lilzz

I can't copy-n-paste mathmatical formula from PDF.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:17 pm

I trying to copy mathmatical formula from pdf file to word document, but it's crooked and lost the subscript and style of the font from pdf to word once I do a copy-n-paste. How do I get around this?

DougieLawson

Re: I can't copy-n-paste mathmatical formula from PDF.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:10 am

You'll have to type them in by hand. It's well known that copy'n'paste from PDFs is unreliable due to the way PDFs handle their text formatting.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ejolson

Re: I can't copy-n-paste mathmatical formula from PDF.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:59 am

andrewbrosnan wrote:You had better type the mathematical formulas using MS word and then copy-n-paste. Word has options to create mathematical formulas and equations.
I'm not sure that MS Word runs on a Pi computer. From what I've been told the equation editor in LibreOffice is better than MS Word. At the same time, both programs create amateurish looking results compared to the equations in books and pdf files that were created with mathematical typesetting software. If you need much more than one or two equations in your document, it would be reasonable to use LaTeX.

Learning how to use LaTeX will require reading a users guide, just like learning a programming language such as Python. There are some LaTeX editing environments that can make getting started easier. Since typing the formulas is faster and more efficient than using mouse menus, LaTeX documents with mathematical formulas can also be created using a standard text editor such as Vim.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”