rplantz

Free assembly language book available online

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm

My college-level textbook, Introduction to Computer Organization: ARM Assembly Language Using the Raspberry Pi, is ready for use at http://bob.cs.sonoma.edu. It is being used in the classroom for the first time this semester (Fall 2016) at Sonoma State University and Santa Rosa Jr. College.

All the programming is done with GNU tools already installed with Raspbian. Using my RPi 3, I can read the book with Epiphany while programming in a Terminal window.

I used MathBook XML to author the book. It is still undergoing development, so some of the formatting will change as I bring the early chapters up to the newer standards.

Comments are very welcome, especially any errors that you see.

fos

Re: Free assembly language book available online

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Thank you for sharing. I will download, give it a try and comment.

Jeff
https://faroutscience.com

RudyB

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:02 pm

is this book still up for download.
Can't seem to connect to this site for a few days now.
Maybe the book can be downloaded anywhere else?

regards

rplantz

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:54 pm

That's odd, I just clicked on the link (Chrome, Windows 10) and it opened right away. Have you tried typing in the url by hand? I used Chromium on my RPi3 (running PIXEL) to open the site last night.

The book is in HTML, created by Mathbook XML (https://mathbook.pugetsound.edu/), so is not downloadable. It is online. It is being used in the classroom this semester, which will provide me some feedback. I anticipate some changes, after which I plan to create a paperback version. This should be available early next year.

scruss

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks, Bob. The Mathbook presentation looks pretty good in Chromium on a Raspberry Pi 3 — a lot like O'Reilly's Safari Books Online.

I was just wondering about learning ARM assembly (I was all about the Z80 three decades ago …) and your book looks like a great place to start.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

rplantz

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Thank you for the kind words, scruss. I hope that the book does provide a good place to start learning about the ARM for people like you. I imagine you will skim over the first part of the book, until you get to the assembly language programming. Then when I describe the instructions, I use notation that is similar to the ARM manuals. I'm hoping this makes it easier for readers to use the manuals to extend their expertise.

And please let me know if you encounter any errors in the book.

--Bob

ejolson

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:44 pm

rplantz wrote:I hope that the book does provide a good place to start learning about the ARM for people like you. I imagine you will skim over the first part of the book, until you get to the assembly language programming. Then when I describe the instructions, I use notation that is similar to the ARM manuals. I'm hoping this makes it easier for readers to use the manuals to extend their expertise.
It looks like a nice book. I like how it leverages previous C experience and find this reasonable because mixing assembly with C is probably more common than with other languages.

Your book seems related to the topic whether there is any use of teaching assembly language. Unfortunately, that thread was was recently locked. Such longer threads often get linked by search engines, so it is useful to update them even if they are old. For example, it would have been nice to put a link from that thread to this one so people who found that thread would know about this one.

The first book I read on programming was Introduction to Programming. That book starts out with an entire chapter on logic and octal arithmetic before discussing assembly language. For obvious reasons no prior high-level programming knowledge was assumed. At any rate learning a little assembly has provided me with a certain intuition regarding how computer hardware works that has served well.

RudyB

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:09 am

rplantz wrote:That's odd, I just clicked on the link (Chrome, Windows 10) and it opened right away. Have you tried typing in the url by hand? I used Chromium on my RPi3 (running PIXEL) to open the site last night.
Thank you. I just checked on a different internetprovider and there the page loads without problems.
Very strange, using my DSL connection, no connection. Using my fiber connection and the page loads.

By the way, great reading this material.

cirosantilli

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:26 am

I am working on: https://github.com/cirosantilli/arm-assembly-cheat

Features:

- covers both ARMv7 and ARMv8
- the exact same assembly also works on QEMU, so you can try stuff out faster on your host before going native
- good GDB setup out of the box, both on host and native
- has asserts that show the assembly line number where things failed
- uses the C standard library for IO, which makes it OS portable in theory, and allows to easily reuse goodies like `printf` and `memcpy`

carlsmith

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Robert. I was going to study Introduction to Computer Organization: ARM Assembly Language Using the Raspberry Pi, but the restrictive license put me off.

I always typeset the textbooks I study so they render perfectly on my ebook reader (with grayscale syntax highlighting and navigation that takes advantage of the hardware), and will edit stuff and add a kind of marginalia over time. My ebook reader is over ten years old, so I rarely share anything I make for it, but the work is part of the learning process for me, even if only five people ever read it.

A GPL style license would be awesome.

rplantz

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 am

I'm sorry that the book does not meet your needs. I have some contractual agreements regarding use of the material, so there isn't much I can do at this time. The contract does allow me to maintain a free copy online, but I cannot share the source. As stated on my website, I am retired, so all the work I put into the book was on my own time.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”