dmwiig

Using R with the Pi

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:18 pm

I just got my Pi up and running as a Wordpress server and am now in the process of installing the R statistical programming base package. I hope to use to the Pi as a platform for R work and package development. If you are interested in this type of project stop by and join the discussion at raspberrypiandr.no-ip-org/wordpress.

DougW

dmwiig

Re: Using R with the Pi

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:20 pm

Correction: the url for my Wordpress site is raspberrypiandr.no-ip.org.

DougW

dmwiig

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 pm

I have successfully installed R version 2.15 on my Pi using the package manager that is part of the Raspian distribution. This version works fine and seems very stable on Raspian. I have not as yet tried installing version 3.xx to see if it also works. I am going to try install the RStudio IDE on Raspian but have not yet found the time to do so. I am also hosting a Wordpress site on my Pi devoted to providing information on both R and the Pi. It is found at http://raspberrypiandr.no-ip.org/wordpress.

I would love to hear about your projects and interests in using R and the Pi in an educational setting. I teach social science statistics and the university level and am very interested in the potential of this type of open source software as a research and learning tool in the classroom.

DW

mitchbu

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Hey Doug,

I am very happy to find someone with the same idea as me. I have a little project in mind using R and raspbian.
Roughly, what I want to do is the following:
- R on raspbian runs a script automatically every saturday night and compiles a PDF report about the output (weekly data) and uploads it to my google drive or dropbox or wherever.
- On Sunday morning I can access the report from my android tablet read the updated info together with a coffee :D

Anyways, these ideas are way off in the future, since I am already struggling with basics. R in general is not the problem since I use it almost daily. On my raspbian so far I got XBMC running and working and I am super glad with it.

However, I managed to install R using

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install r-base
But when I want to install more packages, for instance "foreign", I am already running into troubles.

>  install.packages("foreign")
Installiere Paket(e) nach '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
(da 'lib' nicht spezifiziert)
--- Bitte einen CRAN Spiegel für diese Sitzung auswählen ---
Fehler in if (ht < length(choices)) { :
  Fehlender Wert, wo TRUE/FALSE nötig ist
Zusätzlich: Warnmeldung:
In tcltk::tk_select.list(choices, preselect, multiple, title) :
  NAs durch Umwandlung erzeugt
>
I would also love to install Version 3.x.x as mentioned on this website http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/README.html but adding deb http://http://cran.r-mirror.de/bin/linux/debian wheezy-cran3/ to the file /etc/apt/sources.list does not work. I have to mention that LINUX installations still give me a headache each time and I need to have a step-by-step procedure.

You refer to you blog, but I cannot access the website:
http://raspberrypiandr.net/wordpress
http://raspberrypiandr.no-ip.org/wordpress/

The pages read:
Neither /etc/wordpress/config-raspberrypiandr.no-ip.org.php nor /etc/wordpress/config-no-ip.org.php could be found.
Ensure one of them exists, is readable by the webserver and contains the right password/username.

Additionally, I would love to work with R-Studio on raspbian, but this is not required as I will do the coding on my PC and just upload the script to the pi.

Since it looks like you really know what you are doing, I would appreciate it a lot if you could give me some clues about to solve my issues.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Michael

lvphj

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:00 pm

I was having the same problem as Michael when installing the foreign package for R on my RaspberryPi (Raspbian Wheezy). After starting R and entering install.packages(foreign), I received a message saying that:

package ‘foreign’ is not available (for R version 2.15.1)
Previous versions of the foreign package are available at http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/foreign/ – so I decided to compile the library from source. These are the steps I followed:

1. Create two new nested directories in your home folder that will be used to store the libraries (and the downloaded archive):
i. ~/lib/R/library
ii. ~/lib/R/archives

2. Using a text editor, create a text file called .Renviron and save it in your home directory. (N.B. This file name begins with a full stop and, therefore, is invisible.) R looks for this file when it first starts up. To ensure that installed packages are, by default, saved to ~/lib/R/library, the text file should contain the line:

R_LIBS="~/lib/R/library:${R_LIBS}"
3. By trawling through the foreign archive files, I found that the last version to be compatible with R 2.15.1 is foreign 0.8.54. Therefore, downloaded the file foreign_0.8-54.tar.gz and saved it in ~/lib/R/archives.

4. Start R from the command line by entering:

$ R
5. At the R prompt, enter:

> install.packages("~/lib/R/archives/foreign_0.8-54.tar.gz”, repos=NULL, type="source")
6. Load the foreign library at the R prompt using:

> library(foreign)
That's it. Seems to work OK. I managed to import a very simple Stata .dta file with no problems but I haven't had chance to text it extensively yet.

xinkaiwang

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:32 am

hi Michael,
I'm new to this area. Not 100% sure why you want to use pi to function as a server (like do some data processing as a daemon job). In my opinion, I don't mind to have a real X86 server to do this job. A EC2 t2 micro instance should be good enough. I think pi is special because it's small and light-weight and powerful. So it's really suitable to run machine learning algorithms on it and create smart 4WD or robots. For example how about a self-balancing 2-weel robot with visual machine learning? He can see stuff and learn from what he see, for instance, recognize you and following you; remember the path and go roaming by him-self?

BTW, the workpress web-site seems to be down. I wish I can find more people have similar visions like me.

xinkai

jsraadt

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:57 am

The "foreign" package in R is already installed. Just use

require(foreign)
or

library(foreign)
to initialize the package.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”