it does look as if some users are experiencing problems.

Perhaps this is something which requires looking into a bit further?

portets

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:47 am

I too get "Operation not supported" whenever I try to do anything in the rubbish bin. Like creating a new folder.

And anything I send there just disappears. I don't get crashes though.

jojopi

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse
killall pcmanfm

paulhath

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:23 pm

A work-around I've found (at least, for a usb flash drive - I haven't dared try o9n the main SD card):
In a terminal at the root of the drive, look for a directory with a name like .Trash-0
(use ls -a to find it)
cd to this directory, then ls -a again and rm -rf (directory name) for each directory you find.

Now I wait for a Linux expert to tell me this is incredibly dodgy...

balon

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Spent a long time researching this and getting the pcmanfm file manager's "trash bin" or "rubbish bin" to work in the stock Raspbian (version 2013-12 edition) OS / LXDE.

The following worked for me:
1. Edit (i.e., 'sudo nano') the file: /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
2. Locate line: "@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE "
3. Change line to the following: @dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE "
4. Reboot your pi...

Note sure if this is the "right way" - but worked for me: enabled the trash can... (but I lost visibility to the 2 SDcard partitions in the file-manager! - reason unknown. Argh!)
Essentially I think this enables the file-manager to be informed via the dbus messaging system (which adds some cpu overhead) to be informed of events such as when files enter the 'trash can'. This corrected the "Operation not allowed" error when viewing the Trash Can folder in the file-manager. (It may even help with other subtleties that need the dbus infrastructure as well.)

Hope this helps others on the "trash can" issue.

Now...to try to figure-out the 2 SDcard partition visibility and "missing applications" folder issue in the file-manager.....

UPDATE: Fixed the issue above in a better way. I am running "headless" (no console monitor/keyboard/mouse - rather am using Xming on a Windows-PC). I was simply starting the desktop using "lxsession". Better way is to use "startlxde" which is a script supplied in Raspbian to start the lxde gui session. Result: (1) Trash can works!; (2) Application Folder works and is populated in the file-manager!. (3) The two SDcard partitions are no longer listed in the left-pane - not an issue, as they are available as "/boot" folder and the "/" (i.e., root) filesystem itself.

As a result of this finding, I reverted the "/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart" file, removing the "dbus-launch" at the beginning of the line. Essentially, the startlxde script takes care of the sequencing of the dbus-launch for you there.

An excellent resource for all this is: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCManFM
And the related entries on: Openbox https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox and LXDE https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDE.

Prepare to spend some time understanding how all these facilities work, if you are debugging these file-manager (pcmanfm) issues.

Hopefully the above will help someone else....

Return to “Debian”