adafruit

Sneak Peek Adafruit Raspberry Pi WebIDE

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Sneak Peek Adafruit Raspberry Pi WebIDE
http://youtu.be/mbwxXzIPxdc

We love the Raspberry Pi. This tiny computer has so much potential for makers, and it is offered at an extremely reasonable price. The one thing we didn't like about the Pi is how inaccesible it is to those who are new to Linux. So, the tiny team that brought you the Adafruit Learning System set out to develop our own way to open up the Raspberry Pi for everyone. What started out as a barebones, and basic way to get code running on your Pi, turned into something much more awesome. The Raspberry Pi WebIDE is extremely easy to use, but also very feature-rich and powerful. Here is a sneak peek at just a few of its many features.

As the name suggests, the Raspberry Pi WebIDE is entirely web based. No need to install any software on your computer. Just open any modern browser, and connect to your Pi. Oh, and all of your code is stored in the cloud.

We have also included a built-in terminal so you can listen to, and talk directly with your Raspberry Pi.

We have so many cool things planned for the WebIDE, and expect to have plenty of updates (especially at the beginning). The last thing you want is to have to manually reinstall the WebIDE on your Pi with each update. So, we have a built-in automatic updater. One click and you will be updated to the latest version available.

This is just a sneak peek, and covers only a few of it's many features. We are still in the Alpha development phase but are moving fast. As soon as we think it is stable enough for public testing, we will let you know.

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/09/19 ... pi-webide/

-ladyada and team!

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Sneak Peek Adafruit Raspberry Pi WebIDE

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Neat, I can see this being useful for lots of people. Is this based on the Cloud9 IDE?

adafruit

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm

thank you! we are using bitbucket!

osbock

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:16 pm

First, let me say that WebIDE is fabulous!
Now the but, which is I'm having trouble using it to collaborate on a project because (I think) I don't understand how git repos work in WebIDE.

A friend invited me to his repo on bitbucket, and it shows up there. After installing webIDE, I couldn't just add the repo (I think because it's the same name, my-pi-projects) so I did a git clone in bash.

Problem is, even with a checkout, I don't pick up changes he makes, and my checkin/push doesn't show up in his repo.

A git pull does pull down his changes. Maybe this is obvious for someone who "gits" it but I'm a bit lost. Please help?

PS. I did think of Forking, but that would mean doing pulls, and really we are both part of the same team.

jagoda

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi,
I agree with your comments about difficulty of using the RaspberryPi by non Linux experts ...
I would very much like to get involved with testing and evaluating your PiWEB IDE and incorporating it into RaspberryPi workshops for teachers

RaspberryPiBeginners

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I've had this working in the past but i cant get it working at the moment. I know/understand it's an alpha so i guess i have 2 questions.

1. Do you know when more work will be done on it for a more stable release?
2. How can i fix my current issue.
Reading state information... Done
git is already the newest version.
nodejs is already the newest version.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nodejs : Breaks: npm (< 1.1.4~dfsg-2~) but 1.1.4~dfsg-1 is to be installed
npm : Depends: node-semver but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Click here for my unofficial YouTube Channel > http://goo.gl/oFYBD

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”